Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What do you hate about Britain?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What do you hate about Britain?
    Immigration levels
    34.36%
    Education system
    21.47%
    Weather
    39.88%
    Tuition fees
    32.52%
    British people
    24.85%
    Lack of jobs
    34.97%
    High cost of living
    36.50%
    Crime
    33.44%
    British culture
    20.55%
    Lack of national pride
    24.85%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the wake of statistics about the large proportion of Britons who are dejected, apathetic and eager to emigrate, I thought I'd set up a miniature TSR poll - to see what's bothering young people in the UK about this country.

So, as a complement to the poll, what do you hate about Britain?

I just find it depressing. I find the dejection a vicious circle, as glumness begets glumness, almost. We have so little pride in ourselves, our local communities and our country as a whole. I'm not one for flag-waving patriotism, but a basic sense of taking pride in where you live seems to be missing in Britain. This is, of course, compounded and fuelled by our problems with high costs of living, a poor education system prior to university and a lack of jobs. We're a despondent little island, and I just don't find it pleasant to live here.

That being said, I'm not planning to leave. I do love this country, for better or for worse. It's not a matter of being a patriot or a nationalist - just a sense that my community is worth saving, rather than abandoning (not that I cast judgement on those who leave - there are quite a few reasons to).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't there an option for repetitive, pointless threads on TSR?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, I can't believe you didn't put Benefit Scroungers On that list, they're far worse than your options. The feeling of entitlement those people have is unparalleled.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    considering its going to rain for the next 7 days take a wild guess!!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    all of them - but then i am emigrating, or migrating depending on how you want to look at it

oh and where is your source for these statistics, id like to look at them please.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderline)
    Why isn't there an option for repetitive, pointless threads on TSR?
    Because then you'd all vote for it, and I'd look silly.

Here's the statistics: http://www.emigrationgroup.co.uk/367...seas-migration

Just one of many sources.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A better question would be what don't you hate about Britain. My conclusion is that British people are more polite...that's about it
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Very few things. Poor and insufficient education and skills training directly contribute to the lack of jobs.

Weather isn't bad, try living in Cambridge where it only rains like 5 times a year. And with good old global warming the weather is only going to get better!

The other things mentioned are things I like about living in the UK. I wonder how many people whining have actually ever lived anywhere else?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Self-righteous attitudes. "I am more important than you/ I deserve that more than you/ get out of my way" ugh people are just rude it drives me crazy, I wish British people would be more polite and respect one another a bit more. A lot of people seem to think they are entitled to everything on a plate.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The newspapers.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can you complain about high cost of living? We have one of the highest mean real incomes in the world. Tuition fees have been eliminated altogether.

British people and culture are generally great, and our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    EDL/BNP people.
    Education system.
    Elitism.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    British people and culture are generally great, and our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud.
    "British people and culture are generally great."
    "Our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those two statements seem contradictory to me. How can you appreciate British people and culture without appreciating Britain?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Compared to about 95% of the other countries out there, we have it pretty damn good. So stop complaining.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

Having lived abroad, newspapers like the Mail that try to make Britain a less tolerant place.

Where I live there is strong national pride, which is fine, but there is also greater acceptance of attitudes towards minorities in society which, as someone who's grown up in Britain, are shocking, but which pass without comment.

Not a big fan of the North/South divide either.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate the disrespectful, inbred, no-future teenagers that wash around the lower echelons of society like so much fecal matter.

Btw you've missed a few points on the poll (though I guess there's a limit to how many choices you can get down there before it's useless) but I don't mind immigration levels whatsoever, I mind the limp-wristed attitude our country has towards deporting immigrants that cross the line.
    In dubai the police force and legal system is somewhat feared, and in reality it makes it a better place to live.
    Obviously there'll be some who are innocent yet fall on the wrong side and suffer, but there's no youth yobs, hardly any violence, immigrants serve jail terms and are then deported without question. They are simply thrown out.
    Whereas in the UK there'd be a bloody year of appeal ****, and then there'd be the criminal trying to claim human rights violations and all sorts of crap. Our society is lacking in steel, and it's resulting in Britain becoming a gelatinous goo of pansies.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Compared to about 95% of the other countries out there, we have it pretty damn good. So stop complaining.
    Yet countries at similar levels of wealth, if we're using that as the determinant, have much more satisfied citizens. I don't think it's wrong to ask why, and seek to rectify it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudball)
    "British people and culture are generally great."
    "Our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those two statements seem contradictory to me. How can you appreciate British people and culture without appreciating Britain?
    Ah you have clearly missed out on that other great British trait, irony.

Surely just the sentence "Our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud." is self-contradictory, no?
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:

Surely just the sentence "Our lack of national pride makes me extremely proud." is self-contradictory, no?
    Well not really, perhaps you view national pride as a herd-method, like fanatical american patriots. So you'd be proud that we, as a nation, are cynical enough to not follow such things :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I understood the irony. I didn't understand your reasoning.
    Why are we to have knowledge of our positive attributes, but not take pride in them? What's wrong with being proud to be British?

Not in a nationalistic way - just a sense of belonging to a community and identity you view as worthwhile and worth contributing to.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.