Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you hate about Britain?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: What do you hate about Britain?
    Immigration levels
    34.36%
    Education system
    21.47%
    Weather
    39.88%
    Tuition fees
    32.52%
    British people
    24.85%
    Lack of jobs
    34.97%
    High cost of living
    36.50%
    Crime
    33.44%
    British culture
    20.55%
    Lack of national pride
    24.85%

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notethis)
    A lack of national pride inhibits accuracy in a comparison of cultures. It's lazy. All cultures are not equal. Some have a tendency to stagnate a population.

Can you explain your reasoning behind your being proud of our lack of national pride?
    I draw the honourable gentleman's attention to post 26.
    • 35 followers

The bland food!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't like the weather.

The rest doesn't bother me that much.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose_uni08)
    Yeah that's pretty common in my home town, but I think people generally tend to show some manners to people they perceive to have authority and I guess in that instance, the bus driver has authority since it's his bus! But to people in the street? I think there is generally a distinct lack of manners. I was in Birmingham a few weeks ago and a girl, probably around the age of eighteen, started shouting at me to get the f*** out of her way for no apparent reason, she could easily have gone around me if I was walking too slowly for her liking. Obviously, that kind of thing doesn't happen every day and it's just one example, but people just seem to think they are above being nice to other people in my opinion.
    though to be fair, it is what one would think of (not that instance you mentioned, i mean general negative impression) when describing a city (or places near cities)...
    id assume this kind of hostility towards your fellow (wo)man would be the same in any city across the world, not necessarily a pitfall due to britain itself

probably because cities have larger populations than say towns, where you may have a better sense of a community. ive contemplated moving to a normal town away from nearby cities, but not too sure
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This constant idea its going to the dogs, and has been for years. No one speaks English, and we have no culture.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    The bland food!
    Wtf. Seriously? Compared to where?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably our attitude towards success, we tend to dislike "winners" or really confident people, which I think is wrong. Also we do not take pride in our country unlike other countries in the world.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate all the welfare the middle classes get, and then the same people complain about the pittance people get on JSA.

Also hate the weather during the Winter.
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    considering its going to rain for the next 7 days take a wild guess!!
    Pasties?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    All of the above and more.
    Lets not forget the increasing waist line and growing amount of prescriptions for antidepressants.

(Original post by py0alb)
    Wtf. Seriously? Compared to where?
    France
    Italy
    Germany
    Spain
    Greece
    China
    India
    Thailand
    Turkey

...need I go on?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Parliament. Note, not the government. As much as I hate the current government the alternative doesn't fill me with joy either.
    I don't like or agree with any of the political parties. I try to vote for the ones that most align with my views because I don't like not voting but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled if they got into government because they'll do just as bad a job as the rest.

It's why I do want to move to another country. Yes, I would most likely be as annoyed at that government as I am for the UK one, but in another country I can't do anything about it. I can't vote because I won't be a citizen so it won't bother me as much because I can't do anything about it. Whereas now, I can vote but it's pretty pointless.

I probably haven't explained that very well, but oh well.

I might go live in another country for a while, if I can, but I know I will always come back to Britain. (Well, I might move to somewhere that has better care for the elderly when I get old, if I can (doubtful) )

I do love Britain. I love the countryside, I love the history of the place. I mean, I'm currently sitting in a building that was completed in the 1600s, it was the building where Charles Darwin was educated and if I look out of the window to my left I can see Tudor buildings and a castle of which the oldest bits are about 950 years old.
    Within walking distance from my house is a fort where people lived 2,500 years ago. It's kind of amazing when you think about it.
    I know other countries have their own history which is just as interesting but I've grown up around this stuff and it fascinates me.

So I don't like the political side of Britain and all that it entails and I'm also not so keen on some of the culture (the more modern culture - the binge drinking, nightclubs, etc) but I love the place. I love the land and I love the history.
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudball)
    Because then you'd all vote for it, and I'd look silly.
    Not our problem

(Original post by Tudball)
    Here's the statistics: http://www.emigrationgroup.co.uk/367...seas-migration

Just one of many sources.
    Yeah,that source isn't going to be biased at all :rolleyes:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    All of the above and more.
    Lets not forget the increasing waist line and growing amount of prescriptions for antidepressants.

France
    Italy
    Germany
    Spain
    Greece
    China
    India
    Thailand
    Turkey

...need I go on?
    Only France really compares. British cuisine -both traditional and modern - is more interesting and varied than any of the rest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All these people who want to emigrate are suffering from The Grass is Greener mentality. Why do they think having their little patch of land and job elsewhere will be so much better for them?
    I'm glad I was born in this country.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Only France really compares. British cuisine -both traditional and modern - is more interesting and varied than any of the rest.
    Erm, no.
    British traditional cuisine is simply low quality meat with root vegetables, or very cheap fish. Either way, it is pretty dire.

Modern "British" cuisine is merely an amalgamation of international foods, and America will always win in that area.
    However the other countries don't bother doing this because of the variation and good quality of their standard dishes.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Taxes and increasing Fuel Prices
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Erm, no.
    British traditional cuisine is simply low quality meat with root vegetables, or very cheap fish. Either way, it is pretty dire.

Modern "British" cuisine is merely an amalgamation of international foods, and America will always win in that area.
    However the other countries don't bother doing this because of the variation and good quality of their standard dishes.
    lol what uninformed rubbish. British meat has always traditionally been the highest quality in the world, hence the reason we never needed to invent strongly flavoured sauces to hide the poor quality like the French (garlic) or the Indians (spices).

I've lived in the US. The cuisine is actually pretty poor, and varies in quality enormously from region to region. What in the UK would be considered to be a fast food joint is considered a good quality family restaurant in the US. It's almost impossible to get a decent curry. The UK on the other hand, has the 2nd highest number of Michelin starred resturants in the world (behind France).

The cuisine in the majority of Europe is alarmingly monotonous. In Italy you soon get bored of pizza and pasta, in turkey you get bored of kebabs, and in Germany you get bored of schnitzel and sausages. The availability of foreign cuisine is limited, and the standard tends to be very poor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees, Unemployment, high costs of living, crime and unpredictable weather.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The liberal culture
    The 'anti-fascists' who are actually just fascist
    The Guardian
    Political correctness
    People bending over backwards to deny and suppress negative stories about immigrants
    People who don't say 'thank you'
    The Labour Party
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose_uni08)
    Yeah that's pretty common in my home town, but I think people generally tend to show some manners to people they perceive to have authority and I guess in that instance, the bus driver has authority since it's his bus! But to people in the street? I think there is generally a distinct lack of manners. I was in Birmingham a few weeks ago and a girl, probably around the age of eighteen, started shouting at me to get the f*** out of her way for no apparent reason, she could easily have gone around me if I was walking too slowly for her liking. Obviously, that kind of thing doesn't happen every day and it's just one example, but people just seem to think they are above being nice to other people in my opinion.
    Sounds about right. One of the other reasons i hate this dump of country and cant wait to get out.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.