Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you hate about Britain?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: What do you hate about Britain?
    Immigration levels
    34.36%
    Education system
    21.47%
    Weather
    39.88%
    Tuition fees
    32.52%
    British people
    24.85%
    Lack of jobs
    34.97%
    High cost of living
    36.50%
    Crime
    33.44%
    British culture
    20.55%
    Lack of national pride
    24.85%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aust1n)
    EDL/BNP people.
    Education system.
    Elitism.
    What is wrong with elitism? Illustrate your answer with examples drawn from at least three different spheres of British cultural life (20 marks),
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hm. The drinking water, I guess.

(Original post by silverbolt)
    i hate this dump of country and cant wait to get out.
    I feel the same about where I live (rural France). Are you in a particularly crappy part?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lack of national pride is #1 for me because when people talk about our country they don't seem to be proud of living here.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Cost of Living
    2. Weather
    3. Relaxed attitudes by government/ officials to people of ethnic backgrounds commiting crimes/terror.
    4. Lack of enterprise and manufacturing in Britian
    5. Overcrowded
    6. Mickey mouse degrees offered by universities ( Beach management wth?)
    7. High rate of tax!
    8. Everything centered around London
    9. Rubbish Skylines
    10. ALL IMPORTANTLY - FREDDOS COST TOO MUCH!!!

WHY THE FREDDOSSSS!!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness gone mad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Erm, no.
    British traditional cuisine is simply low quality meat with root vegetables, or very cheap fish. Either way, it is pretty dire.

Modern "British" cuisine is merely an amalgamation of international foods, and America will always win in that area.
    However the other countries don't bother doing this because of the variation and good quality of their standard dishes.
    What a load of abject rubbish! Have you never had a Welsh cockle pie, Welsh cawl with stwn, bacon and laverbread, a roast haunch of Scottish Highland venison, haggis and neeps, partan bree or cullen skink, an Ulster fry, stelk or potato cakes, home cooked rib of beef and Yorkshire pudding, saunders, a real Melton Mowbray pork pie with home made piccalilli or a steak and kidney pudding with oysters? This is traditional British cuisine, along with a large number of other excellent dishes, and only a total ignoramus would make such a fatuous comment:mad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You forgot to put 'Misanthropes who moan about their country instead of appreciating its positives' on the list
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    Sounds about right. One of the other reasons i hate this dump of country and cant wait to get out.
    Nobody will miss you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Allthough its true that Britain is a better place to live than other countries there are things I still hate.
    1. The constant rain and drizzle-yet water companies say theres not enough water so up their prices.
    2. People who moan about 'benefit scroungers' yet adore the royal family.
    3. High cost of living.
    4. Poor and expensive public transport.
    5. uneven sex ratio-more men
    6. Snobbery-esp. in regards to home ownership, education
    7. Celebrity culture
    8. Poor TV
    9. Baby Boomers
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrahamRodney)
    What a load of abject rubbish! Have you never had a Welsh cockle pie, Welsh cawl with stwn, bacon and laverbread, a roast haunch of Scottish Highland venison, haggis and neeps, partan bree or cullen skink, an Ulster fry, stelk or potato cakes, home cooked rib of beef and Yorkshire pudding, saunders, a real Melton Mowbray pork pie with home made piccalilli or a steak and kidney pudding with oysters? This is traditional British cuisine, along with a large number of other excellent dishes, and only a total ignoramus would make such a fatuous comment:mad:
    All of that is exactly what I described, low quality meat with maybe some root vegetables. Just because it is in pastry does not hide the contents from me.

The flavour of many of those meals are also pretty dire, hence why it is rare for people to eat them and no restaurant I can think of would ever dream of serving that crap.

(Original post by py0alb)
    lol what uninformed rubbish. British meat has always traditionally been the highest quality in the world, hence the reason we never needed to invent strongly flavoured sauces to hide the poor quality like the French (garlic) or the Indians (spices).

I've lived in the US. The cuisine is actually pretty poor, and varies in quality enormously from region to region. What in the UK would be considered to be a fast food joint is considered a good quality family restaurant in the US. It's almost impossible to get a decent curry. The UK on the other hand, has the 2nd highest number of Michelin starred resturants in the world (behind France).

The cuisine in the majority of Europe is alarmingly monotonous. In Italy you soon get bored of pizza and pasta, in turkey you get bored of kebabs, and in Germany you get bored of schnitzel and sausages. The availability of foreign cuisine is limited, and the standard tends to be very poor.
    :rofl:
    So then why is this high quality meat always hidden in pies, pastries, and stews? Because traditionally the average person could only afford the crap.

We had no herbs so we mushed everything into one massive broth. Just a different way to hide the flavour.

Italy is just pizza and pasta? Turkey just has kebabs?
    Well I think this shows how ignorant or naive you are of actual foreign cuisine. Stop talking about something you clearly don't have a clue about :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The way that our value system has built into it that our values = good, other values = evil and that good must fight evil. We pretend to have respect for other cultures when what we really mean is we respect peoples right to eat, dress, speak and worship differently. If another culture wants to consider adultery to be a serious crime its up to them. We whine about islamic culture, halal meat etc being forced on us when we're more guilty of ramming our values down peoples throats than anyone else. We think our values are better, but thats what others think.

Not only is there hypocrisy in that. Theres the way western governments only decide that our cultural imperialism should be directed at people who they feel like attacking. Soudi arabia does all the things Iran does and yet we only hear about Iran. If we wanna attack someone we should be honest about why. "It's very important for the security of our country that we have a secure supply of oil" "after the hard time the jews have had we decided they could use a friend and friends look out for each other" rather than the hypocritical bull**** about Iran not having enough feminists that everyone goes along with because of the aforementioned good/evil stuff in our values.

I know someone is going to say "oh right so you don't think its wrong to have the death penalty for adultery?" That isnt the point. The point is that whatever I think I have no right to go and force other people to think the same. If I did i'd have no moral high ground when communists of muslims happened to have the bigger army.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    All of that is exactly what I described, low quality meat with maybe some root vegetables. Just because it is in pastry does not hide the contents from me.

The flavour of many of those meals are also pretty dire, hence why it is rare for people to eat them and no restaurant I can think of would ever dream of serving that crap.

:rofl:
    So then why is this high quality meat always hidden in pies, pastries, and stews? Because traditionally the average person could only afford the crap.

We had no herbs so we mushed everything into one massive broth. Just a different way to hide the flavour.

Italy is just pizza and pasta? Turkey just has kebabs?
    Well I think this shows how ignorant or naive you are of actual foreign cuisine. Stop talking about something you clearly don't have a clue about :rolleyes:
    I've visited both countries. Have you?

Pies, pastries and stews? What about steaks, roasts, joints, chops, fillets? you just forget about them?

We have no herbs? WTF? Are you kidding? :facepalm2: please learn a little bit about a subject before embarrassing yourself in future.

You've also obviously never eaten in any restaurant posher than Nando's if you've never seen the above items on the menu.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've visited both countries. Have you?

Pies, pastries and stews? What about steaks, roasts, joints, chops, fillets? you just forget about them?

We have no herbs? WTF? Are you kidding? :facepalm2: please learn a little bit about a subject before embarrassing yourself in future.

You've also obviously never eaten in any restaurant posher than Nando's if you've never seen the above items on the menu.
    Well either you are lying or went to the worst, cheapest tourist parts in those countries as the cuisine is far beyond the crap you described.

Steak, joints, etc are not exactly unique now are they? :rofl: They are simply cuts of meat.

And do you think out herbs contend with spices? Lets see, rosemary vs chilli or saffron, or other spices etc? Either your taste buds are broken, or you have never cooked properly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    schools in britain are crap from what i heard.

High School life in Greece
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX4-ttYNF6Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIVfK2UL7HY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2by...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W99BWEYYYBA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0c9KrPWOa0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW7TyIgobVg
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of countries do that, just most of them don't make a big deal out of it like the media do in this country. You can pretty much divide the world into two, those that relax with alcohol and those that are backwards and oppressive regimes.
    Name one civilised, liberal nation who drink significantly less than us.

Binge drinking is not a problem, it is a symptom.
    Yeah, but most places don't have it on quite the same scale to us. ( http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fo...e-20132-2.html )

And relaxing with alcohol is different from large numbers of alcoholics and binge drinkers. Having a few beers with friends, or wine over a meal, or in moderation at a party. The idea that you can only have fun when pissed, pisses me off.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plimsolls)
    All these people who want to emigrate are suffering from The Grass is Greener mentality. Why do they think having their little patch of land and job elsewhere will be so much better for them?
    I'm glad I was born in this country.
    Well the OP's question was asking what we hated about Britain, not whether we think Britain is worse than other countries! :fyi:

Personally I prefer Britain over anywhere else really, in terms of the people, weather, countryside, walks, cuisine options, public transport etc.

I think we're lacking on historical culture, but that's partly because I find the Middle Ages rather boring, but love the Far East's history
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The media
    The obsession with celebrities who have lower intelligence than a donkeys
    The rude/pretentious/superficial people
    Cost of living
    The spineless, PC (and therefore lacking common sense) law/justice system
    The drinking culture (although Ireland and a lot of Scandinavian countries are just as bad in that sense)

There seems to be less of these problems in Scotland though, so I won't necessarily label those things as 'what I hate about Britain'.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well either you are lying or went to the worst, cheapest tourist parts in those countries as the cuisine is far beyond the crap you described.

Steak, joints, etc are not exactly unique now are they? :rofl: They are simply cuts of meat.

And do you think out herbs contend with spices? Lets see, rosemary vs chilli or saffron, or other spices etc? Either your taste buds are broken, or you have never cooked properly.
    Which of the two have you been to? You didn't say.

So what if steaks are no longer unique? Neither are sandwiches, doesn't mean they're not British cuisine.

Is rosemary the only British spice you could think of? lol. what a buffoon.

Lets face it: UK has the best beer (probably equal with Germany/Belgium), the best cheese, the best meat by far, the best breakfasts, the best desserts, our fresh produce is second to none, and we consistently have the best restaurants, serving both modern British and international cuisine. Only the French can really compare.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    people's apathetic and miserable attitudes. class divide, its not many countries where you can determine people's "class" from the way they talk and dress lol.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    Yeah, but most places don't have it on quite the same scale to us. ( http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fo...e-20132-2.html )

And relaxing with alcohol is different from large numbers of alcoholics and binge drinkers. Having a few beers with friends, or wine over a meal, or in moderation at a party. The idea that you can only have fun when pissed, pisses me off.
    But binge drinking is fun, why you gotta be judgemental :mad:

As I say, binge drinking is not the problem, its a symptom. Most people's job are so ****ing boring and depressing that the only way they can get through the week without hanging themselves is to have the weekend to look forward to when they can get so ****ing drunk they can forget just for a few hours how utterly **** their lives are. 52 gloriously drunken holidays a year, for 50 years, and then you die.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.