Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to turn when you've lost your passion for life?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 25 year old female and I'm bored. I've lost my passion for life.
    I have a year left until I complete my PhD and after that, I don't know what will happen. There are job cuts everywhere and I'm anxious that I will have to work in as a sales assistant just to get by. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just, after all the work I've put into my career, I don't want to work somewhere that doesn't require a qualification.

Over the past 7 years I have been committed to higher education. I completed a degree in psychology, then a masters and now a PhD. I've worked throughout my education and travelled quite a bit but I don't think it's my passion. It worries me as passionate people always get the jobs. For me, I am completing this PhD purely to get a good job and wage when I graduate. If I don't get a high paid job, I don't know what I'll do.

I don't know what to do. People say it's always darkest before the dawn and I feel like I can't quit this PhD after 7 years of education to get this far. Basically, all I want is a good job and money so that I can start a family.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomflag)
    I have a year left until I complete my PhD and after that, I don't know what will happen. There are job cuts everywhere and I'm anxious that I will have to work in as a sales assistant just to get by. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just, after all the work I've put into my career, I don't want to work somewhere that doesn't require a qualification.

Over the past 7 years I have been committed to higher education. I completed a degree in psychology, then a masters and now a PhD. I've worked throughout my education and travelled quite a bit but I don't think it's my passion. It worries me as passionate people always get the jobs. For me, I am completing this PhD purely to get a good job and wage when I graduate. If I don't get a high paid job, I don't know what I'll do.

I don't know what to do. People say it's always darkest before the dawn and I feel like I can't quit this PhD after 7 years of education to get this far. Basically, all I want is a good job and money so that I can start a family.
    morning! Well, I'm a 17 year old student, so I can hardly speak from my own wealth of experience, but I'll do the best I can to help you.

The first thing I'd ask is what the word passion means, it's a really strange word. It is very rare to find someone doing a job they have passion for, much more common to find them doing a job they have the ability to do, and the facade of enthuasiasm. There's a very interesting lecture on this, if you're interested..

Could you get a job teaching?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the interesting lecture if possible. Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism.

Check out the videos of Ajahn Brahm on YouTube. He does several talks on all kinds of issues and I think he can help you with your problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think passion for life comes from having a purpose that appeals to you and fulfills you, the impression i get is that your PhD is just a means to an end. My passion has been nursing for years now, its literally what gets me up in the morning because the thought of not getting up and not becoming a registered nurse makes me wanna cry :P!

I think the decision you have to make is whether you're just a bit tired of studying and you need a break after you finish your PhD to find again the passion for your subject, because psychology is something that you can really be passionate about. Why did you choose it 9 years ago, why are you studying psychology rather than economics for example?

Or, whether you can live with the decision that my job is just that a job- so i can start a family, volunteering, start skydiving or anything!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you mean passion for work as opposed to passion for life.

Passion for work I cannot help you with.

Passion for life, I believe comes when you have a clear mind, a healthy body and a feeling of peace. To achieve this I eat well (plenty of fruit in particular), I am friendly to all creatures and I spend time with my thoughts - usually walking down the river. All of this clears my head & gives me energy to decide what I want to do.

Sorry, I think I've answered a question you weren't asking.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people aren't passionate about their jobs. Even if they are passionate about the field, doing it as a 'job' takes at least some of the fun out of it. I'm not saying you should settle for something you don't enjoy, but there is a prevailing attitude that somewhere out there exists some kind of magical 'ideal job' and I don't think that's a healthy - or a correct - attitude.

Schopenhauer said that 'A man's delight in looking forward to and hoping for some particular satisfaction is a part of the pleasure flowing out of it, enjoyed in advance. But this is afterward deducted, for the more we look forward to anything the less we enjoy it when it comes.' That's true in a general sense, but it's also (imho) applicable to out very career focused society of today (one which is far more so than in his own day). Again, there is an attitude that career is everything. The second question people ask after meeting other people is always 'what do you do?'. Career, more than anything else, defines adults in our society. But a passion for life doesn't come from just having a job you enjoy. It comes from experiencing lots of different things. Read, paint, travel, watch documentaries on subjects totally outside what you normally spend your time doing. If that kind of passion you are describing can be achieved at all, then it won't be achieved by placing your identity around your job, but rather by exploring as much about different subjects and lifestyles as you possibly can.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    Buddhism.

Check out the videos of Ajahn Brahm on YouTube. He does several talks on all kinds of issues and I think he can help you with your problem.
    This. But it can actually give you an existential crisis if you abandon it halfway, so make sure to stick with it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Find it ironic that you did a degree, Masters and Doctorate in Psychology..
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any university lecturers that well? Because if you do you could ask if they know about any open jobs related to what you wanted to do. Or you could do a post doc.

(Original post by S23a)
    Find it ironic that you did a degree, Masters and Doctorate in Psychology..
    And also this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the interesting lecture if possible. Thanks.

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5um8QWWRvo

tell me what you think!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

The final stage of a PhD is the least fun. But you HAVE to do it.

After that, see what happens.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.