The Student Room Group

North Korea likely to carry out nuclear test

Scroll to see replies

Original post by green.tea
If you didnt imagine yourself some right to force you ideology on others then maybe people like nk wouldnt feel the need to direct funds at arms rather than the population.

You are aware how much ideology is forced onto people in the DPRK right?

I've been to Pyongyang, the showcase capital. People there have to prove themselves as loyal to the regime to live there. They have 3 TV channels (but there's only 1 available in the rest of the country), all of them existed purely to promote Juche and criticise of the west. They have radios in every home, which can be turned down but it is impossible to turn them off, and all foreign radio stations are jammed. Visitors have every picture they took checked, and they would take your camera and delete it if they deemed it unacceptable.

Not to mention the class system, based on your family's perceived loyalty to regime. If anyone in your family history has been perceived as 'hostile' you are unable to shop at stores, receive healthcare and you must live in one of the very impoverished areas. People who didn't cry at Kim Jong Il's death were forced into labour camps.

I'd much rather the US be the world superpower than the DPRK, at least you can figure out the US' motives be they bad or good.
Original post by SpringNicht
You are aware how much ideology is forced onto people in the DPRK right?

I've been to Pyongyang, the showcase capital. People there have to prove themselves as loyal to the regime to live there. They have 3 TV channels (but there's only 1 available in the rest of the country), all of them existed purely to promote Juche and criticise of the west. They have radios in every home, which can be turned down but it is impossible to turn them off, and all foreign radio stations are jammed. Visitors have every picture they took checked, and they would take your camera and delete it if they deemed it unacceptable.

Not to mention the class system, based on your family's perceived loyalty to regime. If anyone in your family history has been perceived as 'hostile' you are unable to shop at stores, receive healthcare and you must live in one of the very impoverished areas. People who didn't cry at Kim Jong Il's death were forced into labour camps.

I'd much rather the US be the world superpower than the DPRK, at least you can figure out the US' motives be they bad or good.

If they toned all that down to the point of cuba the west would still be hostile to them. Is it a wonder they are hostile to the west? It they let voices of descent get a foothold these people would then be supported by the west with the aim of destabilizing the regime.

We have a system where the media controls the government. They have a system where the government controls the media. Not much of our wonderful free media is in favour of a change. Its as unanimous in its support for democracy as nk's media is in support of their regime.
If they toned all that down to the point of cuba the west would still be hostile to them. Is it a wonder they are hostile to the west? It they let voices of descent get a foothold these people would then be supported by the west with the aim of destabilizing the regime.

We have a system where the media controls the government. They have a system where the government controls the media. Not much of our wonderful free media is in favour of a change. Its as unanimous in its support for democracy as nk's media is in support of their regime.

I believe if they toned down the indoctrination and also improved the human rights situation, more of the world would reach out to them. Denmark, for example, has been calling for exactly that throughout their relations with DPRK.

The difference is that we have the option to have a negative response to that media, whereas the people in DPRK would suffer serious repercussions if they did. We are able to maintain a viewpoint other than the one promoted to us, and are able to voice dissent.
If I were to design a system I'd give everyone an intelligence test and then in order to vote they would have to take classes on politics at a level deemed fair to their level of intelligence. That way people wouldnt be voting on someone elses opinions of issues that they don't really understand. The classes would have to contain the works of all major political writers as decided by academics whom the law would ensure had no interests in anything. Their wages and everything would be set in law that no government would have the power to change.

People who wont take the class = no vote.

Is that dodgy ground as things stand? If we were as surrounded by hostiles as north korea is do you think id be permitted to say that?
Original post by SpringNicht
I believe if they toned down the indoctrination and also improved the human rights situation, more of the world would reach out to them. Denmark, for example, has been calling for exactly that throughout their relations with DPRK.

The difference is that we have the option to have a negative response to that media, whereas the people in DPRK would suffer serious repercussions if they did. We are able to maintain a viewpoint other than the one promoted to us, and are able to voice dissent.

We wouldnt be if we we're in north korea's position. American communists didnt have a particularly nice time during the cold war, when an opposing ideology was actually a threat. Its logical tat the bigger the threat becme the fiercer the oppresion would become. Even if denmark is acting in good faith the americans wouldnt hesitate in using eery opportunity that north korean concessions gave them.
Reply 105
Hmm. Don't you think people like you bear some of the responsibility for the situation there? If you didnt imagine yourself some right to force you ideology on others then maybe people like nk wouldnt feel the need to direct funds at arms rather than the population. If, the second nk reduced censorship you wouldnt use that to bombard them with propaganda they wouldnt be so steadfast in their refusal to do so. Most of what you criticize them for can be seen as a defensive posture against people like you.

You have an interesting take on the situation.
I research North Korean economics at university, so I've had to do my fair share of research into its politics, culture and history.

The statement that the more North Korea is pushed, the more it will resist is true. But I doubt that relaxing the pressure on North Korea will facilitate more genuine cooperation with the international community - more likely, it will be seen as an opportunity to milk as many resources and concessions as possible, while relinquishing as little as possible.

But, an interesting take nonetheless.
Reply 106
NK don't have the capability to mass produce warheads.

They might have hodge-podged together a couple of low-yield devices, so it'll be interesing to see what happens there.

It'll be even more interesting to see how they respond to all aid being cut to the country.
Original post by Tudball
You have an interesting take on the situation.
I research North Korean economics at university, so I've had to do my fair share of research into its politics, culture and history.

The statement that the more North Korea is pushed, the more it will resist is true. But I doubt that relaxing the pressure on North Korea will facilitate more genuine cooperation with the international community - more likely, it will be seen as an opportunity to milk as many resources and concessions as possible, while relinquishing as little as possible.

But, an interesting take nonetheless.

So they'd still spend all their money on nukes and tanks while nobody was in any way a threat? Why? Surely once the threat had gone their next move would be to demonstrate the greatness of the ideas of their leader by showing their society working in a more convincing manner than they do now.

23272_340853008146_5996_n.jpg

At one timed they seemed to want to spend on constructive stuff. Something changed their priorities in a genuine enough way for them to take a loss of face over their worlds tallest building attempt.

The truth is we dont know what they'd do. While the west continues its hostility to anything communist or non democratic we wont find out.
Reply 108
Original post by Guerlain
NK don't have the capability to mass produce warheads.

They might have hodge-podged together a couple of low-yield devices, so it'll be interesing to see what happens there.

It'll be even more interesting to see how they respond to all aid being cut to the country.

As Chinese investment in North Korea intensifies, I think you'll find that North Korea's reliance on foreign aid for food appropriation diminishes.

It's still in a fragile position at the moment, but increasing marketisation and commercial relationships with Chinese firms are having a profound impact on the economy - sanctions are probably of less concern to the regime than, say, ten years ago.
Reply 109
So they'd still spend all their money on nukes and tanks while nobody was in any way a threat? Why? Surely once the threat had gone their next move would be to demonstrate the greatness of the ideas of their leader by showing their society working in a more convincing manner than they do now.

23272_340853008146_5996_n.jpg

At one timed they seemed to want to spend on constructive stuff. Something changed their priorities in a genuine enough way for them to take a loss of face over their worlds tallest building attempt.

The truth is we dont know what they'd do. While the west continues its hostility to anything communist or non democratic we wont find out.

I don't think you understand the North Korean mindset. For North Korea, the military is not directly tied to the perception of a threat. A strong military is representative of the "greatness of their ideas" - it's representative of a nation that can protect itself in its own right, and can demonstrate its strength on the global stage. The relaxation of pressure will not necessarily correlate to a relaxation of their emphasis on militarisation, and I can say with absolute certainty that the nuclear programme will not be relinquished.

After the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, North Korea developed a mindset that while its "allies" faltered and crumbled, it remained steadfast. It's how it justified its alienation and isolation in the international community; it's how it legitimised its rule throughout the hardship and famine: "We are strong. Everyone else buckled before external forces, but not us." So, the correlation between militarisation and internal opposition is not strictly functionalist.

Their large-scale infrastructure investments and impressive performance are all geared toward the same thing - demonstrating that North Korea is strong. That image you attached is supposed to represent North Korea becoming a modern, industrialised nation that can rival the West. It's all about rivaling and surpassing other nations - North Korea does not want to be perceived as weak in any capacity.

Simply relaxing our treatment of North Korea, especially if our cooperation is contingent on their demilitarisation, will not have the effects you're anticipating. And you're not the first to suggest, or even attempt, such an approach (Kim Dae-jung's Sunshine Policy is the most famous attempt). North Korea milked the opportunity for all it was worth, and relinquished as little as possible in the process. There's nothing to suggest other attempts will have a different result.

I have my own theories for how to reintegrate North Korea, of course...
Original post by Tudball
I don't think you understand the North Korean mindset. For North Korea, the military is not directly tied to the perception of a threat. A strong military is representative of the "greatness of their ideas" - it's representative of a nation that can protect itself in its own right, and can demonstrate its strength on the global stage. The relaxation of pressure will not necessarily correlate to a relaxation of their emphasis on militarisation, and I can say with absolute certainty that the nuclear programme will not be relinquished.

After the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, North Korea developed a mindset that while its "allies" faltered and crumbled, it remained steadfast. It's how it justified its alienation and isolation in the international community; it's how it legitimised its rule throughout the hardship and famine: "We are strong. Everyone else buckled before external forces, but not us." So, the correlation between militarisation and internal opposition is not strictly functionalist.

Their large-scale infrastructure investments and impressive performance are all geared toward the same thing - demonstrating that North Korea is strong. That image you attached is supposed to represent North Korea becoming a modern, industrialised nation that can rival the West. It's all about rivaling and surpassing other nations - North Korea does not want to be perceived as weak in any capacity.

Simply relaxing our treatment of North Korea, especially if our cooperation is contingent on their demilitarisation, will not have the effects you're anticipating. And you're not the first to suggest, or even attempt, such an approach (Kim Dae-jung's Sunshine Policy is the most famous attempt). North Korea milked the opportunity for all it was worth, and relinquished as little as possible in the process. There's nothing to suggest other attempts will have a different result.

I have my own theories for how to reintegrate North Korea, of course...

What are your theories?

The sunshine policy seems a little like a hostage negotiator sending a bank robber a pizza and asking him to put down his gun and walk in front of the window so he can see the friendly expressions on the police faces and know that their his friends and that he can trust them.

Never going to work because attitudes remain the same. People still don't like communist dictatorships. Its simply a case of conceding much to that being incorrect strategy because ultimately people are still going to want rid of you.

Plus:
Kim's administration also outlined two other major policy components. The first was the separation of politics and economics. In practice, this meant that the South loosened restrictions on its private sector to invest in North Korea, limiting its own involvement essentially to humanitarian aid. This was initially meant both to improve the North's economy and to induce change in the North's economic policy, though the latter goal was later (at least officially) de-emphasized.

So it was still to some extent an attack on their values. If I were nk I'd consider the sunshine policy to be an annoying insult to my intelligence.

All countries want to prove that they are an advanced society capable of rivaling any other. Who'd be happy with the status of "official second rate civilization"? They obviously have some interest in showing greatness in a constructive manner.

What I'm talking about is a change in attitudes towards communist dictatorships which would remove their need to keep such a military because the threat would be gone, rather than dressing up as Gandhi. In my instance, spending all your money on a military would become incorrect strategy. Excessively stifling the thought of your population would become incorrect strategy. Does the north korean leadership believe its propaganda about a military being the only way to show north korea as being among the a-list? The a-list have more skyscrapers than military. And they'd have difficulty showing their great strength at not buckling under external forces when external forces weren't pressuring them anymore.

You compare my thoughts to an insult to the intelligence of the north korean leadership when actually theyre more faith in their intelligence.
Reply 111
Original post by TheHansa
They'll probably end up bombing themselves. Do they have the capabilities to hit targets in Europe and beyond yet?

Pro Israel

Anti-war

By no means am I anti-semnite BUT NOBODY THINKS what Israel has done to a lot of Palestinians and Arabs alike!

Watch this video: it's very informative.
I think war should generally, take a hike!

But to think Israel is the innocent one is just wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ATGZnUoTvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwrCd2_nPc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
Hmm. Don't you think people like you bear some of the responsibility for the situation there? If you didnt imagine yourself some right to force you ideology on others then maybe people like nk wouldnt feel the need to direct funds at arms rather than the population.

What right does the North Korean government have to force its ideology on the people? My ideology, and South Korea's ideology, would grant the people much more freedom - a lot less would be forced upon them than currently is.

And the North Korean government does not care one iota about the population; if it did then it would recognise that South Korea is superior in every single way and surrender.

If, the second nk reduced censorship you wouldnt use that to bombard them with propaganda they wouldnt be so steadfast in their refusal to do so. Most of what you criticize them for can be seen as a defensive posture against people like you.

It's a defense designed to prop up the dictatorship. You could argue that Stalin's purges were defensive because people opposed Stalin; it had to be done or he would have been overthrown.
Original post by Nick100
What right does the North Korean government have to force its ideology on the people? My ideology, and South Korea's ideology, would grant the people much more freedom - a lot less would be forced upon them than currently is.

Communists value equality over freedom. Its their thing.

And the North Korean government does not care one iota about the population; if it did then it would recognise that South Korea is superior in every single way and surrender.

They're at war. Far fewer brits wouldve died during ww2 if we'd just surrendered. Does that mean we didnt care at all? Or does it mean that we did care but that we also cared about standing up for our way of life?

It's a defense designed to prop up the dictatorship. You could argue that Stalin's purges were defensive because people opposed Stalin; it had to be done or he would have been overthrown.

All the more reason we should hold up castro as the type of communist we can get on with. In doing so we might alleviate any paranoid tendencies other communist leaders may have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Communists value equality over freedom. Its their thing.

But do you really think that if the average North Korean was aware of how the average South Korean lived they would want to support communism?

They're at war. Far fewer brits wouldve died during ww2 if we'd just surrendered. Does that mean we didnt care at all? Or does it mean that we did care but that we also cared about standing up for our way of life?

But that comparison is invalid; if Britain had surrendered hundreds of thousands of people in Britain would have been killed as a result and the UK would have been oppressed by fascism forever. If North Korea surrenders then its wealth will increase tenfold, its citizens will have more freedom than ever before, and it will have access to the rest of the world. The surrender of Britain in World War 2 would have harmed its population and the rest of the free world; the surrender of North Korea now would benefit its population enormously.
Original post by Nick100
But do you really think that if the average North Korean was aware of how the average South Korean lived they would want to support communism?

But that comparison is invalid; if Britain had surrendered hundreds of thousands of people in Britain would have been killed as a result and the UK would have been oppressed by fascism forever. If North Korea surrenders then its wealth will increase tenfold, its citizens will have more freedom than ever before, and it will have access to the rest of the world. The surrender of Britain in World War 2 would have harmed its population and the rest of the free world; the surrender of North Korea now would benefit its population enormously.

And if people let them be, lifted sanctions and embargoes and showed them that they were willing to accept peaceful communism it it would be better for their population too. The details of ww2 are irrelevant, the point is that when a foreign power tries forcing its ideas on you resisting them doesnt mean that you don't care about the population.
Reply 116
And if people let them be, lifted sanctions and embargoes and showed them that they were willing to accept peaceful communism it it would be better for their population too. The details of ww2 are irrelevant, the point is that when a foreign power tries forcing its ideas on you resisting them doesnt mean that you don't care about the population.

But the fact is that if the North Korean people were even aware of what South Korea is like they would rebel. They are kept ignorant by their government because the government does not care about the population. They know that if South Korea annexed the North that the North would flourish and prosper - they know it and yet they want the exact opposite to happen; they want to take over the South and run it into the ground like they did to their own country.
Original post by Nick100
But the fact is that if the North Korean people were even aware of what South Korea is like they would rebel. They are kept ignorant by their government because the government does not care about the population. They know that if South Korea annexed the North that the North would flourish and prosper - they know it and yet they want the exact opposite to happen; they want to take over the South and run it into the ground like they did to their own country.

Is it the norm for governments to be honest during wartime? Anyway if people are willing to die for their countries I think it quite possible that they would be willing to accept lesser living conditions.

I personally agree that korea would be better for dropping communism. Capitalism drives things along more effectively. But it does create very unequal societies and I respect peoples right to hold the view that that's unacceptable and run their countries according to principles based on that without outside interference.
Private Message: retard
1 Minute Ago: 20th April 2012 18:21
daves5625see

retard
Can you please remove yourself from the gene pool? Preferably in the most painful and agonizing way possible? Retard

Die painfully okay? Prefearbly by getting crushed to death in a
garbage compactor, or by getting your cranium smashed in.

STFU s_ithead, before you get your head kicked in.

Americans. :rolleyes:
Reply 119

What I'm talking about is a change in attitudes towards communist dictatorships which would remove their need to keep such a military because the threat would be gone, rather than dressing up as Gandhi. In my instance, spending all your money on a military would become incorrect strategy. Excessively stifling the thought of your population would become incorrect strategy. Does the north korean leadership believe its propaganda about a military being the only way to show north korea as being among the a-list? The a-list have more skyscrapers than military. And they'd have difficulty showing their great strength at not buckling under external forces when external forces weren't pressuring them anymore.

You compare my thoughts to an insult to the intelligence of the north korean leadership when actually theyre more faith in their intelligence.

You're discussing a change in attitude from the outside with respect to North Korea, and then delegating how the North Korean attitude would necessarily change from the inside. It's not prudent to do so.

And the North Koreans have built skyscrapers, too. P'yongyang is full of them - in fact, for a period, North Korea produced large buildings at a rate unsurpassed by most developing nations. But that does not diminish the importance of the military.

"A-List" nations have skyscrapers, factories and motorways - of course. North Korea has produced such things, too (although impractical, given its current situation). But "A-List" nations consistently have strong and well-equipped armies. It's not something that North Korea will surrender or be prepared to relinquish in exchange for foreign nations simply being "nicer".

As for my theories, this is in response to someone on another forum. It's a very, very rough outline:

North Korea will take what it can get, and give as little as possible. It doesn't see the benefits being offered by the international community as outweighing the concessions being demanded. Softening the stance on North Korea has been done before, with little success. North Korea knows that the international community flip-flops between a tough, no-nonsense stance and a more diplomatic position. It responds to the former with belligerence, and the latter by taking all that's offered and relinquishing the bare minimum - then reverting back to its old position either when the well is dry, or the international community gets fed up.

I believe that North Korea needs to be eased back into the international community, and I think the focus should be investment and trade. North Korea is cash-strapped and entirely reliant on foreign aid. If this system were exchanged for an equal and mutual exchange of goods and products, with a focus on foreign direct investment, North Korea would be able to fund the revivification of its industries, and there would exist a long-term and beneficial link between the international community and the regime. It would not be a link based on friendship or mutual agreement - it doesn't need to be. It would simply be something that North Korea would not want to abandon or ruin - a permanent source of much-needed revenue. Making North Korea dependent doesn't work, and pushing it into a corner doesn't work, either. It needs to be on equal terms, without political motives. This shouldn't accompany demands that North Korea shut down its nuclear programme, or other such concessions.

Easing North Korea out of its alienation and back into the international community will relieve its paranoia and volatility - and I think more cooperation on its belligerence and militarisation should follow as a natural consequence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending