The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I really hope nothing on sexual ethics comes up. Really dont like learning about it :/
Apparently its going to be pretty solidly applied ethics- similar to the AS paper.
Sexual ethics is fine for me, but does anyone have any helpful notes on environmental/business ethics, or could let me know where to find them? Sample essays would be great
Reply 42
Original post by Esme.Isabelle
Apparently its going to be pretty solidly applied ethics- similar to the AS paper.
Sexual ethics is fine for me, but does anyone have any helpful notes on environmental/business ethics, or could let me know where to find them? Sample essays would be great

getrevising.co.uk
Reply 43
Original post by Esme.Isabelle

How do you know it's going to be on applied ethics
Reply 44
Apparently Business Ethics is going to come up: http://www.philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=789:a2-business-ethics-questions&catid=50:blog&Itemid=55

I think Kantian Ethics is going to be applied to it. Do you think that I can learn Kantian Ethics and another applied Ethics, such as Utilitarianism, applied to Business Ethics in one week?

I think I'm going to cry after my Ethics exam :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by Sem193
Apparently Business Ethics is going to come up: http://www.philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=789:a2-business-ethics-questions&catid=50:blog&Itemid=55

I think Kantian Ethics is going to be applied to it. Do you think that I can learn Kantian Ethics and another applied Ethics, such as Utilitarianism, applied to Business Ethics in one week?

I think I'm going to cry after my Ethics exam :frown:

I thought we had to know the bare minimum on these ethical theories?
Original post by SBradford

I completely agree, learning the AS theories in full is a monumental waste of time. They specifically you want to be able to discuss Sexual/Business/Environmental with regard to the issue - not focus AS theories.
Reply 47
Original post by SBradford

We don't have to know them really in detail. For instance, when applying Kantian Ethics to Business Ethics I think you would have to talk about the Categorical Imperative and apply the 3 maxims or whatever to Business Ethics. It's not really that detailed, but I wouldn't say it's the bare minimum either.
Reply 48
Original post by et cetera
I completely agree, learning the AS theories in full is a monumental waste of time. They specifically you want to be able to discuss Sexual/Business/Environmental with regard to the issue - not focus AS theories.

I'm not going to learn the AS theories in full, lol. I'm only going to learn how they are applied to Sexual/Business and Environmental Ethics. I looked at the mark scheme for the question ‘Utilitarianism is not the best approach to environmental issues.’ Discuss.
and this is what the mark scheme says

AO1
Candidates might explain Utilitarianism perhaps in terms of Bentham, Mill, Singer, and the main types of Utilitarianism eg Act, Rule, Preference. They may explain Utilitarianism as consequentialist and democratic.
They may then apply this to environmental issues eg pollution, deforestation, global warming.
They may contrast this with other approaches to the environment eg religious ethics, deep ecology and the Gaia hypothesis.
AO2
Candidates may consider whether Utilitarian principles are the best way of approaching the environment or whether they agree with the question.
They might wish to consider the usefulness of Utilitarianism in considering the long term consequences of environmental policies on people.
Responses might consider how the majority may benefit, and who the minority are here and how they might suffer. They may introduce Singer’s ideas that animals need to be considered not only humans.
They may look at the intrinsic value of the environment as opposed to the instrumental value.

I think that's more than the bare minimum, but it's not that detailed either.
Somewhat nervous D: time to start properly preparing now! Going to look into globalisation in a bit more depth..
Reply 50
I've covered everything except Applied Ethics which I despise with a passion. Going to make sure I cover enviromental/business ethics though but sexual ethics will be my topic I miss out. Not missing anything out for Philosophy though as going for the A* in RE :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Joell3
I've covered everything except Applied Ethics which I despise with a passion. Going to make sure I cover enviromental/business ethics though but sexual ethics will be my topic I miss out. Not missing anything out for Philosophy though as going for the A* in RE :smile:

Exactly the same as me, i actually despise learning sexual ethics. But doing everything else. :smile:
Reply 52
the way they word the questions just confusing; how do you guys start and finish your essay ? do you evaluate the way through or leave it till the end ?
Reply 53
Original post by tdkr
the way they word the questions just confusing; how do you guys start and finish your essay ? do you evaluate the way through or leave it till the end ?

Evaluate the whole way through, state what point of view I'm going for from the intro. They are looking for sustained argument :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by Joell3
Evaluate the whole way through, state what point of view I'm going for from the intro. They are looking for sustained argument :smile:

gotcha! intro developing into a "sustained argument" - exactly what i need to keep in mind throughout! thanks!
Reply 55
Original post by sammyl62
unlike most people in the ethics exam by the seems of it im hoping for meta ethics, but it seems as if its come up twice in the last two papers so perhaps not very likely??
I'm resitting the ethics paper and really hope meta-ethics comes up again, but everyone else i know hates the topic! It come up in January so I doubt it will come up :frown: Really don't like any of the applied topics so hope they don't come up!
Reply 56
Original post by laureneb10
I'm resitting the ethics paper and really hope meta-ethics comes up again, but everyone else i know hates the topic! It come up in January so I doubt it will come up :frown: Really don't like any of the applied topics so hope they don't come up!

Every year atleast one has come up and most years two, I'd recommend revising business and enviromental ethics atleast because it didn't come up in Jan and I think it's likely to :smile:

Good luck with the resit! My school make us do both papers in summer so serious amounts of mass memorisation are going down right now!
Reply 57
Original post by Joell3
Every year atleast one has come up and most years two, I'd recommend revising business and enviromental ethics atleast because it didn't come up in Jan and I think it's likely to :smile:

Good luck with the resit! My school make us do both papers in summer so serious amounts of mass memorisation are going down right now!

Yeah i think that's going to come up as well. I find the actual stuff ok, but then really struggle applying the other ethical theories to it.

I'm dreading philosophy! Good luck!
hey can someone explain what jean paul satre and kant say about freedom, i cannot make sense of it at all!!
Reply 59
Yeah i really don't get Kant on soft determinism. Soft determinism as a whole is horrible! Could anybody explain it better the the textbook?

Latest

Trending

Trending