Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think is a gentleman or lady?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 96 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking at this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1974906

And I posted a very brief link to what is deemed to be a lady, and of course there are very brief descriptions of what is deemed to be a gentleman as well.

In 2012, what do you guys think to be gentleman-ly or lady like traits?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gentleman: Theoretically interested in gardening, likely to pretend to know about whisky but secretly drinks white wine guided solely by price in Tesco, a purchaser of posh trousers, a wearer of dark brown leather shoes, talks pretentiously about food, finds popular music frightening, moderately conservative, casually homophobic, once described his PA's breasts as "uncheerful", would like you to say that to him again but in a less regional accent please.

Lady: Enjoys horses (in several different ways), cries quietly into G&T's at the state of her life, has a pet dog that wears woollen jackets knitted by Indians who she pretends to care about, is writing a bad novel about sexually liberated forty-somethings living in the costa del cringe, has issues with her father who is retired from the army, would like you to say that to her again but wearing less terrible clothes please.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think its all about how polite a person is
    • 96 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minniiee)
    i think its all about how polite a person is
    Hmmm. I suppose I go for this very brief description myself tbf. I don't particularly agree with the definitions given by the person above you however
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lady/gentleman = someone who tries very hard to be seen in a good light by fitting into what would be considered the upper class norms of society and trying to please everyone without seeming too desperate and at the same time be condescending to anyone they deem socially or financially inferior to them.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    Hmmm. I suppose I go for this very brief description myself tbf. I don't particularly agree with the definitions given by the person above you however
    i would have to agree!
    although i guess being a lady is associated with being "prime and proper" where as a gentleman is more just politeness, hence "oh what a gentleman" when someone does soemthing nice...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Lady/gentleman = someone who tries very hard to be seen in a good light by fitting into what would be considered the upper class norms of society and trying to please everyone without seeming too desperate and at the same time be condescending to anyone they deem socially or financially inferior to them.
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone is unassumingly, non-judgemental, courteous, charming and generally pleasant and fun to be around. Applies equally to both genders.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Lady = Submissive, non-sexually revealing dresses, good manners (e.g. hold doors, says thank you, asks before presuming), not a activist for any social causes, comes from a loving home, would rather be a housewife, isn't promiscuous and doesn't speak colloquially.

Gentleman = Dominant, wears suits mainly, reasonably fit and tall, good manners, doesn't speak colloquially, intelligent, assertive, comes from a loving home and holds a powerful position.

But, they're both ****ty terms. Lets just stick to male and female. **** all these gender roles and expected behavouir and attempting to create a archetype. There's nothing wrong with any of these positions individually but their implication i.e. that male/female who don't conform to such behaviors are inferior, is problematic.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfw)
    Gentleman: Theoretically interested in gardening, likely to pretend to know about whisky but secretly drinks white wine guided solely by price in Tesco, a purchaser of posh trousers, a wearer of dark brown leather shoes, talks pretentiously about food, finds popular music frightening, moderately conservative, casually homophobic, once described his PA's breasts as "uncheerful", would like you to say that to him again but in a less regional accent please.

Lady: Enjoys horses (in several different ways), cries quietly into G&T's at the state of her life, has a pet dog that wears woollen jackets knitted by Indians who she pretends to care about, is writing a bad novel about sexually liberated forty-somethings living in the costa del cringe, has issues with her father who is retired from the army, would like you to say that to her again but wearing less terrible clothes please.

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Lovin' both descriptions.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.