Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protein Shakes for women

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this question has been asked before,

I exercise regulary already but I want to tone up even more and reduce my body fat, so I was wondering whether drinking protein shakes will help.

I want to tone up but not be a women body builder by no means so I dont want to bulk up or put on any additional weight. so would it be wise to drink them. I must stress I REALLY do not want to bulk up and end up with bulky thighs or anything I just want them to be toned and not wobbly. The protein shake i have is a diet whey and is about 100-200 calories per shake.

Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Toning up isn't a thing. You need to have a bit of muscle (not body builder levels , fitness levels) and low enough body fat to show them a bit. How you go about achieving that depends on how you are now. To end up bulky you need to eat quite a lot so you won't manage it by accident or from a shake. If you are adding muscle then you need protein. If you struggle to eat enough then a shake will help- women don't need different ones from men. But getting it from your food is always better than shakes for the sake of general nutrition since there is more to life than protien
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the above. If you like eating and don't want to bulk up then protein shakes are good because what other food will you get 40g of protein from in around 227 calories.

Just make sure your limiting yourself to your BMR so a protein shakes fine as long as your within your daily calorie allowance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e1usive)
    Ignore the above.
    I'm intrigued by what you disagree with.

All I can guess is you imply shakes are needed to get enough protein without eating enough to end up bulky which is nonesense
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enigma.)
    Protein shakes contain a lot of carbohydrates and quite a high level of protein.
    True protein supplements don't, they're simply whey protein and a little flavouring. They can be useful regardless of your goal.

What you're talking about are weight gainers which are something else entirely. They are supplements bulked out with carbohydrate powders to increase overall calorific intake and aid weight gain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    I'm intrigued by what you disagree with.

All I can guess is you imply shakes are needed to get enough protein without eating enough to end up bulky which is nonesense
    No I'm saying she doesn't want to bulk up yet she wants to tone and the only way to keep her calorie count at her BMR whilst getting a sufficient amount of protein would be via shakes. Hence 40g of protein per shake.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enigma.)
    Protein shakes contain a lot of carbohydrates and quite a high level of protein.

They are designed to provide all the energy you need to not only give your muscles back the energy they lost exercising but then all the energy and protein they need to rebuild. Which if you are a body builder (which that market is aimed at) can be substantial.

So I wouldn't recommend drinking them if you want to avoid weight gain.
    Incorrect post. Formulae, isolate, concentrate, which one contains carbs, they're all pure mix ups.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see I got neg repped by some muppets who haven't got a clue about the subject. What can you do.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    What I do is mix yoghurt, a bit of fruit (esp. blueberries) and the powder protein thingies you can buy from Holland and Barratts (the ones that come in the tubs) in the blender. Low carb, high protein.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use this Vanilla flavour soya powder shake mix from Holland and Barretts... tastes like flour, but I have buns of steel!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Protein shakes will help you appear more toned if supplemented with a decent weight training program. You won't get bulky, women don't have enough testosterone to build large muscles; women bodybuilders spend years of training and take supplements likes steroids to get to the sizes they are.

Also be good for losing body fat as protein takes a longer time to digest and will stop your energy levels crashing and subsequently eating the sugary carbs.

If you google 'supplement centre' they have good prices on Matrix Nutrition which is a supplement brand; it's the cheapest I've found and it's very good quality stuff too. I got a 7kg of protein, carb and vitamin all in one for £36.99, whereas if you go with the more well known brands you're paying that price for 1kg.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with women taking protein shakes and to be honest if more women did that instead of snacking on junk food, the world would be a lot less obese.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e1usive)
    No I'm saying she doesn't want to bulk up yet she wants to tone and the only way to keep her calorie count at her BMR whilst getting a sufficient amount of protein would be via shakes. Hence 40g of protein per shake.
    How much protein do you think she needs?

On 2000 calories, without a shake I could manage 120g protein (and I don't eat meat which makes it harder). I guess she doesn't weight much more than 120g and 1g per lb is probably a bit more than she really needs since I doubt we are talking about any major body changes, more some fine tuning.

She can take shakes if she wants but there's no real reason she needs to.

(PS what you said if what I thought you said, just worded the other way round :P)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basically my point is short worded to get the required protein she needs she would need to eat a lot of protein rich food to accumulate it where as protein shakes can supply a good fast source of protein which isn't as near close to the calories the food would give her. Sorry if it makes no sense, on the phone at the same time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it'd add up to a fair bit food but not necessarily more than her BMR (if that's what she needs to be eat) so while shakes will make it easier, they aren't necessary. Which is what i said in the first place and what you disagreed with :confused:
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    How much protein do you think she needs?

On 2000 calories, without a shake I could manage 120g protein (and I don't eat meat which makes it harder). I guess she doesn't weight much more than 120g and 1g per lb is probably a bit more than she really needs since I doubt we are talking about any major body changes, more some fine tuning.

She can take shakes if she wants but there's no real reason she needs to.

(PS what you said if what I thought you said, just worded the other way round :P)
    Could you tell us how? I can just about manage to hit 90-100 on a 1500kcal diet, but that's with eating meat at lunch and dinner. Usually I manage no more than 40-60g.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Could you tell us how? I can just about manage to hit 90-100 on a 1500kcal diet, but that's with eating meat at lunch and dinner. Usually I manage no more than 40-60g.
    I'd like to know as well haha. I'm cutting right now and I'm no way managing near 75grams a day with protein in 3 meals.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast:
    4 weetabix
    300ml soy milk
    berries
    650cals, 25g protein

Lunch:
    baked seitan (1/2 cup worth of vital wheat gluten, water and herbs)
    2cups broccoli
    300 calories, 50g protein

Dinner:
    shepard's pie (1/2 cup of dry TVP hydrated in stock, some veg, 2 medium potatoes)
    680 calories, 47g protein

Snack:
    Green lentil soup (with celery, carrots, onion, half a cup worth of dry lentils)
    270 calories, 18g protein

Total: 1900 calories, 140g protein
    would probably throw in an apple and orange to be at about 2000cal and to be at at least 8 fruit and veg
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellz_Bellz!)
    What I do is mix yoghurt, a bit of fruit (esp. blueberries) and the powder protein thingies you can buy from Holland and Barratts (the ones that come in the tubs) in the blender. Low carb, high protein.
    save your money check out bulk suppliers, like

Pro-10
    IronScience
    Myprotein
    bulkpowders
    Holland and Barrat are expensive!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Protein shakes will help you appear more toned if supplemented with a decent weight training program. You won't get bulky, women don't have enough testosterone to build large muscles; women bodybuilders spend years of training and take supplements likes steroids to get to the sizes they are.

Also be good for losing body fat as protein takes a longer time to digest and will stop your energy levels crashing and subsequently eating the sugary carbs.

If you google 'supplement centre' they have good prices on Matrix Nutrition which is a supplement brand; it's the cheapest I've found and it's very good quality stuff too. I got a 7kg of protein, carb and vitamin all in one for £36.99, whereas if you go with the more well known brands you're paying that price for 1kg.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with women taking protein shakes and to be honest if more women did that instead of snacking on junk food, the world would be a lot less obese.
    look up bioavailbilty and you will see why matrix is so cheap
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuqqer)
    I use this Vanilla flavour soya powder shake mix from Holland and Barretts... tastes like flour, but I have buns of steel!
    wow you must have cash to chuck around!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 16, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.