Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you first started university, what happened to all your important documents?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your Mum previously held all your official documents in the family filing cabinet at home, what did you take with you to university and how did you store it to keep it safe?

Do you think that one of those portable lockable filing boxes is a good idea with hanging files inside (like a mini filing drawer) so that everything can be kept in one place from now on and you can cart it home for the holidays?

I'm thinking of things like:

Passport and EHIC card (proof of id - may go on a uni trip??)
    Bank statements
    National Insurance number (might get a p/t job?)
    Driving licence - paper bit
    Exam certificates
    NHS card (might need the number for registering with a doctor at uni?)
    University accommodation contract and paperwork
    etc etc

Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I took it all with me, and at the moment it's kept in a file though I realise that isn't the safest way. A water/fireproof mini safe would probably be the best idea.

I'm always shocked at the amount of people at uni who'll go to do something and then be like "oh I haven't got my passport, it's at home..." how useful is that?

They need to be wherever you are really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just put it in a draw tbh, in my desk at uni.

Stuff like exam certs, uni accom paperwork were put in a folder, you know the ones with those pockets and you slip them in at the top.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks... Hmmm... I'm guess space is likely to be very tight in a hall bedroom and a box file thingy might be a nuisance to have hanging around...?

Maybe one of those plastic stand-up "magazine holder" open boxes that could stand on a book shelf like an A4 box,file, with several A4 plastic "popper envelope" document wallets - one for each category?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I had mine in a file in a draw. Much saver than in a safe. It would be stupid not to bring them tbh.

From experience you are much much more likley to be burgled than flooded/burned down.

A burgler is going to love a small safe - He knows there is something valuable inside and its all nicely packed up in an easily transportable container. From experience they are much more likley to overlook a load of files in a set of draws full of uni work - they don't know whats valuable or not etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, did you take your birth certificate to uni or is this overkill?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I had mine in a file in a draw. Much saver than in a safe. It would be stupid not to bring them tbh.

From experience you are much much more likley to be burgled than flooded/burned down.

A burgler is going to love a small safe - He knows there is something valuable inside and its all nicely packed up in an easily transportable container. From experience they are much more likley to overlook a load of files in a set of draws full of uni work - they don't know whats valuable or not etc.
    REALLY good point!
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passport - Flung around my room somewhere, really should put it in a safe place.
    Bank statements - In a folder
    National Insurance number - In my bag/purse (although I know this off the top of my head now)
    Driving licence - In a drawer. (I have in fact lost this. Ooops)
    Exam certificates - In a folder
    NHS card - Don't have one? That I know of.
    University accommodation contract and paperwork - In a drawer somewhere

I looked after this stuff on my own before I went to uni.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    I took it all with me, and at the moment it's kept in a file though I realise that isn't the safest way. A water/fireproof mini safe would probably be the best idea.

I'm always shocked at the amount of people at uni who'll go to do something and then be like "oh I haven't got my passport, it's at home..." how useful is that?

They need to be wherever you are really.
    I leave my passport at home. I never needed it in my three years at uni.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP is getting worried over nothing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StartSomething)
    Flung around my room somewhere, really should put it in a safe place.
    I have in fact lost this. Ooops
    StartAFilingSystem, StartSomething!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passport - brought it, just have it on my desk.
    EHIC - lives in my wallet
    Bank statements - all done online now, bank statements from before I started stay at home.
    National Insurance number - brought it, it stays in a folder.
    Driving licence - left the counterpart at home, provisional in my wallet. (This has been replaced with a pink licence now, no need to take the counterpart though.)
    Exam certificates - left at home
    NHS card - left at home. (Haven't bothered registering with the doctor )
    University accommodation contract and paperwork - all done online. Didn't print any of this out.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would say it would be very important to take passport, NIN, accom paperwork, exam certs (mainly for registration if needed and I would take these home again at the first opportunity)

However, I think it would be uneccessary to haul a load of old bank statements to uni, you're extremely unlikely to need them whilst there and it would be just a waste of space. I would suggest registering for internet banking so they are accessible if needed.

If you have your passport, there shouldn't really be a need for your birth certificate - again, probably best to keep at home.

As for storing them - yes a mini safe would be obvious to a thief, so probably keep the documents in a folder inside a draw would be fine. Passports, NIN ect are all very easily replaceable if stolen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    One last point - if you're really concerned about losing NIN you could always take a number of photocopies to uni with you for when you gain employment - this is all an employer needs. Your passport will prove you are a british citizen.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I keep my room in a state of 'organized chaos' so it looks a tip to everyone else, but I know exactly how to find whatever I want. So a burglar would have a good job piecing together enough to steal my identity in this bomb site
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bern1994*)
    StartAFilingSystem, StartSomething!
    Loool love the enthusiasm
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passport - take with me (essential for travelling)
    Bank statements - take one for ID purposes, leave the rest behind
    National Insurance number - only received this halfway through my course (because Guernsey's not in the UK etc etc) so keeping it with me
    Driving licence - take with me
    Counterpart - used to take with me until I converted it to a Dutch license that doesn't have a counterpart
    Exam certificates - left at home
    NHS card - because of Guernsey's complicated political situation I only received this after starting the course
    University accommodation contract and paperwork - take with me
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passport and EHIC card (proof of id - may go on a uni trip??)
    I left mine at home until I had a uni trip planned. TBH, you'll be back at reading week anyway, and you won't be going abroad before that point anyway, unless it's something for your course, which you should know about in advance.
    Bank statements
    Unless you're going to open a new bank account / do something else that requires official proof of address, then you won't need them.
    National Insurance number (might get a p/t job?)
    I don't think I've been asked for the actual NI card at interview, so just take a note of the number.
    Driving licence - paper bit
    I've never felt the need for it, but then again I've only got a provisional!
    Exam certificates
    Unless the uni wants to see them and has specified so, then you won't need them. Part time student-type jobs don't ask for proof of exam grades.
    NHS card (might need the number for registering with a doctor at uni?)
    I just signed up with a surgery at freshers . . . they didn't need anything like an NHS card - they just wanted the details of your name, your old doctor, and I think they might have asked for your NHS card.
    University accommodation contract and paperwork Take it, but it's not the sort of thing that people are going to steal.
    etc etc

Basically, you're not going to be needing that much by way of important paperwork anyway. A safe is a bit pointless, given that anything you're going to buy on a student budget will be a portable piece of crap that only advertises where you keep your valuables. We've got one proper safe in our family - and it's so heavy that the removal men for the last owners couldn't shift it, so it was given us. Now, that's a proper safe! Just keep your documents somewhere inconspicuous - in a folder on your bookshelf, in a drawer etc. Any burglar is only going to be interested in your laptop and phone etc. If you're worried about security when you go out, lock your door (I never bother tbh, but there are two more locked doors before you reach the outside world).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    I just put it in a draw

(Original post by Hanvyj)
    I had mine in a file in a draw
    drawer...

drawer...

drawer!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.