The Student Room Group

cardiologist ???

Hi everyone
Im just really confused I wanted to know what is the average salary per year in the UK

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why is is this in the GCSE forum?!

Here you go anyway: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=553

FY1 and FY2 would not be cardiologists, I think from then on you can be in training to be one as an SP1, 2, 3 etc. but a medic will know better.
Reply 2
Original post by roh
Why is is this in the GCSE forum?!

Here you go anyway: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=553

FY1 and FY2 would not be cardiologists, I think from then on you can be in training to be one as an SP1, 2, 3 etc. but a medic will know better.

hehe yea srry about that
oh okay the pay is really low though :confused::confused::confused:
Reply 3
There is a basic rate of pay for consultants, as should be shown on that link. However, many try to do private work as well to supplement income.
Doctors don't earn as much as some may imagine they do...

Also, you should post this in the Medicine forum.
Reply 4
Original post by xXxnoora95xXx
hehe yea srry about that
oh okay the pay is really low though :confused::confused::confused:

Between just under 40k and a 100k, not including overtime? Hardly the breadline!

It's not the sort of money you'll make at Golman Sachs no, but medicine's about more than the money and you are still definitely going to be in the top band of earners. Particularly as, unlike many top earners, you aren't tied to big cities (notably London) where the cost of living is higher.
Reply 5
If you're applying for medicine because you want money I doubt it's the career for you. There are far easier ways to make money!
Reply 6
Original post by oli_G
If you're applying for medicine because you want money I doubt it's the career for you. There are far easier ways to make money!

could you please name some?
Reply 7
Original post by user1-4

The lottery? Any well paid profession where you can't accidentally kill someone?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone
Im just really confused I wanted to know what is the average salary per year in the UK

Thank you

YOUWant to be a cardiologist and CAREmore about the Mooooney Than the patients? money should be the last thing on your mind. I don't think being a cardiologist is right for you. If you want money, be an engineer? a plumber? win the lottery?
(edited 12 years ago)
Bill and ted from bill and teds most excellent adventure?
Original post by user1-4

Dentist :colone:
Reply 11
I really don't understand why people think just because you care about how much you earn you will make a bad doctor.
Being a doctor is just like any other career, you're going to want to have a good salary at the end of it. Doesn't mean you don't care about your patients.
Original post by Democracy
Dentist :colone:

Relevant smiley :biggrin:
Original post by DeathByBSOD
money should be the last thing on your mind.

Lol, I love these sorts of posts. They can be usually found coming out of some schoolkids mouth, who has in all likelihood never had to pay a bill in his life.

Yeah, real easy to say money should be the last thing on your mind...very different when you are trying to start a new family, small kids to support, a mortgage, car loan, living expenses, student loan, being taxed...yeah, money should really be the last thing on your mind right? :rolleyes:
Original post by digitalis
Lol, I love these sorts of posts. They can be usually found coming out of some schoolkids mouth, who has in all likelihood never had to pay a bill in his life.

Yeah, real easy to say money should be the last thing on your mind...very different when you are trying to start a new family, small kids to support, a mortgage, car loan, living expenses, student loan, being taxed...yeah, money should really be the last thing on your mind right? :rolleyes:

exactly:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by DeathByBSOD
YOUWant to be a cardiologist and CAREmore about the Mooooney Than the patients? money should be the last thing on your mind. I don't think being a cardiologist is right for you. If you want money, be an engineer? a plumber? win the lottery?

look why should I be something where i cant even pay my bills!
Original post by Elwyn
I really don't understand why people think just because you care about how much you earn you will make a bad doctor.
Being a doctor is just like any other career, you're going to want to have a good salary at the end of it. Doesn't mean you don't care about your patients.

It's not that I don't care about patients i really do it is that I wanted to graduate having a career that at least pays my bills and taxes :rolleyes:
Reply 17
It's not that I don't care about patients i really do it is that I wanted to graduate having a career that at least pays my bills and taxes :rolleyes:

You honestly believed that a doctor's salary could not cover basic bills!? And then you sniffed at 100K per year basic rate?! Being rich is what is important to you, lets be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18

That didn't really come across originally to be honest. It's understandable to worry about that everyone does, but there's a reason Dara O'Briain refers to his surgeon wife as 'the pension'. Doctors get paid well, have excellent job security and the pension's amazing.

With the scientific skill set medical candidates have you can (not necessarily will) make more money by gunning for Oxbridge for a science and going into the City. Doctors pay will always have to strike a balance between being lower than private sector (mainly finance) rivals, due to the much greater intangible rewards of medicine (saving lives, helping people etc.), whilst staying high enough so people don't get lured by the thought of the financial rewards on offer to people with their abilities in hedge funds, investment banks, private equity etc.

And if you think the NHS' 70-100k is still too low for you to not go chasing 7 figure bonuses fair enough, it is a lot more money, but there are still plenty queuing up to take your place so there doesn't seem to be any need to raise the salaries of doctors beyond inflation.

I'm sure if the government announced that as part of the cuts a consultant's salary was going down to 25k a year you would see a lot of people leave medicine, because the money is a factor, but that's not going to happen for political reasons. So, it remains the case doctors are the second best paid profession in the UK ( http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/nov/25/highest-paid-jobs-uk-2011 ) and take home average salaries more than double the national average of £31,323 for those in full time employment and comfortably in the top 5% ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8151355.stm ).

Good luck with whatever you do.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Being rich is what is important to you, lets be honest.

Absolutely. After five years of medical school and likely a decade as a 'doctor in training' serving out bonded slavery to the NHS in terms of rotating a new hospital every year, reapplying for the next stage of training every 2-3 years (possibly in a different part of the country), being forced to pay for through the nose for examinations and courses that are mandatory to progress, paying for my own license to practise etc etc etc, I expect to be very well remunerated.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending