Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do you hate on Rihanna?

Announcements Posted on
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    TSR seems pretty opinionated against her, and I'm just wondering why.

I'll address one point which I know, and that is she's very 'sexual' and 'sells sex'. Firstly, if people buy her music they don't see the 'sexual side' of her that sometimes appears in her videos unless they're in the lyrics. But they must have liked the song because they bought it right? Also, on Jonathan Ross she said it was more cultural, as she's from Barbados and she showed a picture of all her friends and they were all in a sexual pose thing.

So yeah, post why you guys hate her

Personally, I prefer her old songs but I think she comes out with a few Gems like 'Take Care', 'What's my name' and 'Talk that Talk'
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ..cause shes a datty filthy sluuuuuuuut

but actually i still like her anyway, her voice is incredible! but im guessing the reason some people dont like her is because of the reason above.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh and before anyone plays the 'autotune' card. She doesn't use autotune with the exception of a few lines in her songs when she did it intentionally for effect, for example

Who's that Chick?
    *Deep* Who's that chick?

The bold was the autotune.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tpxvs)
    ..cause shes a datty filthy sluuuuuuuut

but actually i still like her anyway, her voice is incredible! but im guessing the reason some people dont like her is because of the reason above.
    How is she a slut? She'd still be in a long term relationship with Chris Brown if he never beat her
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind her.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rihanna >>>>>>>

I imagine most of the dislike comes from the fact that she's commercial, as far as the hyper-sexual thing I don't think that's a problem, she's no more overtly sexual than many other musicians who get away with it, Lady Gaga for example comes across to me both as more sexual and more 'deviant' in her sexual imagery and yet she doesn't get the same kind of criticism. It's sad but I honestly think the hyper-sexual criticism of Rihanna links back to being beaten by Chris Brown and the expectation that she should respond to it by becoming timid, which is disgusting but there you go, we've all seen criticisms like this of Rihanna which would suggest that view that being sexually assertive after Brown is something people don't like:

I know it's a joke but there's still a point there
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCC-MGS)
    Rihanna >>>>>>>

I imagine most of the dislike comes from the fact that she's commercial, as far as the hyper-sexual thing I don't think that's a problem, she's no more overtly sexual than many other musicians who get away with it, Lady Gaga for example comes across to me both as more sexual and more 'deviant' in her sexual imagery and yet she doesn't get the same kind of criticism. It's sad but I honestly think the hyper-sexual criticism of Rihanna links back to being beaten by Chris Brown and the expectation that she should respond to it by becoming timid, which is disgusting but there you go, we've all seen criticisms like this of Rihanna which would suggest that view that being sexually assertive after Brown is something people don't like:

I know it's a joke but there's still a point there
    If that's true, that's pretty lame. Perhaps it just shows she's a strong woman?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm with you OP. I hate when people say that artists are only successful / popular because they're selling sex.

She has catchy songs that a lot of people like and that's why she's successful. Plus, anyone's seen her perform live will know that she does sing live with the help of a few backing singers, and doesn't just mime. Even when she doesn't have backing singers and sings over a backing track you can still hear her vocals pretty clearly.

The whole 'sex sells' thing has been exaggerated imo. Rihanna / David Guetta's Who's That Chick and Nicki Minaj's Starships reached the UK top 10 without a music video, so clearly people aren't downloading the tracks just because of the 'sexual message'. (and I'm no NM fan).

It seems that any artist that becomes really successful will have a bunch of haters out there criticising their every move, but when Rihanna said in an interview not long ago that she never claimed to be a role model and that she believes it's a parents job to bring up their kids how they want, and not down to celebrities to be role models I think she had a point.

Somehow I think if Adele was slimmer, she too would have sexed up her image a la Rihanna / Katy Perry. A sexier image =/= no talent. Why does nobody ever criticise Beyonce for doing the same?

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but they're just my 2 cents.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a rusH)
    It's considering this:

When music like this exists:

For me, it's a no-brainer - In my eyes, the latter is better music.
    Just because you think something is better surely does not mean you need to hate the other?

----

It's considering this:

For me, it's a no-brainer - In my eyes, the latter is better music

----

I dont hate the artist or the song you posted however.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Just because you think something is better surely does not mean you need to hate the other?

----

It's considering this:

For me, it's a no-brainer - In my eyes, the latter is better music

----

I dont hate the artist or the song you posted however.
    I originally put "real" music but that seems to have pissed off a few people, so I changed it.
    I just think Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Nikki Minaj etc are all so similar (weird fashion sense, dance music, sexualised, etc) and seems like they do it all just for attention and sales. I admire artists like Laura Marling because she purposely doesn't make an effort to be like that; she's just herself, and successful because of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't have a problem with her.
    She's making money in a recession, and I have no doubt, if I was given the opportunities she has had, I would probably do the same.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I actually think Rihanna is a good singer. She has a unique mixture of an American and Barbadian accent which is highlighted well in song choices.

Plus, the songs are just so catchy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a rusH)
    I originally put "real" music but that seems to have pissed off a few people, so I changed it.
    I just think Rihanna, Lady GaGa, Nikki Minaj etc are all so similar (weird fashion sense, dance music, sexualised, etc) and seems like they do it all just for attention and sales. I admire artists like Laura Marling because she purposely doesn't make an effort to be like that; she's just herself, and successful because of it.
    That makes more sense now. I dont mind the odd song by some of those artists I must admit, but as a whole the majority of 'chart hit' artists are just boring because its been done before and done better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    because music isn't all about taking your clothes off...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its the whole "sex sells" that you mentioned really.why does the media rarely promote women who are talented singers and are covered up? for example emile sande.
    Dont please reply with adele we all know why they cover her up.....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    She can't sing live most of the time. She always does sing live, but whether or not her performances are of an acceptable standard is another matter. In difficult songs/parts of songs she always has her voice playing in the background and sings along to it, so as to cover up any bum notes. Don't get me wrong, she has done some good performances, but her usual standard is below that which I think should be necessary to get into the music industry.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with her at all, I like her "don't give a crap" attitude.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    People like to hate others.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    She has quite a few bangers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate her at all. She's hot and successful.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 17, 2013
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.