Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to punch anyone that uses the term 'real music'

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else hate this?

Fair enough you don't like Justin Bieber or some rapper or some whore (ke$ha) or some autotuned waste of air but coming in with your favourite classic album and saying 'this is real music' makes you look like a ****.

Spoiler:
    Show
    cue Miracle Day talking about the beaver and at least one person mentioning Pink Floyd
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love real music, totes love Ed sheeran and Mumford and Sons, they're so alternative and fresh, hehe. /sarcasm.

Yeah, I hate people that use the term 'real music', it doesn't even mean anything.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Except for the part about Justin being a beaver.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also 'Generic Pop music'.

I've yet to hear a definition of what that actually means.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it's in a discussion about your fave bands, it's perfectly ok imo, we all believe our taste is better than everyone elses (btw, Pink Floyd FTW!!!!)

But if you're purposely going onto a youtube video of Justin Beiber just to say something negative, then that's pointless imo.

Music is down to the individual, i don't like rap or pop, but that's me. But i detest it when people try to make me listen to rap music, so I avoid forcing them to listen to the stuff i like, but they hate....

However when they do say they'll listen to one of my songs if i listen to one of their songs first, theirs only one song i insist they listen to (to ensure revenge); Echoes by Pink Floyd (none of my friends like Pink Floyd), generally after 6 minutes in, they've lost the smirk for having blasted by ears by music i don't like, after 25 minutes, they've lost the will to live....
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Also 'Generic Pop music'.

I've yet to hear a definition of what that actually means.
    Middle of the road stuff with no emotion or power behind, just safe music-by-numbers designed to appeal to as many people as possible.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost as bad as people who use the term 'real woman'!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the use of the term 'real music' either however when people say 'generic pop music' I think they refer to the already been done/sounding the same/synth saturated/four on the floor/same chord progression/plagiarized vocal melody type of songs that feature on MTV or the radio.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most music is real...unless it has complex time signatures.

\maths and music joke.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really. Who cares how people phrase it? It is just a common way that people denigrate one form of music whilst simultaneously extolling the virtues of another. It is just a colloqialism; the musical analogue of Crocodile Dundee saying "Call that a knife? This is a knife".

I can't say I particularly like or feel the need to **** all over a type of music/tv programme/food etc. that other people like just because I don't like or rate it but I can't say that I am that moved when other people do.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    soooo pretentious... it's usually the hipsters who think they're so cool and alternative claiming their undying love for "real artists" like ben howard and the like... why they are any more "real" than other singers/bands i don't know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Most music is real...unless it has complex time signatures.

\maths and music joke.
    Haha I haven't done maths in a while and only just got that.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people who use the term 'real music' are often mistaken in thinking that other people some how seek their approval on their music tastes.

I personally listen to a huge variety of music, music i love with a passion. But at the end of the day i really couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about what i listen to.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like real music made by real women, like Susan Boyle. :dice:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pop is not real music, so someone needs to school these boobs on what IS real music. So Y U MAD?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Almost as bad as people who use the term 'real woman'!
    Reminds me of the Jacamo advert. That clothes website that caters for the larger man.

"It's fashion for real men" = It's fashion for men who struggles to get into a store, let alone an XL piece of clothing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Music is art, and art reflects the times. Therefore all music is equally worth, whether it's the Saturdays or The Shins. Your own taste is your presonal choice.

However, I do hate musical ignorance. Whether it's silly little teenage girls who won't listen to anything that isn't One Direction, or pretentious toffs who won't listen to anything other than Bach. You have to give all music a chance in order to find what you truely like. By telling yourself that you like this one kind of music and not bothering to seek out new music then you're just being blind and missing out.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    soooo pretentious... it's usually the hipsters who think they're so cool and alternative claiming their undying love for "real artists" like ben howard and the like... why they are any more "real" than other singers/bands i don't know.
    If you're asking why The Smittens are more real than The Corrs it's because The Smittens don't rely on software to attempt to make music. Where as The Corrs, who my mum was playing in the car about 6 months ago, were simply using software to attempt to make music. It sounded over produced and tacky. It didn't take any musical talent to make. It was clearly made with one intention, sell to the mass market of jumps who are obsessed with dido and other bland pathetic so called 'artists'.

When you don't have to be able to sing or play an instrument, or you don't even bother. When the music is so obviously made for the sake of generating revenue, not to make a piece of art, that's when music isn't 'real' music.

The reasons why people make music usually effect the music they make. Now I'm not saying that always happens, I'm not saying that some people aren't making music to make money that I like. For all I know some of them are just trying to do that.

But some artists clearly don't. When an artist just does lots of gigs and makes music that obviously won't be sold to the mass market, you can't argue that they're in it to make money.

That's not to say every mainstream artists is in it to just make money or be famous. But some of them very blatantly are.

Edit:
    Before replying to this post, read the one in the link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post37197195
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Does anyone else hate this?

Fair enough you don't like Justin Bieber or some rapper or some whore (ke$ha) or some autotuned waste of air but coming in with your favourite classic album and saying 'this is real music' makes you look like a ****.

Spoiler:
    Show
    cue Miracle Day talking about the beaver and at least one person mentioning Pink Floyd
    Sorry.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to punch anyone that doesn't open their eyes to the great music that's out there but just takes what's given to them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.