The Student Room Group

Buying & claiming back the money from DSA?

I'm not sure how this works I haven't had it explained to me. If I want to buy something on DSA, do I have to ask them first or do I just buy the item (software used for my course in this case) and send them the receipt? Or can I do both?

Thanks for any advice
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
If you've been given a general allowance then you can buy something which has been assigned to the general allowance e.g. usually books and then you send them a receipt and they pay you back, it usually takes 3 weeks. Ensure anything you buy is part of your allowance, if it isn't then they have no obligation to refund you the costs.

In the case of equipment being assigned to you such as a printer, computer etc then they buy that for you via one of their distributors and you would be contacted by them to arrange delivery.
Reply 2
If it's software for your course, you may not get DSA to pay for it. It has to be agreed beforehand.
Reply 3
Original post by OU Student
If it's software for your course, you may not get DSA to pay for it. It has to be agreed beforehand.

It is software that are on the university computers and no one is expected to have it on their home computers, i.e not compulsory to own the software yourself and I hear that DSA only do not fund software that is compulsory for you to own, leading me to believe that I may indeed be entitled to certain software.

The whole point in me receiving a desktop in the first place from DSA was because I have days where it is tough for me to go into uni, but what is the point in the desktop if I still must use the university computers because it doesn't have what I need to do my studies? So far this desktop I have received has been completely pointless because I still find myself needing to use the university computers just as much as before since there is no way I can afford ~£200-300 worth of software with how much rent costs in Brighton. I mistakenly thought that the general allowance could be used to buy such software but I find out that now I can't, otherwise I would have brought the issue up during my needs assessment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lewk
It is software that are on the university computers and no one is expected to have it on their home computers, i.e not compulsory to own the software yourself and I hear that DSA only do not fund software that is compulsory for you to own, leading me to believe that I may indeed be entitled to certain software.

The whole point in me receiving a desktop in the first place from DSA was because I have days where it is tough for me to go into uni, but what is the point in the desktop if I still must use the university computers because it doesn't have what I need to do my studies? So far this desktop I have received has been completely pointless because I still find myself needing to use the university computers just as much as before since there is no way I can afford ~£200-300 worth of software with how much rent costs in Brighton. I mistakenly thought that the general allowance could be used to buy such software but I find out that now I can't, otherwise I would have brought the issue up during my needs assessment.

If you have to work at home your assessor should have recommended course specific software, but some funding bodies are funny about paying for it. In some cases the DSA approved suppliers can;t quote for the software so the assessor may suggest you purchase it and reclaim cost through general allowance, but it depends what is written into your report. Go back and talk to them as further recommendations can be made if your needs change or things don't work out.
Reply 5
Original post by Lewk

What is the software btw? Often Universities will have access to MSDNAA so that if it's a Microsoft product (except Office) then you can get it from there for free. Dreamspark is also available if you're doing some sort of programming.

I can only recommend what NJones has though, the needs assessor or DSA directly are the best ones to contact to see if they will compensate software.
Reply 6
I was told that if I wanted a software package that was a CD Rom dictionary, I could claim that via the book allowance, although I'm yet to get to that stage yet. I suppose it all depends on what kind of software it is, but I would suggest speaking to a needs assessor or DSA to clarify before parting with your cash just in case you end up being out of pocket.

Quick Reply

Latest