Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

can i adjust mirrors for turn in the road (3-point turn)?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All i do to help me is just before i start to reverse, i set my right mirror downwards so i can how close i am to the kerb. This helps me to get as close as possible without hitting it, and before i drive off i just set it back to normal.

would this be okay to do in the test, adjusting your mirror for a turn in the road?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can do it of course, but don't forget to bring it back again when u finish your manoeuvre.
    I would even advise to adjust mirrors when reversing makes things much more easier

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Would you do that in real life where traffic is waiting for you on both sides?

It takes too long to be faffing and fannying about with mirrors in the middle of a road mid-manoeuvre while traffic is waiting. Even worse if you have to do it twice: once before the 2nd shunt and again before the 3rd. If you don't clear the kerb on the 3rd shunt, are you going to spend another minute blocking traffic while you lower it again for the 4th and raise it again for the 5th?

To answer your question about "test", you will be faulted if you take an unreasonably long time to complete the manoeuvre.

You should have sufficient judgement skills to judge the size of your car and proximity to the kerb without turning your mirrors down each time. Ask your instructor to train your judgement.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.