Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pass Plus instructor wants £500+ for new alloy after I scraped it in lesson.

Announcements Posted on
Have you had the experience of living with an eating disorder? Share your story here.. 06-03-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. I had a Pass Plus driving lesson yesterday (passed test in December with same instructor, this is my first time driving since then). Going round a roundabout I made a really dumb error and managed to scrape along the curb which has damaged the tyre and alloy.

We stopped to check the wheel and I made the stupid mistake of asking how much it would cost me.

He's since said he will pay for the tyre and I can buy the new alloy at £536! The option of refurbishing the tire would cost around £90 but would put him out of work for 4 days apparently.

Henoffered me me the damaged tyre so I can get it refurbed and sell it. But wants me to simply transfer the money for the wheel to his account instead of ordering it myself. I haven't seen a receipt yet.

I I do mostly trust this guy as I've been with him for a while but this is starting to seem sketchy. He says it's not covered in his insurance.

Do I/does he have a legal leg to stand on? Should I just suck it up and realise I made an error and would be a douche to make him pay?

Thanks in advance
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It should be covered on his insurance as his insurance should include accidental damage! I wouldn't pay it and he is responsible for the car and to have the car covered with special leaner insurance aswell . Sounds like he just wants the money off you and its highly unlikely you'll get prosecuted for it.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Adele, I would imagine you're probably right the only grey area I can see is that im technically not a learner as much as I am a student. I don't want my decision to be solely based on legal, I want there to be a moral basis to it too but also don't want to get ripped off! At very least I feel like I'd be within my rights to not pay for the wheel until I've seen a receipt or ask for the phone number for Audi so I can directly order the wheel myself, no?
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I understand where your coming from, normally they'll go through the insurance and obviously he doesn't want to. Yeah wouldn't pay a penny until there was proof
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    don't pay him a penny. unless you signed something to say you would be liable for any mishaps, then you aren't liable.

on a moral basis, you paid him for use of the car, this includes insurance on the vehicle, if you crash, cause injury to someone, damage the car or others property, the insurance will cover it.

he just doesn't want to go via his insurers, the excess is probably higher than a standard vehicle, and he will probably lose his no claims, but that's not your problem, its a cost of his business.

There's no being a 'douche' involved, morally and legally speaking you don't have to pay a single penny, even if you were liable by something you have signed, the extent of your liability would be to a value of the excess that his insurers charge.

Just say you're not paying for it, if he wants to pursue it further he's welcome to take you to court.
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candylion5)
    Thanks Adele, I would imagine you're probably right the only grey area I can see is that im technically not a learner as much as I am a student. I don't want my decision to be solely based on legal, I want there to be a moral basis to it too but also don't want to get ripped off! At very least I feel like I'd be within my rights to not pay for the wheel until I've seen a receipt or ask for the phone number for Audi so I can directly order the wheel myself, no?
    You do not pay for anything at all..............I think he's just trying to trick you out of your money.
    £536 for a single new alloy, what an absolute rip off, that is just so illogical considering the cost. And £90 for "refurbishing" a tyre :rofl:

Let me just say do not pay him a penny and do not go back to him, in fact report him for that behaviour.

It isn't immoral to not pay him................the money you give him for your pass plus is supposed to cover your tuition, use of car, petrol, etc but also the insurance for accidents like the one you had.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Don't pay - you were paying for a lesson - so should be covered by his insurance.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps there may be a reason he is avoiding insurance e.g. losing NCD but that doesn't mean you should pay him. If it was something small like a wing mirror I wouldn't have any reservations. But the fact that he has asked you for such a large amount of money directly is suspicious; you have no legal/moral obligation to comply. Do not pay.
  9. Online

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in a bit of a sticky situation here. I had a Pass Plus driving lesson yesterday (passed test in December with same instructor, this is my first time driving since then). Going round a roundabout I made a really dumb error and managed to scrape along the curb which has damaged the tyre and alloy.

We stopped to check the wheel and I made the stupid mistake of asking how much it would cost me.

He's since said he will pay for the tyre and I can buy the new alloy at £536! The option of refurbishing the tire would cost around £90 but would put him out of work for 4 days apparently.

Henoffered me me the damaged tyre so I can get it refurbed and sell it. But wants me to simply transfer the money for the wheel to his account instead of ordering it myself. I haven't seen a receipt yet.

I I do mostly trust this guy as I've been with him for a while but this is starting to seem sketchy. He says it's not covered in his insurance.

Do I/does he have a legal leg to stand on? Should I just suck it up and realise I made an error and would be a douche to make him pay?

Thanks in advance
    you firstly tell him where to shove it and secondly tell him to sod off or youll inform his supervisors.

He pays insurance premiums for a reason. He pays them to fix his car when a LEARNER driver has a bump
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Adele, I would imagine you're probably right the only grey area I can see is that im technically not a learner as much as I am a student.
    Your status as a driver is irrelevant. You are his client. His car is insured against damage incurred in the course of carrying out his services (and has to be, by law). By the very nature of those services, the client almost always causes the damage. He is trying it on and, in any event, almost certainly won't replace the wheel. A driving instructor who fits expensive alloys to his learner car is an idiot in any case.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Your status as a driver is irrelevant. You are his client. His car is insured against damage incurred in the course of carrying out his services (and has to be, by law). By the very nature of those services, the client almost always causes the damage. He is trying it on and, in any event, almost certainly won't replace the wheel. A driving instructor who fits expensive alloys to his learner car is an idiot in any case.
    I'm going to be a little pedantic...

Most instructor insurance has an excess which is often £500 or more. A fault prang is going to cost him. In addition, very often cars are leased and come with expensive alloys! No, we don't understand why and yes we should probably replace them with something cheap!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 6, 2015
2015 general election
New on TSR

Ask a Lib Dem MP your questions

Grill Norman Lamb MP about mental health

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.