Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread ‎-MK II

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed my test earlier today (first test) - got 11 minors and 1 serious - clocked up the serious in the last part of the test for going for a gap on the roundabout but not putting my foot down enough, which meant another car behind me had to move out of the way!

So annoyed - really feel like crying...felt like I was so close to passing
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stos)
    Just failed my test for the third time... 1 minor and 1 major for not stopping for long enough at a stop sign :mad:
    There isn't a set period of time to stop at a stop sign for, so you'll have failed for either not coming to a complete stop, or for not noticing hazards around you when you pulled off again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, but this is my first post.

I had my first test this afternoon and failed in the last 2 minutes (literally). I was turning left at a traffic lighted T junction, and as I got round the corner there was a pedestrian crossing that happened to be beside the traffic light for people coming from my right going straight on. I saw the pedestrians waiting, I saw the red light, and I stopped. Other than that I had 9 minors, 3 of which were for being a bit too slow on the NSL roads.

The most annoying thing is that thinking back I realise I subconsciously noticed the lack of stop line, and that there wasn't a light on my side of the road. Not that that helps me now, though.

I'm in Edinburgh atm, and moving down to Coventry to start teacher training at Warwick next week, so it's not even just a case of getting in for a cancellation as soon as I can. I can't get a test appointment outside school hours at either Coventry or Rugby (where my school is) anyway, so since it looks like I'm going to have to wait until October half term anyway I'm better off coming back up here and doing it with my current instructor, rather than spending time and money that I don't have getting used to a new car and the perils of new test routes down south. My other option is trying to get a Saturday cancellation if possible and coming up for the weekend. I really need to get it done as soon as I can, until I pass my commute to school is going to consist of a bus, a train, and then a 10 minute walk from the train station - all while carrying school supplies. *sigh*
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I failed my 2nd test and not feeling to happy about it...naturally!

But strangely I'm not as down as when I failed my first test. On the first test, I was so close to passing I could smell the pass certificate paper! But I messed up on the cross roads. Was really depressed, couldn't sleep for maybe a week.

This time I failed (the test was in the morning) even I was amazed how many silly mistakes I had made. The nerves had got the better of me I suppose. One thing that didn't help was my instructor; just before the test Iwas praticing the manoeuvres, but he was constantly shouting at me and making me unsettled. By the time I hot to the test I was shattered! My advice is to do the pratice session well in advance so you give your self plenty of time to get prepared for the actual test.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my instructor, and I suggest any of you guys have similar experience to mine, consider it as well. My missus was really angry, not because I failed, but because I still haven't changed my instructor, which she suggested right after my first test failure. Because he did the same thing in my first test too, shouting and getting me all tensed up before the test.

Also I've been to the test centre countless times, and according to him we had covered all the routes. Well today I found that he hadn't as the examiner took me somewhere totally alien to me. Of course that shouldn't be an excuse, the rules of the road should apply no matter where you are. But it did take me by surprise somewhat.

I feel really down, but I have to believe that I will pass. It took my old man four times before he passed! So I won't giveup so easily! The downside Iis of course the money, it's so damn expensive, but if you can pass then that's the ultimate goal.

Any advice would be appreciated, and please don't hesitate to ask me anything!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadedpages)
    I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, but this is my first post.

I had my first test this afternoon and failed in the last 2 minutes (literally). I was turning left at a traffic lighted T junction, and as I got round the corner there was a pedestrian crossing that happened to be beside the traffic light for people coming from my right going straight on. I saw the pedestrians waiting, I saw the red light, and I stopped. Other than that I had 9 minors, 3 of which were for being a bit too slow on the NSL roads.

The most annoying thing is that thinking back I realise I subconsciously noticed the lack of stop line, and that there wasn't a light on my side of the road. Not that that helps me now, though.

I'm in Edinburgh atm, and moving down to Coventry to start teacher training at Warwick next week, so it's not even just a case of getting in for a cancellation as soon as I can. I can't get a test appointment outside school hours at either Coventry or Rugby (where my school is) anyway, so since it looks like I'm going to have to wait until October half term anyway I'm better off coming back up here and doing it with my current instructor, rather than spending time and money that I don't have getting used to a new car and the perils of new test routes down south. My other option is trying to get a Saturday cancellation if possible and coming up for the weekend. I really need to get it done as soon as I can, until I pass my commute to school is going to consist of a bus, a train, and then a 10 minute walk from the train station - all while carrying school supplies. *sigh*
    I also failed my first test in literally the last 5 minutes. These things happen, just take the positives from the first test and move on. We have to believe that we will pass! It took my dad four tests before he passed, a friend of mine it took seven! And from the sound of your post, I certainly feel it won't take you that long! Hopefully next time you'll do it!
    I can understand the inconvenience side of things, you could always try to call up the test centre to check for weekend cancellations. Hope that helps!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed today with 9 minors and 2 serious. Had 3 minors for gears because I was driving along this long road with a 50mph speed limit and was slowing down for bends but I was only changing gear when i was in the bend and should have done it as I was approaching which is fair enough. She did say that she liked how I block changed gears at least.

I got one serious for getting too close to a car where she said if I was any closer she would have had to move the steering wheel herself. The other was for observation at a junction but not sure what else I could have done for that. She did also mention that when I wait behind parked cars I need to show my intention to other drivers by pointing the car out a bit as she said cars behind me could think I'm parking. Overall she said to me I just need to tweak my driving a bit. Slightly annoyed because it's only little things and I'm now going to have to wait at least 2 months to do my test again. I'm fed up of driving lessons though so I think I'll leave it and maybe just do it again at the start of next year.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just read through some of these again and feel like even though I failed yesterday is that no-one should give up...I'm already booked in for my next lesson and as soon as a suitable test date comes up..I'm booking straight away. Everyone just keep going...perseverance shall pay off..I'm sure!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed my first driving test today.

What annoyed me most was the fact that if I hadn't of stalled 4 times, I wouldn't have picked up the serious.
    Fingers crossed for next time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i just passed my test 2nd time after posting about failing on here the other week ! Keep going guys just because you failed doesn't been your a bad driver. I actually loved both my tests as me and my examiner really clicked, failed 1st and was quite shocked he failed me for what he did especially after he said he really wanted to pass me as i pretty much drove perfectly . I then got the same examiner next time and again we had a right laugh, at the end he said that he 'wanted to get me as he couldn't fail me again as I'm a good driver' pretty much admitting he got it wrong the first time. So tips; make sure your nice to your examiner, drive how you would normally, but most of time the driving test is just luck or bad luck, i know both mine were!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a nice comment from your examiner, Exx. I'd be quite happy to get the same examiner again next time, he was lovely and seemed to be genuinely disappointed that he wasn't able to pass me. It looks like there's been a string of us failing in the last couple of days - fingers crossed we all manage to get new appointments and pass in the not too distant future!

I'm in a more positive mood today. This time last week I'd had two bad lessons back to back and was seriously considering cancelling my test appointment. If I'd done that, I'd be £75 better off today, but I still wouldn't have a pass certificate, nor would I have the knowledge that my driving is good enough to pass and that I was able to keep control of my nerves. In the grand scheme of things, £75 is a small amount to pay for being able to go into my second test confident in my ability to do it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just failed my second test 😢 feeling really down about it and could do with some advice. Totally feel like giving up now. I was so nervous and hadn't slept all night so had a killer headache. The drive went fantastic and I honestly thought I had passed so I was devastated when he said I had failed. I got two minors and 1 serious. The serious was for turning in to a side road, when there was an oncoming car coming toward me so apparently if I had left it a second later he would of had to brake. The thing which has annoyed me is I looked and never saw anything so it must of arrived really fast as I was already turning into the side road oh well. Just feel so upset and annoyed. And now it's more money booking another test just to feel all nervous and misserable again! Bloody awesome 😄
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my 2nd test on Saturday afternoon, having a test is nervous enough but will be in town during rush hour which is adding an extra bit of nerves. This can either benefit me as traffic will be slow and busy or be bad as people will be rushing.

I had a good drive my first time, couple of minors for nerves such as trying to steer round a corner and change gear at the same time, which i don't usually do. Serious was traffic lights turning amber as i was approaching, didn't think i could stop in time and kept going.

Has anyone else had a Saturday afternoon driving test, how was it? I know different towns are different but all town centers will be busy. My main weakness is hills, not hill starts but giveways or short stop on a hill. worked on them in my last lesson, which has improved that, still have 2 lessons to go before my test aswell.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is great because i can share my disappointment with other people who failed their tests which makes me feel like less of a moron.

Just failed my 1st test for driving too closely to parked cars. The thing that most annoyed me was "but apart from that it was a lovely drive", i understand they want to give positives but it just seems patronising. At the point where i am being told i have failed, i could do without the a petty complement. Frankly Id rather he just tell me why i failed and then leave.(rant over)

My instructor was disappointed with it because i have never had any problems with it in mock tests or driving generally. I actually thought the drive was great and thought i had passed, having not really had any problems. I got 3 minors for steering, hesitation and turning right.

The most annoying thing is that i cant retake until the 8th of October - which is ****ing ages considering i am at 'test standard'. Oh well - i guess next time ill just have to slow my speed more near parked cars and move out further.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cammc445)
    This thread is great because i can share my disappointment with other people who failed their tests which makes me feel like less of a moron.

Just failed my 1st test for driving too closely to parked cars. The thing that most annoyed me was "but apart from that it was a lovely drive", i understand they want to give positives but it just seems patronising. At the point where i am being told i have failed, i could do without the a petty complement. Frankly Id rather he just tell me why i failed and then leave.(rant over)

My instructor was disappointed with it because i have never had any problems with it in mock tests or driving generally. I actually thought the drive was great and thought i had passed, having not really had any problems. I got 3 minors for steering, hesitation and turning right.

The most annoying thing is that i cant retake until the 8th of October - which is ****ing ages considering i am at 'test standard'. Oh well - i guess next time ill just have to slow my speed more near parked cars and move out further.
    Your story is so similar to mine! I posted it a few weeks ago and my serious was for getting too close to a parked car as well!
    My instructor had said the same thing, I've never done it in lessons either :mad:
    I've also rebooked my test for October but I'm hoping to find a test date for September :crossedf:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadedpages)
    What a nice comment from your examiner, Exx. I'd be quite happy to get the same examiner again next time, he was lovely and seemed to be genuinely disappointed that he wasn't able to pass me. It looks like there's been a string of us failing in the last couple of days - fingers crossed we all manage to get new appointments and pass in the not too distant future!

I'm in a more positive mood today. This time last week I'd had two bad lessons back to back and was seriously considering cancelling my test appointment. If I'd done that, I'd be £75 better off today, but I still wouldn't have a pass certificate, nor would I have the knowledge that my driving is good enough to pass and that I was able to keep control of my nerves. In the grand scheme of things, £75 is a small amount to pay for being able to go into my second test confident in my ability to do it.
    Hehe I know right! He's actually the perfect examiner, great guy. It really is so much easier if you get a nice examiner as it doesn't feel like your on your test so I hope you get a nice one again. When is your next test?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    Your story is so similar to mine! I posted it a few weeks ago and my serious was for getting too close to a parked car as well!
    My instructor had said the same thing, I've never done it in lessons either :mad:
    I've also rebooked my test for October but I'm hoping to find a test date for September :crossedf:
    Its nice to know that someone else is in the same position. I think id rather have failed by doing something obvious like failing the manoeuvre - as i never really felt like i was less than a metre from the car - but i respect his judgement. Yes i am also hoping to get a slot if one comes up, which will be easier when i get my school timetable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ARGHHHH JUST FAILED FIRST ATTEMPT YESTERDAY, WHICH IVE BEEN PREPARING FOR MONTHS. I just let nerves get to me , my leg was having a huge spasm when I was doing the reverse parking and the examiner actually had to advise me to take my leg of the clutch for a moment and take a deep breath. From that point I knew that I was gunna fail and it sucks cuz I really need a license rite now and my self esteem is non existent now. And then I panicked even more and went through a road that said no entry. I was so nervous that I actually forgot to move off in first gear and I moved off in neutral, something that NEVER EVER happens to me..

Oh well atleast I know what its like now. arghh
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cammc445)
    Its nice to know that someone else is in the same position. I think id rather have failed by doing something obvious like failing the manoeuvre - as i never really felt like i was less than a metre from the car - but i respect his judgement. Yes i am also hoping to get a slot if one comes up, which will be easier when i get my school timetable.
    I said the same exact thing to my instructor! it's such a stupid thing to fail on and I didn't agree with the examiner about how close I was but nothing I could do :rolleyes:
    How long is the waiting list at your test centre? At the moment mine is 9 weeks :unimpressed:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    I said the same exact thing to my instructor! it's such a stupid thing to fail on and I didn't agree with the examiner about how close I was but nothing I could do :rolleyes:
    How long is the waiting list at your test centre? At the moment mine is 9 weeks :unimpressed:
    Yeah its just one of those things where you have to accept what the examiner has judged to be too close - even though you may have thought otherwise.

The test centre is a bit better here, there are a few gaps in 4 weeks but 6 weeks is the general waiting time.

My twin is doing his test tomorrow - sort of mixed emotions. He will be bragging if he beats me but i do obviously want him to pass, especially because he can be my chauffeur!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2014
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.