Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Ultimate "I failed my driving test!" Thread ‎-MK II

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed today I was so nervous at the beginning which led to me having failed within about the first three minutes!! So frustrating because the rest of the test was fine - I only got 1 major and 5 minors

Also I really want to get a cancellation before I go to uni on the 5th October - how likely is this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well today I sat my second driving test. Now I'm a good driver my instructor loves my driving especially my observation! I won't talk about my first because my park was a disaster and it failed me. Today I had a young examiner (new guy) let's call him steve, Steve didn't know his lefts to his rights! He didn't know where his sheet was he just stared at my breasts! ( C cup nothing special) that where covered up! Anyways steve didn't right one thing on his sheet until I finished my test, then he marked down a serious for my observation because I didn't check my blind spot. ( I did) but clearly my boobs where still distracting him from checking!. Just wondering if he's allowed to do that? ( mark the board after the test is over as before it was empty)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I failed my second test. Had some pretty difficult roads, there was one instance where we were driving down a narrow high street, with parked cars on both sides of the road. There was a massive lorry in front indicating left. The next thing I know, some madman comes at me from the pavement across the road and starts yelling at me (I had my windows rolled up so I had no idea what on earth he was saying), which startles/panics me. I was already slowing, but the man kept shouting in my window whilst standing in the middle of the road!!! The examiner starts getting annoyed at the random man and tells him to back off. Turns out the lorry was trying to reverse park and I was in the way. I stop and reverse to let it park. I wasn't failed for that, surprisingly! He just marked it as a minor under "planning". Nevertheless, I was pretty much in shambles after that incident.

Has anyone else had a pedestrian interfere in your test unnecessarily?

I passed on my third try though!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just want to pass on my experience and give you some hope and cheering on. I'm 26, passed on my 4th attempt today and seriously thought this day would never come. I've taken tests in 4 different cities, spent approx 40-50 hours in total over 8 years, I took large gaps of no driving but here I am. Previously nerves screwed things up for me massively.

Today on my test I stalled, stayed in the right lane when going straight ahead at a traffic light but should have been in the left and left my indicator on a tad too long but because I noticed these mistakes and corrected them asap I think it really helped. I ended up with 6 minors and honestly thought I would have had 2-3 majors. Keep going, even if you think you've failed you gotta keep your head in a positive mindset. Accept the nerves but tell yourself you will not let them ruin this for you. I used rescue remedy and drank water. I also think talking out loud my decisions really helped me so for example a pedestrian walked behind me whilst I was doing my reverse park. I stopped the car and stated I was doing so because I see the pedestrians and will continue when it's safe. Same for being in the wrong lane, I said to him I'm in this lane due to possible obstructions ahead and will change back to the left when the light is green and it is safe to do so. This was a slight white lie but no minors for it.

I know it seems like the biggest deal and all you want to do is pass and believe me I get that, but you will if you keep trying. Who cares if it takes you 2,4,6 etc times, you will get there eventually and it is really all worth it. Do not let nerves spoil it for you, remember you can control your emotions or let them control you. Be confident, state why you are making decisions if you feel like it and always always use mirrors and blind checks. Happy to give any advice and good luck.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    First test i failed due to not looking when pulling into the left- Fair enough my mistake and Hesitation getting up to speed.

Second time about 3 weeks ago some lady walked out as i was turning left when the lights had just gone green and she'd seen them change then stopped and as i was turning decided to go anyway...i ended up stalling because i didn't put it into first right over the crossing so 50/50 i did see the mistake i made and ended up stalling in a dangerous place so also fair enough.

Today test 3, me and my instructor think I've been stitched up, everything was going fine until the last minute where he started racking things up....apparently i was slowing down too much approaching pedestrian crossings ( just in case they changed to red) and the other main thing was apparently not giving myself enough time to look on a restricted view cross-road which is where he put the major even though if i'd gone any slower he probably would have got me for undue hesitation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx-Samantha-xx)
    Today test 3, me and my instructor think I've been stitched up, even thing was going fine until the last minute where he started racking things up....main thing was apparently slowing down too much approaching pedestrian crossings ( just in case they changed to red) but the main thing was two turns away from the test center on the way back it was a cross-road where the right is open and the left it restricted, i slowed right down before the cross road in order to look early so i'm not gonna get done for undue hesitation as it was being slow on junctions the second time that racked up hesitation points the second time because that examiner was saying you look then just go if its clear which it was, i did the exact same thing at the t-junction towards to test center with parked cars on both sides and he doesn't mention it at all !!. My instructor saw the sheet through the window when he started adding things to it, my instructor got the feeling that if i woulda been any slower out of the junction he probably would have got me for undue hesitation so i couldn't really win !! i wouldn't mind if i had actually made a big dangerous mistake like the first two as i can admit to my own mistakes but now i'm just miffed because it's not exactly cheap !!
    Rather a rambling wall of text which doesn't make much sense. I'm none the wiser as you why you actually failed.

Were you too fast approaching particular junctions or too slow? I think I understand the part about pedestrian crossings. Why on earth would you overreact "in case they changed to red"? Hasn't your instructor taught you what causes them to change and how to anticipate this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed today, first attempt.
    Got 1 serous and 7 minors.
    missed my turning so was told to go a different way, which took me onto a narrow 1 way road, half way up the 1 way was a crossroads where it intersected another 1 way, also a narrow road, got told to turn right onto the 2nd 1 way so i stopped, hand break, 1st gear, looking both ways, found my bite, released the break and pulled of.
    I started juttering so i applied more revs which made me take the turn a bit too fast, clipped the curb and stalled.
    There was no other traffic or pedestrians around.
    so i applied the hand break, looked all around and moved off again safely, I thought the guy let me off but evidently not.
    I failed within the first 2 minutes, the rest of my drive was fine, not happy right now.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    Rather a rambling wall of text which doesn't make much sense. I'm none the wiser as you why you actually failed.

Were you too fast approaching particular junctions or too slow? I think I understand the part about pedestrian crossings. Why on earth would you overreact "in case they changed to red"? Hasn't your instructor taught you what causes them to change and how to anticipate this?
    Sorry, i was a little miffed yesterday and i've gone back over it and re-wrote it.

My instructor has taught me about that and how to anticipate them changing, all i'd done was lifted off the accelerator a little going about 25 mph just in case people walked out across the crossing (many people have done this in the past) or they did change. The area i learn has a mix of hybrid/ fast changing lights/people randomly walking out into the road particularly on the road in question so i am always cautious on that road maybe overly so however it's never been an issue before.

With the junction apparently i was too fast even though i crawled and looked both ways was clear and then went as it was a give way not a stop sign.

However there is not much i can do but book a re-test and listen to the debrief at the end
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    failed today 1st attempt i had one major for being in the wrong lain. It was second exit on the roundabout so went in left lain i missed the sign turns out was meant to be right lain i didn't indicate so he failed me with one major and no minors GUTTED. Got another test booked for the 14th of November iv been told to get a cancellation as my drive was perfect just one silly mistake.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hope someone can shed some light for me. I suspect that I didn't want myself to pass the test subconsciously. I am not dangerous driving or anything... I just make one mistake during the test that I have never done in my lesson.

1st failure: I wasn't ready. (only had 25 lessons and had a Xmas break before the test). Whilst leaving the test centre by turning right to join the road, I pulled out and the examiner jumped on the break. I still questioned this though as I believed it was quite a distance for another car to catch me up. The examiner said me pulling off caused another to slow down, major fault (7 minors). With that failure from the beginning, he still asked me to finish the test as usual with emergency stop and hill start..

2nd failure: Same examiner, and I failed to do parallel parking (nerve got the better of me).

3rd failure: Same examiner, I was hoping to pass and he informed that I failed because I didn't check my left mirror when I take an exit at the roundabout. Saying I did it twice and still turned into a major fault. My instructor was really surprise because I was really good with observations in my lesson.

4th failure: Same examiner, had my instructor sitting in the back. My driving was good, though failed due to meeting clearance. There was a coach parked on my side, and the road was clear when I approached. When we were approaching the coach, one BMW turned left onto my road (without pausing at give way and drove quite fast). Too late for me to pull back so I slowed down lots and stopped for the BMW pass through. Really gutted , my instructor said it was really harsh decision.

My partner said it seemed like the examiner was taking the piss. I know that examiners don't tend to remember the candidate, but he recognised me. I booked my first test with Dr title (just a habit as I have been to lots of conferences/events that it's advisable to have this title). From 2nd test, I removed it and he called me Dr on the 3rd test.

5th failure: Change the driving test centre, had 3 more lessons before the test to get to know the area. My driving was really good and I failed for giving way for the right coming traffic. I stopped for traffic light with hand break on and wave at the right traffic. I've never done that in any lesson, there was a thought popped up in my head and I thought I acted as considerate driver, give way to others like I observed other drivers were doing (when I sit in the car with my partner/ colleagues who's been driving >20 years)

6th failure today: On the way to the test centre, my instructor was telling me to look out for one way street, position when turning right. There were a good number of one way street around the test centre, so it's good to bear that in mind. Didn't see any sign but the road was really tight, car parked on two side of the road, just enough space for one car passing through and suddenly the thought of one way street popped into my head, I might miss the sign because I was trying to look out for coming cars to give way and none. You know the result, I was on the right lane to turn right (really quickly though, just when I move through the central line, the examiner said you needs to be on the left hand side road. Bang ... Again, never made this mistake in lesson

Sorry for the long rant but I am shattered (((. The two examiners I had at the new test centre said that I could drive really well, I just need to focus. My instructor (had him in the car on 5th and 6th test) told me I would not need any more lesson, I deserve to pass and he's so gutted for me.

I know I might be near there...I would not giving up but do you think I should take a break from taking exam, maybe doing it around spring next year?

Thank you for reading, I'd really appreciate your advice.

@For any "1st time pass" guy wanna show off, I don't think I am an idiot or don't deserve to be in the road. I am fluent in 3 languages, did my Master in one subject got 1st class (not in my native language) then PhD in another subject and in English (I only studied English for 3 months to gain IELTS 6.5 and got funding). I'm good at my job and got promoted to become a really young manager with good earning. I just want to have my driving license so I can commute and later drive my kids (that I am planning to have) safely to places.

I feel really unhappy with my very first and constant failing. I never fail in any exam (theory test was 100% with one night reading highway code).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to give people here your life resume.

If I were you I wouldn't take a break. You would be surprised by what you might forget.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed today, on the way back to the centre, two streets before it, sharp and narrow left, not been there before.Cars behind me and I thought so sharp this left and so narrow ill take it in first Gear, cluth was not down all the way so I stalled and car had to go around me. although I did observations after, I think because I obstructed traffic I failed. 4 minors apart from this. I had nicest examiner ever , he said he is more disappointed then me. I did emergency stop and reverse corner too today. I just hope for a good examiner next time. I was surprised how many places AE went within that 40 mins.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx-Samantha-xx)
    i've gone back over it and re-wrote it.

With the junction apparently i was too fast even though i crawled and looked both ways was clear and then went as it was a give way not a stop sign.
    That's much more clear

It's understandable that examiners (and any experienced driver) feel twitchy when novice drivers pull out of junctions really quickly without really having had a proper look. Approach speed (and control) can play a part in this, but effective observation is what really matters. Let's look again at what you said:
    not giving myself enough time to look on a restricted view cross-road which is where he put the major
    If the view is restricted, you must take extra care, check and double check that the way is clear before you pull out. How much you slow depends on the junction and the view, but some junctions are so bad that it's necessary to stop completely to take proper effective observation both ways, even if there isn't a stop sign.

Controlling the car is paramount to give you the needed time to observe carefully. If you approached in a particular gear with the clutch up, then the car engine is lurching you out into possible danger while you've barely time to check if the way is clear. If this was the case, the examiner will have felt very nervous about your "glance, glance, go!" approach to the situation. This would make me nervous too, as if a car had been coming the other way, it would be very difficult to take evasive action. This is something I've experienced even though the candidate thinks they've slowed down enough.

If the view is particularly bad in any direction, it is best to select first gear and keep the clutch down while you roll into the best position to see properly.

The other statement that concerns me is this:
    even though if i'd gone any slower he probably would have got me for undue hesitation.
    This makes it sound like you were placed in a no-win situation, which is simply not true. Every situation has its variables and involves a few decisions. Some of these decisions are win/win, some are win/lose. The examiner uses his discretion to determine whether your decision was right or wrong, and if wrong, by how much. In the situation where you failed for emerging too suddenly / quickly / uncontrollably, it is not true to suggest that you would fail for hesitation. Stopping may have been the correct thing to do in that instance. A more open junction, on the other hand, would make stopping the wrong thing to do, in which case a confident rolling emerge (at a suitable speed and gear with all proper observations) will be what the examiner is looking for.

There is a world of difference between necessary hesitation and undue hesitation. Only the latter is a fault.

Sometimes, even driving instructors don't understand these variables, so when they experience a fail for one reason / circumstance, they implement a blanket policy of teaching their students the opposite. In some cases, this may work out, but sadly not in others, which leads to their somewhat unprofessional throwaway comments about "being stitched up".
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    That's much more clear

It's understandable that examiners (and any experienced driver) feel twitchy when novice drivers pull out of junctions really quickly without really having had a proper look. Approach speed (and control) can play a part in this, but effective observation is what really matters. Let's look again at what you said:
    If the view is restricted, you must take extra care, check and double check that the way is clear before you pull out. How much you slow depends on the junction and the view, but some junctions are so bad that it's necessary to stop completely to take proper effective observation both ways, even if there isn't a stop sign.

Controlling the car is paramount to give you the needed time to observe carefully. If you approached in a particular gear with the clutch up, then the car engine is lurching you out into possible danger while you've barely time to check if the way is clear. If this was the case, the examiner will have felt very nervous about your "glance, glance, go!" approach to the situation. This would make me nervous too, as if a car had been coming the other way, it would be very difficult to take evasive action. This is something I've experienced even though the candidate thinks they've slowed down enough.

If the view is particularly bad in any direction, it is best to select first gear and keep the clutch down while you roll into the best position to see properly.

The other statement that concerns me is this:
    This makes it sound like you were placed in a no-win situation, which is simply not true. Every situation has its variables and involves a few decisions. Some of these decisions are win/win, some are win/lose. The examiner uses his discretion to determine whether your decision was right or wrong, and if wrong, by how much. In the situation where you failed for emerging too suddenly / quickly / uncontrollably, it is not true to suggest that you would fail for hesitation. Stopping may have been the correct thing to do in that instance. A more open junction, on the other hand, would make stopping the wrong thing to do, in which case a confident rolling emerge (at a suitable speed and gear with all proper observations) will be what the examiner is looking for.

There is a world of difference between necessary hesitation and undue hesitation. Only the latter is a fault.

Sometimes, even driving instructors don't understand these variables, so when they experience a fail for one reason / circumstance, they implement a blanket policy of teaching their students the opposite. In some cases, this may work out, but sadly not in others, which leads to their somewhat unprofessional throwaway comments about "being stitched up".
    Thank you for all that advice

The view was restricted on the left but not the right, i felt i had slowed down enough as i was in first gear for that junction and felt i could go because i had looked and listened but alas it's down to the examiner at the end of the day and all i can do now it retake the test, it's a shame that the next one isn't until the start of November as i've had my car sat outside my house since july and only going out in it briefly a few times its starting to annoy me. Ahh well thanks again for the advice i will take into account the next time i am out and on my test.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Failed today. I did a perfect drive an hour before and I didn't think I was nervous - I was the chattiest in the waiting room and another instructor sitting there commented on how confident I seemed! The. The examiner came and I thought he looked the least friendly if I am being honest but anyway. Did the show me tell me's alright but coming out of the test centre I stalled twice on the pavement just as I was coming out of it. That knocked my confidence flat for the rest of the test as I was convinced I failed - and I had, that was my first major. Second one was for driving too close to a parked car. Sooooo annoyed. I stalled because I didn't use gas or at least not enough gas when leaving the centre as it's quite bumpy getting out. Eughhhh awful experience.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Passed on the 2nd attempt today i'm so happy. Top tip as my last test on the 4th of September was a disaster, this time I was Bach Rescue Remedy'd up I started taking it a week of so after I failed first time and every hour or so before my driving lessons. Today I woke up at 8:30 took 4 drops to get it in my system, about 6/8 more drops at 9:50am. Went for my hour practice before my 11:19 test, had a few more drops around 11:10. It definitely helps for your nerves.

I had a female this time and although the actual test wasn't perfect it was safe and she was happy enough to pass me, which is a relief because like you it's very expensive if you keep failing when you know you can drive.

Go spend £2.99 right now to save £100

Although my time on this thread was short it helped me a lot over this month... : )

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2014
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.