The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shorty94
Trying to make the test shorter by taking ages won't work, you have to be on the road and driving for a certain amount of time.

No that's not true. My instructor actually told me that when the examiner at the start asks if you have any questions, that you can waste time by asking them to explain what you already know. I remember one time all the examiners were like 5-10 mins late, and the instructors were like 'ahh at least you get less time on the road'.
That was the fist time I did my test, on my second test the examiner actually said to me 'I trust your instructor has explained everything to you we don't want to waste time with questions'.

They have a strict time schedule to stick to and they don't want continuous roll overs into each test slot.

Having said that, I'd advise against asking questions. Personally I didn't ask any because I'd rather just get going, it would've just wound me up I think. I also think they'd be able to tell that you're deliberately stalling actually driving, and it might make you appear less confident which might affect their judgement.
Original post by Minecraft27
I feel like crying.

Today I went driving and I had an appalling drive. First, at a roundabout, there were cars coming and I just didn't stop until I was halfway over the give way line.
And then at a crossroads I cut someone up because I went when I didn't have priority. Two absolutely enormous and stupid mistakes.

I thought I was better than this, as I have been learning for 8 months now. Absolutely gutted I had such a bad drive today. There was no reason for any of those things to happen. Not to mention my "passenger" was totally freaking out when I did these things.

I was on such a high. Now my confidence is almost as low as it was when I had five bad lessons in a row back in December-January.

The only positive I can think of about this is that it wasn't my test.

They are common mistakes even drivers who have passed their tests do! Don't let it affect you.
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I got chucked off driving lessons for being so bad. At least you've reached the testing stage :smile:

What?!? I think we need to hear more on this :tongue:
Original post by mcgreevy1993
What?!? I think we need to hear more on this :tongue:

Haha, I essentially have no skills of spatial awareness. It wasn't the driving instructor's fault, she gets most people through their test first time. Maybe she was scared I'd bring her average down.

Some highlights of my lessons:
I almost killed 8 geese
We spent 15 on left and right turns.
I accidentally went out of a junction in 4th gear. The burning smell never quite left the car after that.
My record for stalling in one hour long lesson was 27. :party::party:

I think the geese were the final straw... It's not my fault I mixed up the brake and the accelerator while she was looking for her phone! And who herds geese in a residential area? And lets them cross the road when a car's coming? Admittedly, the natural reaction should have been to brake, but I stand by my decision to scream, take my hands off the wheel and cover my eyes. Unfortunately she didn't see things quite the same way and chucked me out on the spot. Apparently I was 'impossible to teach' and 'unable to learn' and 'a danger on the roads'. Her nerves couldn't stand it.
Need to start up lessons again, but with a different instructor. Haven't driven since November...
Just a little advice from someone who has passed after failing three times before. I found that chewing gum throughout the test helped, you can buy remedy gum or pastilles from boots/ superdrugs which relaxes you. I think it worked for me. My instructor's car just sorta stopped working during my test when i was at the traffic lights trying to pull away. The road was a 40 mph zone and the engine didn't start for 30-45 seconds. I thought I accidentally stalled it at first but then realised it was the car. It was a bit scary with cars honking at you during your test, but I just remained calm. Genuinely thought I failed even though it wasn't my fault.
Small talk with the examiner seemed to help with the situation as well, get on their good side and they might be more lenient with your mistakes. I did an awful reverse park in my test (I didn't hit the curb, but I just lost track with how much steering I did) and I didn't even get a minor for it. Hope my advice helps and good luck in everybody's next test :smile:
Anyone here ever made the car go BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR DONK
Anyone here ever made the car go BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR BR DONK

It happens if you go at like 4mph in second gear.
Hey guys, quick question, after my last failure I'm worrying about speed limits and what to do if you're unsure of it. For example, if i'm going through a 30mph zone and i'm unsure if its a 30 or a 40, would it be acceptable to go at 35mph? And can you really fail for going a few MPH too slow??
Original post by jazjazjazjaz
Hey guys, quick question, after my last failure I'm worrying about speed limits and what to do if you're unsure of it. For example, if i'm going through a 30mph zone and i'm unsure if its a 30 or a 40, would it be acceptable to go at 35mph? And can you really fail for going a few MPH too slow??

I went 35 in a 50 zone and only got 2 minors for it, but my examiner said if I had gotten 3 minors for it I would have failed as it is a repetitive error.

It's illegal to do 35 in a 30 zone, so you'd probably fail for that.
It's illegal to do 35 in a 30 zone, so you'd probably fail for that.

No, not necessarily, there is a leniency either way but i'm not sure how many mph it is. Obviously, if you're constantly going over the speed limit you will fail (which is what happened to me last time).
Wish I was posting in the other thread but I failed today with 6 minors and due to mounting the kerb during a parallel park. Absolutely gutted. I wasn't happy with my first attempt at the manoevre and so I had stupidly done it again. The examiner told me at the end I would have passed had I just left it at the first attempt. Oh well - next test booked, sadly it's not for another 6 weeks!
Original post by Y2J97
Wish I was posting in the other thread but I failed today with 6 minors and due to mounting the kerb during a parallel park. Absolutely gutted. I wasn't happy with my first attempt at the manoevre and so I had stupidly done it again. The examiner told me at the end I would have passed had I just left it at the first attempt. Oh well - next test booked, sadly it's not for another 6 weeks!

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I would have thought once the examiner would have stopped you after finishing the parallel park.

When I did the parallel park I wasn't happy with it and thought I was too close to the kerb and actually hit it but the examiner just said no to me asking if I could start again or change it and made me drive on
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Oh no I'm sorry to hear that :frown: I would have thought once the examiner would have stopped you after finishing the parallel park.

When I did the parallel park I wasn't happy with it and thought I was too close to the kerb and actually hit it but the examiner just said no to me asking if I could start again or change it and made me drive on

I wasn't very parallel the first time and got too confused with the hand movements. He let me go and carry on with a second attempt. There was a car coming the second time and I think that made me rush it.
Original post by Natalierm2707
I went 35 in a 50 zone and only got 2 minors for it, but my examiner said if I had gotten 3 minors for it I would have failed as it is a repetitive error.

I'm pretty sure more than three is a repetitive error.

I think you'd fail for going too slow if you're affecting someone elses driving.

So say for example you were doing 30 in a 40 zone but the road was dead quiet, you might get just a minor. But if you're doing 30 in a busier road and you force cars behind you to slow down or overtake then you'll probs fail.

I'm not 100% on that, but my driving instructor says that what in most cases causes a fail is if another driver on the road is affected by your mistake.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I think you'd fail for going too slow if you're affecting someone elses driving.

So say for example you were doing 30 in a 40 zone but the road was dead quiet, you might get just a minor. But if you're doing 30 in a busier road and you force cars behind you to slow down or overtake then you'll probs fail.

I'm not 100% on that, but my driving instructor says that what in most cases causes a fail is if another driver on the road is affected by your mistake.

Okay that makes sense. So basically try and keep up with other cars but be cautious. I also read that frequent lamp posts mean a 30 zone and that the law means that the government cant put frequent reminders like they do in 40+ zones. I just hate the feeling of driving down a road and being like '......what the f*** is the speed limit!!!'
Okay that makes sense. So basically try and keep up with other cars but be cautious. I also read that frequent lamp posts mean a 30 zone and that the law means that the government cant put frequent reminders like they do in 40+ zones. I just hate the feeling of driving down a road and being like '......what the f*** is the speed limit!!!'

My instructor told me this too :smile: I just stuck to 30 unless I saw a sign telling me otherwise but try to be really aware of speed signs around you or on the floor
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
My instructor told me this too :smile: I just stuck to 30 unless I saw a sign telling me otherwise but try to be really aware of speed signs around you or on the floor

I think that's just what I'm going to do if I'm unsure, unless it's obviously a dual carriageway or something :lol::lol:

Guna try and go into this one with a bit more of a plan than the others I think!

Latest

Trending

Trending