The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Failed my driving test yesterday for the second time. I got the most carless and stupid serious for control. I thought I was in first gear but I was actually in third and I kept on moving of and stalling then the examiner reminded me I was in third gear. SO upset I was so close to passing. What's worst is that my instructor is moving abroad so I'll have to look for a new instructor and get used to their car.
Original post by spookz
Failed my driving test yesterday for the second time. I got the most carless and stupid serious for control. I thought I was in first gear but I was actually in third and I kept on moving of and stalling then the examiner reminded me I was in third gear. SO upset I was so close to passing. What's worst is that my instructor is moving abroad so I'll have to look for a new instructor and get used to their car.

This sounds exactly like me, i failed my first test after accidentally going into third gear rather than first and kept stalling because of this, my second test was two months after (yesterday) and it was in a new car my Instructor had got (he moved companies) it also used a electrical button handbrake, rather than a traditional lever type one, and i hadn't drove since my last test. It was not looking good...
I got the hardest route , some crazy traffic and an emergency stop, my test must have taken 50 minutes but i passed, so happy knowing I'l never have to do lessons or a test again most likely :biggrin:
Sounds cool now when i say i passed my test in a car i had never driven before, best of luck to you, a silly mistake like we made is unlikely to happen again, you'l pass next time...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Antby11
This sounds exactly like me, i failed my first test after accidentally going into third gear rather than first and kept stalling because of this, my second test was two months after (yesterday) and it was in a new car my examiner had got (he moved companies) it also used a electrical button handbrake, rather than a traditional lever type one, and i hadn't drove since my last test. It was not looking good...
I got the hardest route , some crazy traffic and an emergency stop, my test must have taken 50 minutes but i passed, so happy knowing I'l never have to do lessons or a test again most likely :biggrin:
Sounds cool now when i say i passed my test in a car i had never driven before, best of luck to you, a silly mistake like we made is unlikely to happen again, you'l pass next time...

Thanks for the reassurance. I threw it away yesterday I got the easiest test route out of all of them bearing in mind my test center(Wood Green) has the 5th lowest pass rate in the UK. I literally brought it on myself.
I passed recently on my 4th go! Pretty tragic it took so long but so happy. Kept failing on different things every time. Keep at it though, it is a great feeling once it is all over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys i passed my driving test about a week ago and it makes you relax a lot, i passed on my 6th go and every time i failed i was angry because i knew i should of passed but something always happened which prevent me to pass but i finally passed and i am happy, my advice to all of you is not to give up and keep trying if you believe you need the license then you cannot give up, just think of the things you can do when you pass. For Example, drive anywhere you want any time you want, go out when ever you want, go out at any time you want and come back at any time you want, etc... after you pass you will feel a lot less stressed, just dont forget when you are in your driving test make sure you remember all the things your instructor told you and keep checking your mirrors, when you brake check your middle mirror before if you dont and the examiner sees it you will fail.
Good Luck to everyone

First Time - Terrible - 2 Majors 16 Minors - so much panic
Second Time - Much Better - 1 Major 10 Minors - When approaching the roundabout i was in the wronglane
Third Time - Same - 1 Major 8 Minors - Lane Change
Fourth Time - Better - 1 Major 6 Minors - Lane Change (i changed well but...)
Fifth Time - Really Good - 1 Major 2 Minors - I was behind a deilvery van with his hazard lights on.
Sixth Time - Passed - 6 Minors - :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Just had my second test, failed again :frown: Majors on speed (going over by 10mph) and not checking my blind spots moving away (WHAT!! I did this perfectly last time what an idiot I am).

This whole thing is soooo emotionally draining and is wrecking my confidence.. my nerves make me do stupid things on test but my instructor says I am a great driver. Already rebooked, so so tired of this. Really hope it's third time lucky :unsure: :frown:
Original post by nyancats
Just had my second test, failed again :frown: Majors on speed (going over by 10mph) and not checking my blind spots moving away (WHAT!! I did this perfectly last time what an idiot I am).

This whole thing is soooo emotionally draining and is wrecking my confidence.. my nerves make me do stupid things on test but my instructor says I am a great driver. Already rebooked, so so tired of this. Really hope it's third time lucky :unsure: :frown:

Well I'm sorry to hear that—hang in there, is what I must say. Best of luck to you. I bet it will be third time lucky, as you're unlikely to make those two mistakes next time. How long will it be now until your next go?

I personally just failed too. :tongue:

First go at it, and I got 7 driving faults and 2 serious faults. I'm not that gutted—less of the minor faults than I expected. I thought I'd failed it on the left-hand reverse (I hadn't—one small fault) and when the rain got really heavy I just blanked and forgot how to de-mist the windows. I do know how, but I've never actually had to do it. (I managed to pick up the other serious fault en route back to the test centre; I stopped at a green light, apparently!)

I think I'll be more confident next time at least. I just booked my next test as well for 23rd July.

:smile:
Original post by Skyf4ll
Well I'm sorry to hear that—hang in there, is what I must say. Best of luck to you. I bet it will be third time lucky, as you're unlikely to make those two mistakes next time. How long will it be now until your next go?

I personally just failed too. :tongue:

First go at it, and I got 7 driving faults and 2 serious faults. I'm not that gutted—less of the minor faults than I expected. I thought I'd failed it on the left-hand reverse (I hadn't—one small fault) and when the rain got really heavy I just blanked and forgot how to de-mist the windows. I do know how, but I've never actually had to do it. (I managed to pick up the other serious fault en route back to the test centre; I stopped at a green light, apparently!)

I think I'll be more confident next time at least. I just booked my next test as well for 23rd July.

:smile:

Oh no :frown: That's the thing - we know how to do things, but on test it's like you forget everything you know.

4 weeks until I can re-take it. I waited 5 weeks for my first one, 5 weeks for next one only to turn up and be told it's cancelled, 2 weeks for this one I just failed and now another 4. Make it end!! Need to pass. :frown:

I failed again for the second time today too. Honestly can't remember being so down about something. Was one stupid thing each time as well I really ca't believe I've failed twice. It feels annoying when you know you're a good driver. I drove to the test centre there and back with one of my parents fine as I did it in my own car but when it came to the test I just had one moment of a lapse in concentration and I'd knew Id failed.

Like you I'm emotinally drained and having people at work constantly asking if I've taken my test yet really doesn't help. Am not in the mood at all and I feel like just shouting back "shut up! If I'd passed me test you'd know! So stop asking!". So frustrating.
Original post by ajspurs
I failed again for the second time today too. Honestly can't remember being so down about something. Was one stupid thing each time as well I really ca't believe I've failed twice. It feels annoying when you know you're a good driver. I drove to the test centre there and back with one of my parents fine as I did it in my own car but when it came to the test I just had one moment of a lapse in concentration and I'd knew Id failed.

Like you I'm emotinally drained and having people at work constantly asking if I've taken my test yet really doesn't help. Am not in the mood at all and I feel like just shouting back "shut up! If I'd passed me test you'd know! So stop asking!". So frustrating.

Definitely agree. I've wasted £240 now as well. Very emotionally draining - feeling so anxious and then so upset afterwards. I just can't wait until it's over and he says "congratulations" x
Definitely agree. I've wasted £240 now as well. Very emotionally draining - feeling so anxious and then so upset afterwards. I just can't wait until it's over and he says "congratulations" x

Tell me about it, £120 for me so far. I feel very anxious when I'm about 3 or so days away but after you hear that "unfortunately this time...." the wave of disappointment is massive. I've never felt so demoralised after something for as long as I can rememeber.

The really annoying thing is that if I could retake the test tomorrow I feel really certain I'd pass but having to wait is so frustrating :frown:
Original post by ajspurs
Tell me about it, £120 for me so far. I feel very anxious when I'm about 3 or so days away but after you hear that "unfortunately this time...." the wave of disappointment is massive. I've never felt so demoralised after something for as long as I can rememeber.

The really annoying thing is that if I could retake the test tomorrow I feel really certain I'd pass but having to wait is so frustrating :frown:

Yeah that's the annoying thing - waiting to take your next one. 4 weeks for me :frown: If I could take it again tomorrow, with it fresh in my mind, I bet you I would pass. The waiting time SUCKS. "Unfortunately this time..." uhhhhhhhhhh worst three words :frown:
hey, does anyone here know if the Isleworth test centre require people to learn 'Bay parking'? My instructor hasn't taught me this and my test is this month :frown:
Yeah that's the annoying thing - waiting to take your next one. 4 weeks for me :frown: If I could take it again tomorrow, with it fresh in my mind, I bet you I would pass. The waiting time SUCKS. "Unfortunately this time..." uhhhhhhhhhh worst three words :frown:

It mat be 4 weeks for me too :frown: But leading up to this test just gone I saw quite a few cancellations so I'm hoping to see some this time around too. You should keep checking also and hopefully you'll see one sooner too. Each of my two times I've driven into the test centre thinking that I've probably failed. I can't wait until I can do that but thinking that I barely did anything wrong. Passing seems so far away for me now, it scares me that just one simple or small mistake can have me waiting another 4 weeks to try again *sighs*.
I just failed my first driving test, 3 majors and 10 minors :frown:
Urgh. Just failed my first driving test and what's worse - I thought I had passed. Felt super nervous and knew I'd made minors but...two majors and nine minors (half of which related to the 2 majors). Majors were - I pulled up without looking behind me (where there was a car), when instructed. And I didn't check right blind spot again when I mucked up a manoeuvre due to nerves. I think my instructor was very harsh re. the number of minors. But a fail is a fail - and a major is a fail.
Original post by bethkimb
I just failed my first driving test, 3 majors and 10 minors :frown:

Ouch! What were the 3 majors for?
I accidentally clipped the kerb, didn't look behind me enough in my parallel park and I approached a junction going into a road at 50mph in 1st gear but in my defence I've never been on that route before and I've never had a mock test either!
Original post by bethkimb
I accidentally clipped the kerb, didn't look behind me enough in my parallel park and I approached a junction going into a road at 50mph in 1st gear but in my defence I've never been on that route before and I've never had a mock test either!

50mph in 1st gear? How is that even possible?
Original post by Minecraft27
50mph in 1st gear? How is that even possible?

Oh no, I was approaching a junction and saw traffic so I changed down to 1st gear, and the road I was about to turn onto was a 50mph zone so I suppose my examiner thought I should've approached the junction in 2nd

Latest

Trending

Trending