The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nyancats
Ha I know that would be easier!! :biggrin:

And nooo, i've had him every time but we've done a different route every time. So I don't know what to expect really!

:biggrin:

Ah ok that's different to my test centre I think. Well I had the same person twice and went pretty much the exact same route. I'm pretty sure I would have passed previously had I had the same person as yesterday so hopefully you'll get someone different and nice too, aha. :smile:
Hi I would just like to ask has anyone failed on or gotten a minor fault for moving their hands to the bottom of the steering wheel?
For example for turn in the road I need to do full lock I like to do big sweeps, pulling my left hand from top to bottom at 6 o'clock position then back up to top with my right hand. Sorry if that sounds confusing but my recent instructor said you can only keep your hands on top half of steering wheel and cannot move your hand to the bottom as that would be considered a failure which to me sounds a bit ridiculous.
Original post by lovecupcakes
Hi I would just like to ask has anyone failed on or gotten a minor fault for moving their hands to the bottom of the steering wheel?
For example for turn in the road I need to do full lock I like to do big sweeps, pulling my left hand from top to bottom at 6 o'clock position then back up to top with my right hand. Sorry if that sounds confusing but my recent instructor said you can only keep your hands on top half of steering wheel and cannot move your hand to the bottom as that would be considered a failure which to me sounds a bit ridiculous.

As long as it doesn't affect your steering negatively the examiner won't mind how you steer I believe, for example- crossing your hands while steering won't give you a minor fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by libbygrace11
As long as it doesn't affect your steering negatively the examiner won't mind how you steer I believe, for example- crossing your hands while steering won't give you a minor fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the reply, it has put me at ease now!
Original post by lovecupcakes
Your instructor is talking crap. If you're using pull-push for a turn in the road, you should use big movements (from 12 to 6) with each hand so that you turn the wheel the maximum number of degrees with each movement, thus requiring fewer moves.
i failed by stalling
Reply 4906
Whens everyones tests? or re-tests? Good luck everyone - you will pass one day - i passed on like my 8th attempt ;/ but didn't give up which is the main thing.

You can do it BRUCEY, YOU CAN DO IT BRUCE! BRUCE BRUCE BRUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Argh, failed today because some dick tried to overtake me from the left on a roundabout and I changed lane. Got 2 minors as well. :frown:
Reply 4908
Hi all. I've got my driving test in 4 weeks, I'm doing the new test trial, this will be my first attempt. Any advice welcome x :redface:
Reply 4909
Hi guys, I have my test in 4 weeks! I'm doing the new test trial that's come in- and in nervous as hell already! Any advice welcome. I think it's the not knowing what to expect that makes me nervous x
What is in the new test? Is it just the sat nav part that is added?

My advice would be to do a few mock tests with your instructor and make it as realistic as possible. Ask then not to speak to you unless giving directions and to write down all your faults so you know sort of what to expect.
Keep an eye on mirrors and blind spots and just keep as calm and focused as you can!
Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minecraft27
How did your test go?

I passed with 2 minors! Massive surprise as I thought I had failed throughout the whole thing, I think that's why I passed because I sort of relaxed after thinking I hadn't got it ?? So strange!
Woohhoo, guys passed my driving test!!! Can't actually believe it!:biggrin:

What's the 'Applicants Declaration' thing at the bottom of the pass certificate ? It's got a space for you to sign and date ? Do I have to send it of to the DVSA by signing and dating it ?
Reply 4913
Hi tinker bell. It is using a sat nav first 20 mins of test, then 2 new manoeuvres and show and tell as u drive. Wish it would hurry up now, trying not to think about it too much but that's impossible. Thanks for the advice x
Reply 4914
I passed my third test today! The instructor gave me such a long and serious debriefing, that I thought I failed again! My main problem is that I break too late and need to slow down earlier. I had 8 minors.

On my second test, I failed because of hesitancy. I waited too long to enter an intersection. And while making a lane change, I went back into my lane because I thought the car was too close. 2 majors and 10 minors.

On my first test, I passed all the way up until entering the dmv, where I cut off a car and a person. 1 major and 8 minors.

Reading all this, I realize passing on the third time was for the best. Good luck to everyone!
Original post by BeanXx
Hi tinker bell. It is using a sat nav first 20 mins of test, then 2 new manoeuvres and show and tell as u drive. Wish it would hurry up now, trying not to think about it too much but that's impossible. Thanks for the advice x
I take it you're sure that you've been selected for the sat-nav test and not the control test (they're both part of the trial)?

If you're doing the sat-nav, it's worth bearing in mind that the 20 minute section could be anywhere and not necessarily at the beginning. That shouldn't be a problem, though.

Don't assume you're just learning 2 manoeuvres. You should still know how to do them all, which is useful for life. You'll be asked to perform one out of a possible four on a sat-nav test. You'd better check that your instructor knows that too; there's one that I know who didn't... :clap2:

Operating ancillary controls on the move should be something that ADIs have been teaching for years, but sadly many don't. Hopefully this requirement means that should change. Everybody driving a car should be able to operate controls without having to take their eyes off the road for more than a split second.. and without losing speed / veering all over the road. Practise with various controls in a safe place at a steady speed. Tip: cruise control is your friend :wink:
Reply 4916
Yes I'm def doing the trial I've had the email, I take the test in 4 weeks. Good luck with yours @Advisor. Thanks for the info myself and my instructor don't really know what to expect as had a brief email from Dvsa outlining the basic so nice to hear from someone else also doing it. What area are u in I'm in Weston x
Reply 4917
Also to add on their email it does say what's In the new trial does replace what's in the test at the moment though ur right as in u should still learn the old menouvers for future
i have my test in 16 hours I've done a ton of lessons as i kept failing the theory test (5 times) I'm no good with tests unless they're hands on so I'm really hoping I'm going to pass first time as I'm a career for my wife and would make her get out the house more
Reply 4919
Good luck @beepbeep

Latest

Trending

Trending