The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by orka
What did you fail your tests on? I doubt your instructor cares as he's making a ton of money from you.

Haha good point. Failed my last test for a really stupid mistake, I acknowledge that I definitely deserved to fail that one. Basically we were on our way back to the test centre, I was kind of rushing cos I just wanted to get back as soon as possible. Came to a roundabout, tried pulling out but there was a car coming on the right and the examiner had to hit the brakes.

He told me my driving was perfect apart from that, which gave me some confidence. He just said "You looked right at the car but you didn't stop." To be honest I'm glad it happened in the test and not once I had passed cause that would have been an accident, and I'm more conscious now.

Today I had a mock test with my examiner which didn't go too well though, and my test is in 10 days or so.
Original post by ukdriving
This is my first attempt. The driving examiner was very good at Hayes. Everything went well in the driving test which was taken at 13:25 until the reverse round the corner manoeuvre!!!!! Where i completely misjudged the reference point and went way outside of the kerb!!!
The driving examiner was so grateful that he asked if I want to correct, I may go ahead!!!. I did went little forward and upon reversing still could not come close to the kerb!!!! (I should have done more of the left steering while coming back atleast in the second chance)

Atlast he has no other go than to say you should have passed if not for the reverse round the corner maoeuvre!!! Apart from that i just had 4 minors only!!!!! (undue hesitation at roundabouts and steering control) :smile:)) sad...

Which roundabouts do you do in the hayes test centre?
Reply 4982
Original post by ThunderRock
Haha good point. Failed my last test for a really stupid mistake, I acknowledge that I definitely deserved to fail that one. Basically we were on our way back to the test centre, I was kind of rushing cos I just wanted to get back as soon as possible. Came to a roundabout, tried pulling out but there was a car coming on the right and the examiner had to hit the brakes.

He told me my driving was perfect apart from that, which gave me some confidence. He just said "You looked right at the car but you didn't stop." To be honest I'm glad it happened in the test and not once I had passed cause that would have been an accident, and I'm more conscious now.

Today I had a mock test with my examiner which didn't go too well though, and my test is in 10 days or so.

Yeah you shouldn't really feel bad for your instructor as you're paying him your hard earned cash. For me personally I got fed up of having to give a huge chunk out of my pay check to my instructor. I take it the whole learning to drive experience has been horrible for you? I hated every moment of it. When I passed I felt numb and was like 'oh whoop de doo I passed but looked how much money it cost me.'

I changed instructor and let me tell you it's not a good experience. You have to get used to a new car and a new instructor. And also they will have to spend time judging your driving. However I found a fantastic, positive instructor who never looked down at me and fixed all my driving problems quickly. The other one wanted me to fail and even had me booked into a test knowing I was going to fail.
Original post by orka
Yeah you shouldn't really feel bad for your instructor as you're paying him your hard earned cash. For me personally I got fed up of having to give a huge chunk out of my pay check to my instructor. I take it the whole learning to drive experience has been horrible for you? I hated every moment of it. When I passed I felt numb and was like 'oh whoop de doo I passed but looked how much money it cost me.'

I changed instructor and let me tell you it's not a good experience. You have to get used to a new car and a new instructor. And also they will have to spend time judging your driving. However I found a fantastic, positive instructor who never looked down at me and fixed all my driving problems quickly. The other one wanted me to fail and even had me booked into a test knowing I was going to fail.

I wouldn't say it's been horrible, more just tedious because I know I could pass if I stopped panicking and getting nervous on the day of the test, but due to my lack of sleep before each test I just think to myself "Okay I need to get through this however I can" and end up downing a red bull before the test. I've had 3 tests and the most sleep I've had before any of them is 2 hours, I just can't sleep before a driving test. Too nervous.

If you don't mind me asking, how many tests did you take? The instructor I'm with now is my 4th instructor, been taking lessons on and off for 3 years now! Took 1 test with my last instructor and got 11 minors and 2 majors, wasn't ready then. With my current instructor I've had 2 tests, between them only 3 minors and a major each unfortunately. I get along well with my current instructor which I feel is important but just feel bad for the poor guy. I guess you're right about the money thing though, I mean I am paying for it after all.
Reply 4984
Hi everyone!
I've just been reading over the posts on this thread and they're really helping me get a feel for why most people don't manage to pass the test. I've got my first on Thursday and I'm pretty nervous because I'm starting a new job the week after that and won't have any time for lessons or anything, so it'd be really great to pass now!
Does anyone have any general advice for calming nerves? And can someone talk me through what actually happens on test day?
Thanks guys! ☺️
Had my first driving test yesterday, I was ready and my instructor said I was great, I was as nervous as hell, I was doing the test the same time as someone else, she got the happy jolly test instructor and I got the one who looked like he had a slapped arse for a face... And very very intimidating! I got 6 minors 3 majors, 2 not exactly my fault and drivers on the road took advantage of me completely cutting me up and forcing me and my instructor to do emergency stops. Picked up a minor because I put my sun visor down while driving as the sun was in my eyes!!! Like what the hell!! Instructor wasn't from my town and was filling in for another, he took me to a very very busy section with road works where we were not supposed to be!! And during my independent driving he was giving me directions!! Over all completely gutted because I know I can do it.. Better luck next time.
Original post by Sammie21
Had my first driving test yesterday, I was ready and my instructor said I was great, I was as nervous as hell, I was doing the test the same time as someone else, she got the happy jolly test instructor and I got the one who looked like he had a slapped arse for a face... And very very intimidating! I got 6 minors 3 majors, 2 not exactly my fault and drivers on the road took advantage of me completely cutting me up and forcing me and my instructor to do emergency stops. Picked up a minor because I put my sun visor down while driving as the sun was in my eyes!!! Like what the hell!! Instructor wasn't from my town and was filling in for another, he took me to a very very busy section with road works where we were not supposed to be!! And during my independent driving he was giving me directions!! Over all completely gutted because I know I can do it.. Better luck next time.

Hello sorry to hear this! I actually had the same problem yesterday too...
I was ready but silly other drivers mistakes caused me problems!

The examiner that I had was horrible too...
Hope that it goes ok for you next time- do you have another test booked?
Original post by csea
Hi everyone!
I've just been reading over the posts on this thread and they're really helping me get a feel for why most people don't manage to pass the test. I've got my first on Thursday and I'm pretty nervous because I'm starting a new job the week after that and won't have any time for lessons or anything, so it'd be really great to pass now!
Does anyone have any general advice for calming nerves? And can someone talk me through what actually happens on test day?
Thanks guys! ☺️

Hi CSea

I tried everything to calm myself down before my test and I failed completely because my nerves got the better of me. The best thing really is make sure you have a good harty breakfast so your awake, have a marsbar before too to keep your sugars up, keep focused, try your best and just drive. The instructors are rather intimidating, ignore the fact they're in the car think of him/her as a talking satnav and keep alert when driving, because idiots on the road can take advantage of you, they did me, If in doubt hold back till its safe to carry on.

Best of luck hun x
Reply 4988
Hi CSea

I tried everything to calm myself down before my test and I failed completely because my nerves got the better of me. The best thing really is make sure you have a good harty breakfast so your awake, have a marsbar before too to keep your sugars up, keep focused, try your best and just drive. The instructors are rather intimidating, ignore the fact they're in the car think of him/her as a talking satnav and keep alert when driving, because idiots on the road can take advantage of you, they did me, If in doubt hold back till its safe to carry on.

Best of luck hun x

Aw, thanks for all that! It's really good advice and I agree totally. I actually managed to keep rather calm. I'll write what happened in another comment though haha. Thanks again!
Reply 4989
So I failed my first test today. Here is my story:

I was doing really really well. Not a step wrong (aside from one mirror check), and I was feeling quite confident. Was pretty sure I'd pass.

On the way back to the test centre, though, we went through a width restriction barrier and I clipped the wing mirror, failing instantly. The thing is, I had done the exact same thing (very out of character then) on a mock test a couple of days before because I was chatting about something on the radio. This time I had no excuse.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but I think my fail today was a self-sabotage. I knew that clipping the mirror would be an instant fail because this had been explained to me at length when it happened before. It was exactly the same width restriction, too. I think I got too close to passing and I got scared of what that meant (immediately driving alone, every day, to and from work).

Anyway, I just wanted to share this because I know I am a proficient driver and don't do anything wrong in lessons, but sometimes your subconscious takes over. Sometimes you don't really want the responsibility of being a qualified driver. Ain't nothing you can do about that!

I'm going to give it a while and try again when I'm more settled. All this has been a massive rush anyway as I'm moving away for my new job this weekend. I'm kind of glad I don't have to sort out car, insurance etw. now. I'll be back here when I'm due to take another test. Good luck to all on here, but don't worry if you're not mentally ready!

Peace. X
Unfortunately no there's waiting list of 2 months an I'm back at uni in a months time, I'm a little confused as to what I should do, do I rebook and travel back home for driving lessons before my test or do I give up and wait till I've finished uni in 3 years time? I'm so glad I've found this place though just knowing I'm not the only one who's had a tough run on their driving test x
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately no there's waiting list of 2 months an I'm back at uni in a months time, I'm a little confused as to what I should do, do I rebook and travel back home for driving lessons before my test or do I give up and wait till I've finished uni in 3 years time? I'm so glad I've found this place though just knowing I'm not the only one who's had a tough run on their driving test x

Surely you can find a new instructor and take some lessons in your uni town and take a test there

Posted from TSR Mobile
4th test in 3 days and I'm so nervous, I have no faith in myself. The last 2 tests went so well and I still failed, so I'm thinking that I will never get tests as good as those ones again. I am fine when driving in lessons but the tests make me feel physically sick, I am not sure whether to give up or not, and try again in a few years when I become a more confident person.
4th test in 3 days and I'm so nervous, I have no faith in myself. The last 2 tests went so well and I still failed, so I'm thinking that I will never get tests as good as those ones again. I am fine when driving in lessons but the tests make me feel physically sick, I am not sure whether to give up or not, and try again in a few years when I become a more confident person.

Don't give up!! You've spent all this time and money to learn so don't let it all be for nothing.

I know how you feel. I failed my first 3 tests. First 2 I thought went really well but managed to fail them. Try to calm down and think of it as a lesson. Have your instructor come with you and sit in the back if it will help. Keep as focused as you can but don't overthink.

Do you have any lessons before the test?
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Don't give up!! You've spent all this time and money to learn so don't let it all be for nothing.

I know how you feel. I failed my first 3 tests. First 2 I thought went really well but managed to fail them. Try to calm down and think of it as a lesson. Have your instructor come with you and sit in the back if it will help. Keep as focused as you can but don't overthink.

Do you have any lessons before the test?

Hey,

Yeah I had a lesson today and another on the morning of my test. I keep failing with only one major and only 1 or 2 minors which is rubbish -.- my fault though, no point in blaming the examiners haha! I feel like because the last 2 tests went quite well, this one is bound to go a bit awry.

What was different about your 4th test compared to the other 3, if you don't mind me asking? My sis has offered to pay for my next test if I mess this one up which makes me feel even worse, as I can't afford to keep taking tests like this.
Hey,

Yeah I had a lesson today and another on the morning of my test. I keep failing with only one major and only 1 or 2 minors which is rubbish -.- my fault though, no point in blaming the examiners haha! I feel like because the last 2 tests went quite well, this one is bound to go a bit awry.

What was different about your 4th test compared to the other 3, if you don't mind me asking? My sis has offered to pay for my next test if I mess this one up which makes me feel even worse, as I can't afford to keep taking tests like this.

I always failed with 1 major too, so frustrating!

For my fourth test, I had been insured on my Dad's car for 6 weeks before the test date. We went out for a couple hours each saturday and sunday and went through test routes and maneuvers. Usually I would stop driving until about 2 weeks before the test and have 1 a week. I really feel like that extra time on the road helped me a lot, even though I was already test ready. It just helped me to cope in different situations and practise things I failed before on.

The actual test was a bit of a mess though! Even the examiner said it was a messy drive and told me to look into pass plus. I nearly had a meltdown after my parallel park because I thought I heard the tyre hit the kerb and I was so close to it! After that I was in a worried state all the way back to the test centre.

I think keeping calm and focused is the main thing to helping you pass!
I really hope you pass, good luck! :smile:
Hey,

I know they are very expensive- especially if you have to take them again. Also emotionally quite nerve-wracking. They should make some new rules up, like you only fail if you get 2 majors! LOL it's so easy to get a fail if someone behind you is impatient and overtakes you- as soon as they see the learner sign on the top they get impatient anyway. Hm... what if during tests those signs were taken down? Maybe that may help?
Hyy guys,how much did you lot pay to your instructor on the test day to use his car and driving lesson before the test?
My instructor has asked me to pay £80 and I feel is outrageous.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mariagoretti
Hyy guys,how much did you lot pay to your instructor on the test day to use his car and driving lesson before the test?
My instructor has asked me to pay £80 and I feel is outrageous.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine only charged me 2 hours of normal lesson time. Therefore £42
Original post by Shorty94
Mine only charged me 2 hours of normal lesson time. Therefore £42

Hi,thanks for getting back to me.Now £42(2 hrs normal lesson)is reasonable amount to pay.
He mentioned something about insuring the examiners with regards to the amount he charged me.I was thinking the cost of the driving test covers for the examiner's insurance and all what not.
I'm very disturbed about this and my test is in a week.

Posted from TSR Mobile