The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hey, I have recently passed my test on the 23rd :biggrin: I decided to come to this to give you all a bit of help.

Firstly, I passed first time and with only 3 minors, I did a mock test with my instructor 2 days before and got 6 serious' and 8 minors, I honestly had no hope for passing my test.

My first tip is that if you are nervous on the day of the test (which anyone who is serious about driving probably is) is to keep moving before you get picked up by your instructor, what I mean is don't sit down and just watch TV, people may say it does work, as it will obviously for some but what worked for me was just walking around in circles getting a drink, tidying my room etc.

My second tip is something my instructor always told me to do, NEVER blame another person on the road or the examiner for your failure, just put your hands up and admit that you did something wrong, on my test I was sure I failed since I stalled on a hill start :colondollar:, I looked at the examiner and said "sorry, not enough gas was used then" he said at the end of the test that if I didn't say that to him then he would have gave me a serious, the reason he didn't is apparently because it was obvious that I knew what I had done wrong and I corrected it on my second attempt at the hill start so he just put it as a minor/Driving fault.

Finally, remember, no matter how good or bad your driving has been, it will not reflect on your test, I personally thought to myself "There is no reason why I cant pass, I just need to try to do the best driving I have ever done".

Thanks, I obviously don't understand how depressing it must be to fail your test so I am sorry if this sounded patrinising since I honestly just want to help people, I did that test once and hated every second of it.

:smile:
Original post by Spammich
I feel your pain!!!

i just went to pieces, i can drive perfectly normally ahhhh
Reply 102
Original post by flyhalf11

My second tip is something my instructor always told me to do, NEVER blame another person on the road or the examiner for your failure, just put your hands up and admit that you did something wrong, on my test I was sure I failed since I stalled on a hill start :colondollar:, I looked at the examiner and said "sorry, not enough gas was used then" he said at the end of the test that if I didn't say that to him then he would have gave me a serious, the reason he didn't is apparently because it was obvious that I knew what I had done wrong and I corrected it on my second attempt at the hill start so he just put it as a minor/Driving fault.

:smile:

I stalled on one of my hill starts too when I had sat at a busy junction for ages and lost my clutch bite. You don't have to say anything to the examiner. As long as you handbrake, neutral, check your mirrors and all that jazz it and don't affect any other road users it will only ever be a minor for control.
Failed my first test at the beginning of the month, my next test is on Wednesday aarghhh!
3 serious faults (2x zebra crossings, 1 speeding) and 4 minors :frown:

Can anyone recommend a good way of keeping calm? That's what seemed to be my problem - my legs were shaking so much the clutch was moving up and down haha, the whole thing was just horrible :frown: someone suggested rescue remedy, has anyone used this for driving? :smile:
Original post by LuciiAnna
Failed my first test at the beginning of the month, my next test is on Wednesday aarghhh!

Can anyone recommend a good way of keeping calm? That's what seemed to be my problem - my legs were shaking so much the clutch was moving up and down haha, the whole thing was just horrible :frown: someone suggested rescue remedy, has anyone used this for driving? :smile:

I passed in march and the main tip i would give is not to overthinkand take the test one step at a time. Think of it as just another driving lesson!

Good Luck!
Original post by LuciiAnna

I used it for my second test, and the two lessons before it. Personally, I found that it helped me to keep calm, and keep a clearer head. I failed my first test because of leg shaking - stalled repeatedly at a junction because I just couldn't keep the biting point.

Although I'd suggest testing it out in a lesson before your test, just to check that it doesn't have a negative effect on you.
Reply 106
Urghhh, so annoyed right now. Failed for the second time today. First time was 9 minors and a serious, which was because I stalled at a junction, had the nose of the car sticking out then pulled off too quickly when I restarted because I panicked - fair enough I deserved to fail for that.

On the other hand, today I had 7 minors, which I don't think I really deserved all of them and one serious for apparently not checking my left door mirror when changing lanes, even though I could have sworn that I did! I've had the same examiner twice and he seems like a right d**k. It felt like he was looking down at me the whole time waiting for mistakes to happen so he could fill in the paperwork and just sat there the whole time quietly so it felt really tense both times.

I feel like I drove ok both times, especially today and didn't deserve to get marked the way I did. I'm considering complaining about this guy because I feel I should have passed today and I'm not getting a job that I was offered conditionally on having a driving licence. This guy has cost me what will now be £200+ once I've re-booked that I don't really have and an £18k placement job for next year. What do you guys think? Should I make an appeal?
Original post by el1iot
Urghhh, so annoyed right now. Failed for the second time today. First time was 9 minors and a serious, which was because I stalled at a junction, had the nose of the car sticking out then pulled off too quickly when I restarted because I panicked - fair enough I deserved to fail for that.

On the other hand, today I had 7 minors, which I don't think I really deserved all of them and one serious for apparently not checking my left door mirror when changing lanes, even though I could have sworn that I did! I've had the same examiner twice and he seems like a right d**k. It felt like he was looking down at me the whole time waiting for mistakes to happen so he could fill in the paperwork and just sat there the whole time quietly so it felt really tense both times.

I feel like I drove ok both times, especially today and didn't deserve to get marked the way I did. I'm considering complaining about this guy because I feel I should have passed today and I'm not getting a job that I was offered conditionally on having a driving licence. This guy has cost me what will now be £200+ once I've re-booked that I don't really have and an £18k placement job for next year. What do you guys think? Should I make an appeal?

No, don't appeal. It'd be a waste of time. All you can do is get over it and forget about it, I'm afraid.
Reply 108
Original post by el1iot

As above. You can only appeal if the test was conducted incorrectly. You can't appeal on results alone, and even if you could, your results wouldn't change, you would simply get a free retest.
I just want to say thank you to everyone here! This thread (and the previous one of 10,000 posts @.@) gave me a lot of things to think about while taking my driving tests.

I've just passed now, but that's not why I want to post... I want to post about having failed four times previously (and not always for valid reasons...), and give advice to other people in that 'failed several times in a row' situation!

First of all!
If you go to a test centre where you feel like the examiner is marking faults for inaccurate or unexplained reasons, definitely ask your instructor to sit in with you next time. It took me until my fifth test to do this, because the test centres and instructors act as if it's normal for instructors to just wait at the test centre, and that they can't influence the exam, which is fair enough.

But... when the examiners are marking you unfairly, it makes a world of difference. In my case, suddenly the examiner was more than happy to explain where every single minor fault occurred, when an instructor was watching the whole thing from the back seat. When my instructor wasn't there, the examiner would claim things that didn't happen, add a few notches to their minor fault list at the very end of the test, and then give one nonsensical serious fault preventing me from passing. So... yeah, I know that in most test centres, the driving test should be fairly conducted, but if you're in one that genuinely invents reasons for you to fail... get your instructor to sit in with you!

With that out of the way, here's where I failed the first four times, so you can learn from my mistakes (and... learn what some examiners are like, too). ^^

1st test - I 'drove too slowly onto a roundabout'. The roundabout was clear, I slowed down 'too much' to about 10mph, to make sure there was nothing coming around the roundabout, and there wasn't.

The examiner said it was a serious fault, because if you go slowly onto a roundabout, any cars that do go onto the roundabout might have to slow down because of you... and I was 'just lucky' that there were no other vehicles anywhere near the roundabout. Naturally, this is the kind of thing where I disagreed with the result, but there wasn't much I could do about it...

2nd test - Another roundabout issue, this time I knew where I went wrong. It was huge five-exit roundabout with three lanes, and I was asked to take the fourth exit. I started in the middle lane (correctly), but you know how the lanes are only painted at set points in those roundabouts, and the parts in between are left blank? I drifted over to the left when going around the unpainted section, so I had technically gone into the left lane. It was my fault, but... for anyone reading this, make sure you stay in the middle of the unpainted parts of huge roundabouts, and don't drift a little to the left as you go around. ^^;

3rd test - Everything seemed to go flawlessly (from my perspective) on this one... and then, at the end, the examiner said "I'm sorry you didn't pass, you stopped checking your mirrors half way through the test, and you didn't look in the left mirror when changing lane, which is a serious fault". This one annoyed the heck out of me, because... well, frankly, I was checking the mirrors all the time. x.x

My instructor said that it was likely because I was exaggerating my mirror checks at the start of the test, and just turning my head to look in the mirrors later in the test, so the examiner thought that because I wasn't making blatantly obvious mirror checks like I started out, then I wasn't checking them at all. It sounds fair from my instructors point of view, who wasn't in the car for the test, but... because I knew that I was making very obvious mirror checks the entire time, it was actually complete nonsense for the examiner to claim that.

4th test - A really weird one. Everything seemed okayish (nerves on the day of course, especially after failing three times, twice for things that seemed a little weak), but during the test, it still seemed to go alright. When I got back to the centre, the examiner said "13 minor faults, one serious. The serious one is for having four undue hesitations". I asked "what about the other minor faults?", and the examiner said "uhhh you hesitated on a junction" and then got out of the car as quickly as possible and speedwalked back into the test centre. Looking on my sheet, I had minor fault ticks all over the place for... well, I honestly don't know. This was the point where I was completely fed up, and I asked my instructor if the examiners have failure quotas. They do.

5th test - I didn't take a single driving lesson between that last test, and this test, because I had taken so many lessons that I wasn't learning anything new at this point. I could drive fine on lessons, just seemed to fail every time on tests. So I just booked another test for a month's time, asked my instructor to sit in with me this time, and lo and behold... a pass, with three minor faults. ^.^ Plus, the examiner actually explained those minors, and for once, they were all accurate, and things that I agreed with. ^^

In conclusion, stick with it everyone, it'll work out eventually, and remember, having an instructor watching can change the attitude of the scummy 'fail quota' examiners!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 110
I have taken my driving test 3 times now. Soo annoying coz it's flipping expensive taking the test in my instructors car:l have recently insured my mums car and want to take my next 1 in that but it is bigger and older, which could make my manoeuvres harder:frown: so not sure what to do.. but it would be about a half of the price!!

The first and second times I was just a nervous wreck and was shaking as I got into the car.. didn't exactly help my driving performance! Made lots of stupid mistakes and felt like an idiot.
My 3rd test I was soo close.. got 7 minors.. the test had run over because of traffic and as I was driving back to the test centre I made 2 mistakes literally in the last 5 mins..1 was 'driving too close to the back of a lorry'.. which in my opinion should've been a minor and 2) I over took a cyclist as a car was going past on the other side of the road. Altho it may sound like I deserved a serious for that one.. I know that in real life driving anyone else would've done the same coz there was such a big gap with it being such a wide road D: I know it was my fault but it was more frustrating because the rest of the test had just gone soo well and I had quite a difficult route too.. grrrr just want to give up:frown: practically everyone else I know has passed!

Any words of wisdom or advice? Anyone else in my position? I have tired rescue remedy.. hasn't worked so far! xxx
Original post by Lumpkins
I have taken my driving test 3 times now. Soo annoying coz it's flipping expensive taking the test in my instructors car:l have recently insured my mums car and want to take my next 1 in that but it is bigger and older, which could make my manoeuvres harder:frown: so not sure what to do.. but it would be about a half of the price!!

The first and second times I was just a nervous wreck and was shaking as I got into the car.. didn't exactly help my driving performance! Made lots of stupid mistakes and felt like an idiot.
My 3rd test I was soo close.. got 7 minors.. the test had run over because of traffic and as I was driving back to the test centre I made 2 mistakes literally in the last 5 mins..1 was 'driving too close to the back of a lorry'.. which in my opinion should've been a minor and 2) I over took a cyclist as a car was going past on the other side of the road. Altho it may sound like I deserved a serious for that one.. I know that in real life driving anyone else would've done the same coz there was such a big gap with it being such a wide road D: I know it was my fault but it was more frustrating because the rest of the test had just gone soo well and I had quite a difficult route too.. grrrr just want to give up:frown: practically everyone else I know has passed!

Any words of wisdom or advice? Anyone else in my position? I have tired rescue remedy.. hasn't worked so far! xxx

Hi i just want to say don't give up. I passed 4th time today with 5 minors. Before this test i really felt like giving up. It is so expensive taking your test in the instructors car but it is better than taking it in a car that you are not used to. I was really really nervous today but whenever we stopped at the side of the road I took a deep breath and asked the examiner if I could take a moment to pull myself together which helped a lot with my nerves.
Just keep trying until you pass, don't give up. If I can pass so can you :biggrin:
Reply 112
Thankyouu:smile: I really hope I can pass 4th time too! Well done on passing:biggrin: it must be the hugest relief ever! :O It is just nice to know others are going through/ have been through the same!
Oh man I'm so down after today. i really wanted to pass. My first time. I think the guy was a bit harsh he gave me 13 minors and one major. I still wasn't sure what he wanted from the major. Basically soon as I overtook a big ass green truck I didn't move back into my lane straight away... I figured I'd wait for a while then move back to the left, but because some ass munch undertook me which is illegal that under the instructors eyes was a hazard created by me. Also he mentioned my observation but I'm pretty damn sure I looked at every mirror before I did anything but my confidence was definitely an issue I didn't speed up quickly enough.
I'm 28 and have had Generalized Social Anxiety for a long time and was nervous doing anything, let alone driving.
So F'ing bummed out right now, and gotta wait another month and pay another £100 or so for lessons as well as the test. Seriously want to punch somebody in the nuts right now.
Reply 114
i failed today first time with 3 minors and 1 major. only 3 minors! so bummed. stupid little mistake where i pulled out and didn't signal properly :frown: i think it was just nerves and that. so annoying though failing for a stupid mistake when the rest was so good. and effort going through all the nerves and waiting again. bleurgh.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];37806071']I used it for my second test, and the two lessons before it. Personally, I found that it helped me to keep calm, and keep a clearer head. I failed my first test because of leg shaking - stalled repeatedly at a junction because I just couldn't keep the biting point.

Although I'd suggest testing it out in a lesson before your test, just to check that it doesn't have a negative effect on you.

Original post by Pandit Bandit
I passed in march and the main tip i would give is not to overthinkand take the test one step at a time. Think of it as just another driving lesson!

Good Luck!

I had my test earlier and I passed! :smile: so thank you both very much it helped a lot! :smile:
Reply 116
Original post by ButteredToast
Oh man I'm so down after today. i really wanted to pass. My first time. I think the guy was a bit harsh he gave me 13 minors and one major. I still wasn't sure what he wanted from the major. Basically soon as I overtook a big ass green truck I didn't move back into my lane straight away... I figured I'd wait for a while then move back to the left, but because some ass munch undertook me which is illegal that under the instructors eyes was a hazard created by me. Also he mentioned my observation but I'm pretty damn sure I looked at every mirror before I did anything but my confidence was definitely an issue I didn't speed up quickly enough.
I'm 28 and have had Generalized Social Anxiety for a long time and was nervous doing anything, let alone driving.
So F'ing bummed out right now, and gotta wait another month and pay another £100 or so for lessons as well as the test. Seriously want to punch somebody in the nuts right now.

Not being harsh here, but just a couple of comments:

With 13 minors your examiner may have just been a little uneasy about your driving and was looking for something to mark you down on.

You should move into the left-most lane when it is clear. No one likes a lane hog. If there is space for you to be undertaken, there is more than enough space for you to move over. A little hesitation may have just been a minor, but if you sat in the outside lane long enough for someone to duck up the inside of you, I'm not surprised it turned into a major.

From the Highway Code (which you read for your theory test):

Lane discipline

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.
Original post by Oceanic
The number of females failing their driving test numerous times has started to reinforce my perception that women can't drive.

Well I passed first time with 3 minors, thanks.
Reply 118
@StarBunny

I'm also thinking about having my instructor sit in with me on my next test as I wasn't quite happy with the major I got on my first test. I just wanted to ask about how different is it having your instructor sit in with you. Does it make you more nervous and does the car drive differently with the extra weight in the back?
Original post by JemMills
@StarBunny

I'm also thinking about having my instructor sit in with me on my next test as I wasn't quite happy with the major I got on my first test. I just wanted to ask about how different is it having your instructor sit in with you. Does it make you more nervous and does the car drive differently with the extra weight in the back?

Depends on the size of the car, what will you be driving?

Latest

Trending

Trending