The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So glad I discovered this thread! I thought I was the only person feeling this frustrated!
Although I'm really glad my instructor had the great idea of doing mock tests - I failed three and passed two, then passed my real test first time.
I thought the nerves would kill me during my real test, but I knew I wasn't a bad driver so just battled through :smile:
Good luck everyone taking a test anytime soon! I'm also starting advanced training this summer so if anyone else is doing/has done this/wants advice I'd love a chat haha!
Reply 2
Original post by jd66
6th attempt tomorrow, taking it in my mum's battered old car because I couldn't be doing with paying for lessons any more and I've been out in it with my dad the past few weeks, its meant I've only had to fork out the money for the test so if I fail its not as bad, hopefully I'll pass this time. The passenger electric window stopped working today so hopefully that won't mess things up if the examiner tries to open it during the test.

Passed yesterday on my 6th attempt, was expecting him to say I'd failed again as I don't think I drove any better than some of the previous tests and did a couple of things that other examiners I'd had before would have failed me for. It was such a shock, you can do it guys, failing a few times first just makes it all the more sweeter when you finally pass. I'm also glad I didn't pass first time as I feel much safer on the road now I have passed for having the extra lessons and tests.
Original post by jd66
Passed yesterday on my 6th attempt, was expecting him to say I'd failed again as I don't think I drove any better than some of the previous tests and did a couple of things that other examiners I'd had before would have failed me for. It was such a shock, you can do it guys, failing a few times first just makes it all the more sweeter when you finally pass. I'm also glad I didn't pass first time as I feel much safer on the road now I have passed for having the extra lessons and tests.

Well done!!!

I passed my second time and when I got in my car, by myself, I felt that I really wasn't ready to drive on my own. I suppose I was since my instructor said I was ready for my test and then second time passed it.

It's just a really weird thing to get used to - not having someone beside you to tell you if you're doing things right/wrong. I feel confident now, though, but still learning.

It's true that the real learning begins once you pass your test. You have to be aware of other peoples mistakes as well as your own when your on the road alone.
(edited 11 years ago)
I bloody failed didn't i. First time. 15 Minors, two majors.

1 M for going up a high hilly road in the wrong gears, the car just wouldn't go and 2 for going straight around bend curves slowly.

I'm really cheesed of tbh. Angry with myself, i think next time i go for my test, i won't tell anyone.
Reply 5
Failed! 3 minors and 1 major :frown:

Some guy wasnt indicating on a roundabout and so I pulled out...

He then proceeded to come off the roundabout, how inconsiderate!

I couldn't be more annoyed..

Always next time i guess :frown:
I failed first time last week, booked it again for the 25th at 11:11am.
Failed with 7 minors and 3 serious :/
Reply 7
Failed for the third time today. I came to the test really positive, thinking that after all this time I would finally get my license (I started learning in 2009 and had to re-sit my theory test as it expired). Within the first 5 minutes the instructor told me to slow down as I was going 35ish on a 30mph road that I had presumed was 40mph. After that I was really disappointed and lost concentration, did a few shuffly gear changes and indicated late. Then I speeded again on a 30mph stretch which joined a national speed limit road. At the end I had 1 serious fault and 9 minors. SIGH. So frustrating as I know that I can drive a lot better than people I know who passed first time. I must have close to 150 driving hours now. Booked yet another test in 2 and a half weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I just passed second time around, two minors :smile: don't give up guys, it will happen!
Failed for the second time! :frown:
Reply 10
failed 2 serious and 13 minors!
my instructor was shocked said i never drive the way i did.... so nerves proper messed me up!

PROPER GUTTED!
I failed for the first time today, in the middle of reversing round the corner an ambulance (with sirens) came and I panicked and ended up on the pavement, other than that serious I had 1 minor, was rather annoyed!
Reply 12
paid for my licence, ahh the benefits of living in Africa
Reply 13
Hi has anyone taken a test at Chingford . During most of the test routes the examiner takes you to a double mini roundabout . You can make a major mistake there . I have tried finding it n google maps but couldnt . Can anyone please say a name of a road by that double mini roundabout so that I can look at it and be prepared for it ?? Please
Original post by Oceanic
The number of females failing their driving test numerous times has started to reinforce my perception that women can't drive.

except they get cheaper insurance than us :frown:
Original post by Oceanic
The number of females failing their driving test numerous times has started to reinforce my perception that women can't drive.

Mmm you're right :smile: Males pass first time every time. It's must be so sweet for you men being perfect awesome drivers :frown:

Original post by rugbyladosc
except they get cheaper insurance than us :frown:

No they don't.
ugh so i sat my first driving test yesterday and failed miserably. the funny thing is i went through the whole thing thinking it was going fine lol and i wasnt even nervous! i knew it was bad when the sweet old lady instructor turned pretty scary in the debrief! tbh i didnt understand alot of what they were saying as i just wanted to curl up and cry lol so im going to try and make sense of this bloody green sheet of failure.
ok so i think i got 9 minors and 5 serious. bad i know..
i got a minor for mucking up the gears on a roundabout, you know when i makes that horrible screeching noise, no idea what i was trying to do.
i didnt check my blind spot twice so she made it a serious.
i think i signalled the wrong way at one point but im sure i corrected it. however i got another serious...
two minors for use of speed.
a minor for appropriate speed.
3 minors for approaching junctions too fast which she made a serious. she used the phrase 'out of control' lol this was seriously such an exaggeration.
a serious for positioning, not sure what point i done this.
and a minor for awareness/planning.

honestly did not know i was THIS bad a driver, my instructor did have his doubts about me passing but i had a lot of pressure from my mum. i also had people telling me intructors sometimes hold you back from sitting the test because they want more money blah blah.
ohwell, think im just more sad about loosing over £100 quid. oh and telling my mum and that after was also horrific, i kept crying lmao. sorry about this rant!!
Reply 17
Failed my driving test on the 11th-

2 Minors- Gears
Minor- Safety on move off
Minor- Approach speed
Major- Change speed
Major- Observation

I was gutted but put in for it again, its on the 24th of this month!

Wish me luck!
Reply 18
Failed today. 6 minors, 1 major. :frown:

Original post by TWGC
Some guy wasnt indicating on a roundabout and so I pulled out...

My reason too :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Gales
Failed today. 6 minors, 1 major. :frown:

My reason too :frown:

But you didn't actually do anything wrong?