Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't connect computer to internet

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last night, the internet connection to my computer was fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. I turned my computer off and went to bed. When I woke up this morning and turned my computer on, there was no internet connection. I turned my computer back off and went to school. I came home, and the problem is still there. I tried unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable back in, I tried to connect it wirelessly, I turned the router on and off again but none of that worked. I'm currently using my dad's computer which is fine internet-wise, as is my mum's and my xbox. What can I do to try and fix this?

I also have some other questions. On my computer, a dial-up connection box constantly appears and has done since we got a new router. I don't know how to stop it, so how do I? Also since we got the new router, the old router is still appearing on the wireless connection list as well as for my phone's wifi, even though it's not plugged in. Is this unusual?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calanon)
    Last night, the internet connection to my computer was fine. Nothing wrong with it at all. I turned my computer off and went to bed. When I woke up this morning and turned my computer on, there was no internet connection. I turned my computer back off and went to school. I came home, and the problem is still there. I tried unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable back in, I tried to connect it wirelessly, I turned the router on and off again but none of that worked. I'm currently using my dad's computer which is fine internet-wise, as is my mum's and my xbox. What can I do to try and fix this?

I also have some other questions. On my computer, a dial-up connection box constantly appears and has done since we got a new router. I don't know how to stop it, so how do I? Also since we got the new router, the old router is still appearing on the wireless connection list as well as for my phone's wifi, even though it's not plugged in. Is this unusual?
    Is your computer managing to connect to the wireless network?

It could be that your computer has some old connection settings. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard, then press R. When the box comes up, type cmd and hit enter. When the Command Prompt comes up, type each of these commands followed by hitting the enter/return key:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew

Does it connect after that?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Is your computer managing to connect to the wireless network?

It could be that your computer has some old connection settings. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard, then press R. When the box comes up, type cmd and hit enter. When the Command Prompt comes up, type each of these commands followed by hitting the enter/return key:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew

Does it connect after that?
    It's connect it wirelessly, so I thank you for that, however it's still not working with the Ethernet cable.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's connect it wirelessly, so I thank you for that, however it's still not working with the Ethernet cable.
    do you have a spare WORKING cable you could use to check whether the one used right now is broken or not?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:

I think I know what your problem is ...... just follow the steps

-Open Internet Explorer
    -Click on tools in the menu bar
    -Go to internet options
    -Click on the connections tab on the top
    -Set the setting to "Never dial a connection"
    -Apply the settings

AND your done!! :jive:

Hope this helps... do tell me if it does and also (+1 if it did :ninja: )
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    do you have a spare WORKING cable you could use to check whether the one used right now is broken or not?
    Nope, only this one. :/

(Original post by Nikstar95)
    I think I know what your problem is ...... just follow the steps

-Open Internet Explorer
    -Click on tools in the menu bar
    -Go to internet options
    -Click on the connections tab on the top
    -Set the setting to "Never dial a connection"
    -Apply the settings

AND your done!! :jive:

Hope this helps... do tell me if it does and also (+1 if it did :ninja: )
    That worked to stop the box, thank you.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, only this one. :/

That worked to stop the box, thank you.

3 cheers for me :jive: :cheers: YAY!!!

u hav to rep me for the rest of your TSR life (or atleast the next 7 days ) :evilbanana:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.