Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My father gets annoyed when I go to interviews

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for jobs and have had a few interviews. Every time I get one, my father's attitude seems to turn and he gets very annoyed. He becomes very sullen, irritated and bored. It's even worse if he actually sees me going to or coming back from an interview. I mean, it wears off after a while, but it's every time.

I don't know why. He has a job and isn't applying for a different one, so it's not like it's jealousy that I get interviews and he doesn't. I don't ask him to take me to the interviews. I sometimes ask for advice on how to improve my answers (basically put, I'm **** because I don't do well at interpretting subtext, so I appreciate advice on what people are actually after when they ask about greatest strengths and a time I solved a problem and so forth), but I don't sit there dissecting them afterwards. I don't get all moody when I don't get the job.

I don't why he gets annoyed about me going to interviews. He denies it if I ask him. Any input? :confused:
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to confront your dad and ask him why he's behaving that way. Your not doing anything wrong, plus there's not much an internet forum can do in terms of thinking of reasons for your dad's behaviour. Just talk to him and hopefully get to the root cause of the issue
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R4INBOW)
    I think you need to confront your dad and ask him why he's behaving that way. Your not doing anything wrong, plus there's not much an internet forum can do in terms of thinking of reasons for your dad's behaviour. Just talk to him and hopefully get to the root cause of the issue
    Ideally, I would, but as I say he denies acting this way if actually asked, "Dad, why don't you like me going to interviews?" I know TSR can't give me the answer, but just any speculation because I'm baffled and I don't know why he's doing it.

I thought he would be pleased. My mother is, and they both encourage me to apply for jobs. Does he like seeing me fail for some reason? :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's lonely.. :emo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S23a)
    Maybe he's lonely.. :emo:
    He's at work every day, it's not like he's going to miss me!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes parents can have an issue with their little babies growing up. It seems silly, but people's minds work in mysterious ways. My mum started behaving weirdly when we went to college open evenings, and didn't seem interested at all. I confronted her about it and she said she felt like she was losing me (which is silly as it's not like I'm moving out, I'm just going to sixth form for god's sake!)

Your situation is a bit different though, but it might be vaguely similar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    punch him and say grow up you idiot
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wateva)
    punch him and say grow up you idiot
    Harsh...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ask your mum what she thinks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the only rational explanation is that he doesn't like the fact that you are growing up and flying the nest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I figured it out: apparently, he thought I was getting upset at not getting a job (bear in mind, nearly every person in my class has had at least one offer by now) and didn't want to dwell on it, so he didn't respond that much and tried to steer clear of the topic.

I got a job offer today and, when I told him, he beamed and congratulated me.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinson's_Crusade)
    Well, I figured it out: apparently, he thought I was getting upset at not getting a job (bear in mind, nearly every person in my class has had at least one offer by now) and didn't want to dwell on it, so he didn't respond that much and tried to steer clear of the topic.

I got a job offer today and, when I told him, he beamed and congratulated me.

Congratulations!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.