The Student Room Group

STRENGTH versus PREFERENCE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Giggy88
Wow, I was expecting the previous £3000ish it's been in England but free?! :biggrin:

But then again in countries like Germany its also free.. It's just England that has to try and do everything that Americans do. -.-

It has been free for years...well at least since my parents went to university. And is one of these 'untouchable Scottish principles' that Holyrood would walk over hot coals to protect. I don't mind it if it is sustainable through Scottish Government subsidy...but part of me probably would be in favour of a reasonable fee contribution or graduate tax especially towards the more expensive courses like medicine. After all...the majority of medical students could afford to (at least in my limited experience)

The contentious issue of course is that Scottish universities are also free to EU citizens...just not the to people from the rest of the UK. Something I believe may be changing.
It was free in England too before various neo-liberal ****wits came to power.
Reply 22
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
It has been free for years...well at least since my parents went to university. And is one of these 'untouchable Scottish principles' that Holyrood would walk over hot coals to protect. I don't mind it if it is sustainable through Scottish Government subsidy...but part of me probably would be in favour of a reasonable fee contribution or graduate tax especially towards the more expensive courses like medicine. After all...the majority of medical students could afford to (at least in my limited experience)

The contentious issue of course is that Scottish universities are also free to EU citizens...just not the to people from the rest of the UK. Something I believe may be changing.

I actually have a german passport, hence EU. :tongue: I'm not planning on applying to any of the scottish uni's as I can't imagine myself living so far away from home, but hypothetically would I have to pay any fees? I have done my A levels in England if that makes any difference..
Original post by Giggy88
I actually have a german passport, hence EU. :tongue: I'm not planning on applying to any of the scottish uni's as I can't imagine myself living so far away from home, but hypothetically would I have to pay any fees? I have done my A levels in England if that makes any difference..

I'm not 100% sure...but hypothetically no. Though I do think this situation is likely to change. Politicians are keen to balance things out...it is slightly ridiculous that you as a German passport holder wouldn't have to pay yet someone from England has to pay a small fortune.
Reply 24
I'm not 100% sure...but hypothetically no. Though I do think this situation is likely to change. Politicians are keen to balance things out...it is slightly ridiculous that you as a German passport holder wouldn't have to pay yet someone from England has to pay a small fortune.

Sorry saw this and thought I'd help try and explain why it's the case.

Politicians in the remainder of Britain are keen on this one issue, but it's a can of worms way beyond this one issue and they're not so keen on opening the can.

If the European Court of Justice were to rule as such in a case on tuition fees in Scotland for British students it would create a precedent for them to intervene in all cases of internal discrimination to which EU rules apply and would play absolute havoc with sovereignty issues.

Purely internal matters (ie. a national of country X, who resides in country X suing the government of country X) would suddenly be up for debate before the European Courts. Given the already hostile attitude to the EU in countries like Britain you can imagine the reaction if the ECJ started over ruling the Supreme Courts of member states on internal matters.

If Scotland became independent it's a different matter, but for the moment there's no sign of it changing, even though it is ridiculous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
For all the Scottish people out there, I found the choice of universities to be pretty simple. Like it or not, the financial burden is considerably lighter for Scottish people who choose to study at a Scottish university. Since only five universities offer medicine in Scotland, you simply need to discard the one you like the least...Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow, Edinburgh or St Andrews.

Yeah exactly. Somebody said to me recently that 95% of Scottish students now study in Scotland. These is kind of sad really because I would like to see a different part of the country, but there is no way I am going to get myself in £36,000 of additional debt for that privilege.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending