Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lying to psychiatrist

Announcements Posted on

.....so i did it, and got away with it amazingly!

Thing is i feel like absolute crap now. Im upset that I lied to someone - theres so much I should have said and to be honest I could have done with some help for it. But im not being diagnosed with anything else is an amazing feeling.

But im sure I can cope now, ive been told im normal and well. So very happy and relieved!

Thing is not being honest only hurts you. If you have admitted you would have liked the help and support then you should have taken it. It's for your personal benefit, I can understand if you were forced to attend the appointment then you may have been reluctant to share your feelings but from my experience of therapy it is non judgemental. I'm sure if you want to change your mind you would still be able to ring this psychiatrist and say you'd like to see them again and that you weren't totally honest first time round, I'm sure it happens a lot.

I understand sometimes having a diagnosis or a name for something doesn't help or make it go away but being diagnosed with a mental illness doesn't make you a terrible person either. I imagine the relief of being told you are 'fine' will be short lived until your find yourself struggling again. If you are ready and willing to reach out to someone then you should.

So ... did you have a question? Or did you just want a load of people to pile in and give you some attention?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    .....so i did it, and got away with it amazingly!
    "Got away with it?" Unless you're now going to go out and knife some people, you didn't exactly "get away with" anything. What do you think people are going to say to you? Congratulations?

.Thing is i feel like absolute crap now. / But im not being diagnosed with anything else is an amazing feeling.
    Wait ... what? You feel like absolute crap, but also feel amazing?

But im sure I can cope now, ive been told im normal and well. So very happy and relieved!
    You're implying that if you had told the truth, you would now be diagnosed with a mental illness, and that you've been cunning and crafty and wriggled your way out of it. I actually get the impression you were hoping you'd get diagnosed with a mental illness, and you're disappointed that you weren't. But you can't accept that, so you're convincing yourself that "if I'd have told them everything, they've had told me I'm ill". You're trying to act like an unwell person in denial, but you're trying too hard. Genuinely unwell people don't make attention-seeking posts on forums bragging about how they lied to a psychiatrist. :rolleyes:

This is the kind of answer you were hoping for, amirite?
    "You deserve the help, sweetie, you should go back and tell them the truth. *HUGS*"

So ... did you have a question? Or did you just want a load of people to pile in and give you some attention?

"Got away with it?" Unless you're now going to go out and knife some people, you didn't exactly "get away with" anything. What do you think people are going to say to you? Congratulations?

Wait ... what? You feel like absolute crap, but also feel amazing?

You're implying that if you had told the truth, you would now be diagnosed with a mental illness, and that you've been cunning and crafty and wriggled your way out of it. I actually get the impression you were hoping you'd get diagnosed with a mental illness, and you're disappointed that you weren't. But you can't accept that, so you're convincing yourself that "if I'd have told them everything, they've had told me I'm ill". You're trying to act like an unwell person in denial, but you're trying too hard. Genuinely unwell people don't make attention-seeking posts on forums bragging about how they lied to a psychiatrist. :rolleyes:

This is the kind of answer you were hoping for, amirite?
    "You deserve the help, sweetie, you should go back and tell them the truth. *HUGS*"

So firstly i was forced into going, by people who dont know anything about me or my past. Secondly in the past ive had major depressive episodes - i didnt tell the psychiatrist this because he didnt ask, so i didnt offer the information (he doesnt have my medical information). I lied to him because i dont want the tablets i dont want the talking i just dont trust anyone. Why should i? Trusting people isnt good, they are just out to get you, everyone is.

Ive had non-epileptic attacks aswell as the epilepsy which im ashamed of. I really wanted him to ask but he didnt, but if he didnt ask then its not significant. Therefore im well and its okay to have them, so its also okay for me to do what i am to cope.

I would have liked to know from people who have had non-epileptic attacks, but thats attention seeking right? I will just resort to my usual coping techniques.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    when i read this i genuinely thought 'well done' lol.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So firstly i was forced into going, by people who dont know anything about me or my past. Secondly in the past ive had major depressive episodes - i didnt tell the psychiatrist this because he didnt ask, so i didnt offer the information (he doesnt have my medical information). I lied to him because i dont want the tablets i dont want the talking i just dont trust anyone. Why should i? Trusting people isnt good, they are just out to get you, everyone is.
    I know that with things such as depression, you may not trust people, but your psychiatrist is here specifically to help you. By saying "I don't trust anyone", you're basically refusing to get better. I'm visiting a psychiatrist too, but I'm helping myself because I want to get better. The best thing you can do is help yourself by giving your psychiatrist all the information he needs to help you. I know you were forced to go there, but that's because people think you need help. Yes, they don't know your past, but they know your present state and presumably it's not good. Please put some trust into your psychiatrist, he's only here to help you. You also need to help yourself though, and it'll truly help you on the road to recovery.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm not sure what you hoped to achieve either by lying or by this thread. certainly i understand lying if you do not want to be misconstrued or your freedom curtailed in some way. but lying to avoid a diagnosis you know is probably appropriate so that you don't get help, and then bragging about it pointlessly? congratulations aren't really in order...
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you have cancer symptoms and you go lie to your GP, sure you will get to walk out with nothing being done but it will come back to haunt you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel 'normal' and well? I think you have to ask why you felt you had to lie and maybe approach your GP for support you thought you might need.

(Original post by darthgirlie)
    Do you feel 'normal' and well? I think you have to ask why you felt you had to lie and maybe approach your GP for support you thought you might need.

Ive been such an idiot.
    The psychiatrist has opened some very deep wounds, that ive been managing to suppress for lot of years. And now i cant im struggling to revise for my finals, i just cant bring myself to do any work.
    Im just crying all the time, i dont want to go out anymore, i cant face people. But im not allowed to feel this way. Im going to be qualified soon, thats why I lied and im not allowed to tell the truth.
    Ive had to lie to people about some physical things and ive made up some really great stories to cover for myself.
    Maybe im just a good liar and i deserve everything i get?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive been such an idiot.
    The psychiatrist has opened some very deep wounds, that ive been managing to suppress for lot of years. And now i cant im struggling to revise for my finals, i just cant bring myself to do any work.
    Im just crying all the time, i dont want to go out anymore, i cant face people. But im not allowed to feel this way. Im going to be qualified soon, thats why I lied and im not allowed to tell the truth.
    Ive had to lie to people about some physical things and ive made up some really great stories to cover for myself.
    I don't understand what you mean by the bolded sentence. No matter who you are, you're allowed to feel such thought, and you have the right to get help for it. Talking to someone, especially a psychiatrist since you have one, is your best bet. It's better than lying constantly, because lying can show fear.

And no, you don't deserve this. Everybody can do bad things, but that doesn't mean everyone deserves everything they get. I'll say it again: Please talk to your psychiatrist.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I lied to most psychologists I saw growing up. I ended up regretting it terribly. But I understand where you're coming from. It's hard facing the fact you're "different." Ha, recently someone called me "insane" to my face. It's always painful, but you have to face your fears.

Talk to your psychiatrist. It's the best thing you can do. Even if you feel great now, it's not guaranteed you'll feel great tomorrow. It's like coming off meds for a few days, the first 2-3 days you become more and more ecstatic, and then on the 4th day you suddenly have a huge mood drop and you feel like utter ****. It's best to keep it stable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ive been such an idiot.
    Sometimes psychiatrist don't realize the extent of what they are asking someone to talk about because they do the job day in, day out. I am only saying that as explanation rather than an excuse. They have a duty of care to protect you from harm and you're obviously really struggling to deal with what the appointment brought up for you. But actually further down the line WHEN you feel happier and dealt with some of the emotional trauma you've been through you can look back and say, that period of time was awful and i found it really difficult but actually its taken the weight of my shoulders a bit.

I can completely understand hiding the way you feel to the people close to you. But no you don't deserve everything you get, I'm sure some of the things you've been through are really unjust but the impression i get is that you're hiding away and pretending you're not unwell. You are allowed to be unwell Anonymous, just as much as you're allowed to have the flu and need people to take of you for a bit.

What are you training to become? Surely if you're struggling to study you need to ask yourself whether you're well enough to do the job you're training for. I understand you're concerns about not being able to complete your course but I think you need to ask the support systems at uni and your GP about getting some help with how you're feeling. I am sure its familiar grounds for you and they may be to help with special consideration for your exams. Ask for additional support, may be a counsellor, confiding in a close friend or a family member? It may surprise you how much the people around you care about you're well-being and they've probably noticed a change in your behaviour.

I really hope that you get the support you need and this post is helpful, sorry its so long , pm if you need it!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.