Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People's Lives Are Facebook

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 15-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, 20 years old...and I do have a facebook account. However I have previously deleted it in the past, only to realise it's like not owning a mobile phone. Plus I have a lot of old friends and friends from sport I compete in and random people tag me in pictures of me in my sport which is cool. However I do not like using facebook. I don't even fill out any information about myself let alone upload pictures other than a profile picture.

It really annoys me when people upload pictures of themselves everyday, or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. It seems that people live in a 'facebook' kind of way nowadays...where it almost matters more about how they appear on facebook than how they appear to us in real life. My friends are always updating statuses when they go out places, and take photos of what they're doing. I just keep away from all that and I am also really contemplating deleting my facebook again...if it wasnt for all the old friends from my sport and the pictures then I would delete it right away. I guess i'm just the one who is rebelling against the 'modern way of living'...I almost think I should have been born in another era!

What are your views on this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Good. We need people like you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why delete your facebook when you can just delete these people? :holmes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I deleted my account several months ago and haven't looked back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never had a Facebook account, never felt the need. :confused:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone hate facebook so much?!

It is a bit annoying if people are constantly on there - but then the ones that are annoying are the ones that post statuses about 'my life is ****' and post pictures and then say they look fat when they are only in their bra and pants or something. Its just entertainment, people need to stop making out like everyone who uses facebook takes it too seriously.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cue circular argument and typical predictable replies defending facebook.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be able to exist without a facebook account, but I don't have a proper phone (just an old nokia for calling parents etc) so it's useful for catching up with people and organising things. I think if I had a proper phone I wouldn't have facebook. I think it's a bit of an either/or situation. I prefer facebook though because it seems less anti-social. I don't walk around glued to a mobile; I have specific times of day when I check facebook.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im addicted. i cant go 20 minutes without checking my notifications. I wish i could just upsticks and leave t but all my pictures are on there and so will future ones. Invites to things are done soley on facebook.

Almost feel trapped by social stigma.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    Why delete your facebook when you can just delete these people? :holmes:
    Probably because he wants to know what they're up to. But I agree.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie9570)
    I've never had a Facebook account, never felt the need. :confused:
    That's cos you're not at university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. However, the annoying thing is how people use it not the site itself which is useful to connect with people. The drawbacks are numerous though.

For one, it panders to an idol system people are too weak to resist. The ego you can be, the image you can present- the possiblities are endless.

Its like your life as an OK! Magazine headline. Your 15 mintues of celebrity, your name in print, the banal minutiae of you life annouched in 24hour newsculture. It allows you too manafactur identity.

Its a haven for the narcissits and preys on the insecure. Your every move can be externally validated and your ego stroked by a 'like' even for the most trivial thing such as what you had for breakfast. An opputunity for the ordianry person to feel like a celebrity, where your every move is documented and commented on.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I upload the odd photo of a crazy night out and update my status 3-4 times a week and use it to keep in touch with friends and family. But what i don't get is some of my friends they update their status literally every 5 minutes. They seem to uplaod every aspect of their day to facebook and, frankly, i couldn't care whether they've just gotton out of bed or are eating bacon
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    what annoys me is when you go out it seems to revolve around facebook... like you go out for a good time, but then out come the camera... which is fine b/c i love photos for memories... but then they're like "oh tag me in that one but don't tag me in that one, oh take a pic of me doing this then put it on fb it'll be funny, take a pic of that balloon and tag me in it hahahahahahah"... and it just feels like these people didn't come out with you for enjoyment but to add to their facebook... it's just so sad.

like there is more to life than how you appear to be a social butterfly on fb... it just annoys me, i feel half of my friends are just facebook posers and i'm obviously involved in it too otherwise you are left out... urgh.. i just hate it.. i just keep fb minimal... it's just so public, you have NO IDEA who is looking at your profile! people don't seem to care about privacy...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACEdwards)
    I'm a guy, 20 years old...and I do have a facebook account. However I have previously deleted it in the past, only to realise it's like not owning a mobile phone. Plus I have a lot of old friends and friends from sport I compete in and random people tag me in pictures of me in my sport which is cool. However I do not like using facebook. I don't even fill out any information about myself let alone upload pictures other than a profile picture.

It really annoys me when people upload pictures of themselves everyday, or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. It seems that people live in a 'facebook' kind of way nowadays...where it almost matters more about how they appear on facebook than how they appear to us in real life. My friends are always updating statuses when they go out places, and take photos of what they're doing. I just keep away from all that and I am also really contemplating deleting my facebook again...if it wasnt for all the old friends from my sport and the pictures then I would delete it right away. I guess i'm just the one who is rebelling against the 'modern way of living'...I almost think I should have been born in another era!

I don't have a mobile atm lol, I just use teh interwebz :cool:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I "deleted" my facebook account a while back but it was never completely gone. I didn't feel the need to have it there.. especially when I've got bbm instead!

I've seen too much bitching, arguing and bullying on facebook and didn't see the fascination that some people have with it. My younger sisters friend who's 14 took an OD over cyber bullying on facebook, so personally I can't stand the thing.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

Nah, Twitter is my life, Facebook is so 2008
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm more or less exactly the same tbh.
    (Original post by GoingInsane)
    I agree. However, the annoying thing is how people use it not the site itself which is useful to connect with people. The drawbacks are numerous though.

For one, it panders to an idol system people are too weak to resist. The ego you can be, the image you can present- the possiblities are endless.

Its like your life as an OK! Magazine headline. Your 15 mintues of celebrity, your name in print, the banal minutiae of you life annouched in 24hour newsculture. It allows you too manafactur identity.

Its a haven for the narcissits and preys on the insecure. Your every move can be externally validated and your ego stroked by a 'like' even for the most trivial thing such as what you had for breakfast. An opputunity for the ordianry person to feel like a celebrity, where your every move is documented and commented on.
    That's what I hate most about facebook.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For me it is a great way of getting in touch with people and organising events, storing my pictures as memories etc. If someone is annoying on my news feed I simply don't read it or delete them. I don't spend 24/7 glued on it, I COULD live without I just don't want to because I find it a great way to keep in touch
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethan0x)
    I "deleted" my facebook account a while back but it was never completely gone. I didn't feel the need to have it there.. especially when I've got bbm instead!

I've seen too much bitching, arguing and bullying on facebook and didn't see the fascination that some people have with it. My younger sisters friend who's 14 took an OD over cyber bullying on facebook, so personally I can't stand the thing.
    I've never seen any cyber bullying on Facebook

Maybe it occurs at younger ages I dunno, I've only ever had it since I was 18

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.