Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

People's Lives Are Facebook

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciccina)
    But it does worry me. Ive heard some people say if you havent got facebook then youre a sociopathic and have no life. Insane.
    I think they have gotten it the wrong way around.

(Original post by ihearthomos)
    I recently read an article about employers in America asking interviewees to log in to their account and go through it with them, so they can get a better view of the candidate.

Before facebook it was unacceptable for people to request to know that much information about a person, but now it is accepted.
    What happens if you don't have it, you don't get the job?

(Original post by toddman10)
    in this generation if you don't have twitter or facebook people think you are not worth knowing.
    Guess maybe that depends what age you are and what your outlook on it is?

(Original post by zKlown)
    What I find odd about this "Facebook" society we seem to live in, is the whole "I must take a picture of everything" mentality...

It's like people wanna prove to people they're doing something with their lives or summet.
    Facebook posers and attention-seeking fakers.

Could you imagine going out with or being married to someone who is addicted to facebook and this behaviour you are talking about? The very thought of it makes me shudder.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use it to talk to people when I can't be bothered to text them, or I don't have their number or when I'm at my computer and don't want to waste texts. Apart from that I barely use it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What I find odd about this "Facebook" society we seem to live in, is the whole "I must take a picture of everything" mentality...

People taking pictures of food and saying "yum"... I mean, what?

Also, whenever I go clubbing or even out in general, it just seems like one giant photo opportunity, people everywhere just taking photos. I can understand taking one or two photos to look back on in time but 100+ photos of the same group of people posing? Seriously?

It's like people wanna prove to people they're doing something with their lives or summet.
    My sister has become a person like that, and it's extreme. It's like she's decided to become more facebook active and it's gone overboard. We were on holiday (the family) and she was ALWAYS taking pictures, asking parents to get on of us, taking pictures of the sidewalk, the view, a dog, the windows. When we got our appetizers and our father was about to take a bite, she said "WAIT. The drinks are coming and I want to take a photo of all of it". So we had to wait. She then giggled childishly as to have self-irony, "so geeky!", but it wasn't less annoying. The evening progressed like that. "Hold this drink in front of the sunset so I can get a shot". She's 27....

I mean I enjoy scrolling through nice albums from people's holidays, when some people are good photographers or they have cozy photos or whatever, it can be a pleasure to see. But when it gets to the point where the photo obsession is interfering with your ability to enjoy yourself, it's too much. I kind of want to say something to my sis, but don't know how to word it as she's so sensitive
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    My sister has become a person like that, and it's extreme. It's like she's decided to become more facebook active and it's gone overboard. We were on holiday (the family) and she was ALWAYS taking pictures, asking parents to get on of us, taking pictures of the sidewalk, the view, a dog, the windows. When we got our appetizers and our father was about to take a bite, she said "WAIT. The drinks are coming and I want to take a photo of all of it". So we had to wait. She then giggled childishly as to have self-irony, "so geeky!", but it wasn't less annoying. The evening progressed like that. "Hold this drink in front of the sunset so I can get a shot". She's 27....

I mean I enjoy scrolling through nice albums from people's holidays, when some people are good photographers or they have cozy photos or whatever, it can be a pleasure to see. But when it gets to the point where the photo obsession is interfering with your ability to enjoy yourself, it's too much. I kind of want to say something to my sis, but don't know how to word it as she's so sensitive
    I'd have to tell her to get a grip if she was my sister lol, I couldn't put up with that.

I honestly don't know where this whole culture of photos at every opportunity came from.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand endless baby pictures or KONY type things on there. I hate these kind of statuses....

Has just smashed the gym
    Is bored
    Loves my boy/girlfriend so much
    Single mums wishing themselves happy father's day

It is excellent for catching up with old friends that you'd have never been in contact with otherwise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Facebook...I don't hate that
    Annoying people on there....I don't like that
    Deleted my account...Because I got bored of that
    When I go Uni...I'll reactivate that

But I'm not a rapper...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    FB isn't even addicting right

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scumbaggio)
    Can't stand endless baby pictures or KONY type things on there. I hate these kind of statuses....

Has just smashed the gym
    Is bored
    Loves my boy/girlfriend so much
    Single mums wishing themselves happy father's day

It is excellent for catching up with old friends that you'd have never been in contact with otherwise.
    Lol, whenever I see this I'm like

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People's lives now are just digital records on computer servers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

People taking pictures of food and saying "yum"... I mean, what?

Also, whenever I go clubbing or even out in general, it just seems like one giant photo opportunity, people everywhere just taking photos. I can understand taking one or two photos to look back on in time but 100+ photos of the same group of people posing? Seriously?

What you said...I agree with that
    This post...I repped that

But I'm not a rapper...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have facebook and i go on it like 5 minutes every day, i only post a status every 3 weeks and upload photos i find interesting. Theres this one girl i'm friens with who literally posts when shes getting out of bed, getting dressed, cooking breakfast etc every day!! Honestly how empty must your life be to do something like that?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    Nothing to with facebook, but sometimes it is nice to have some decent holiday snaps so you have them to look back on.

The problem is the process of shooting them can sometimes become annoying regardless of it is for facebook or not - but when you look back some years later, it's often all you have left - either the photos or the memories.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recentley got it to keep in touch with a lot of people I know from college, and also my old friends from school. I don't really use it often but it is handy for events and generally see how everyone's doing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished Upper 6th and recently deactivated my Facebook and I much prefer not going on it (even if it is useful to speak to people on) but I'm concerned that I'll need to reactivate it when I go to uni, but then when I do it will look like I've got no friends because nobody will have put anything on my wall in months (since I had it deactivated for most of 2012).
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACEdwards)
    I'm a guy, 20 years old...and I do have a facebook account. However I have previously deleted it in the past, only to realise it's like not owning a mobile phone. Plus I have a lot of old friends and friends from sport I compete in and random people tag me in pictures of me in my sport which is cool. However I do not like using facebook. I don't even fill out any information about myself let alone upload pictures other than a profile picture.

It really annoys me when people upload pictures of themselves everyday, or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. It seems that people live in a 'facebook' kind of way nowadays...where it almost matters more about how they appear on facebook than how they appear to us in real life. My friends are always updating statuses when they go out places, and take photos of what they're doing. I just keep away from all that and I am also really contemplating deleting my facebook again...if it wasnt for all the old friends from my sport and the pictures then I would delete it right away. I guess i'm just the one who is rebelling against the 'modern way of living'...I almost think I should have been born in another era!

What are your views on this?
    this is it. I deleted my facebook years ago and won't be back. It's pretty much the narcissist's wet dream.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would really love to delete my facebook, but would lose all my old buddies

Some of them live here and abroad.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    People post one video and all of a sudden think they're social activists.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes!!! marry me?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    People post one video and all of a sudden think they're social activists.
    Lol, like the Kony thing

Loads of people posting videos saying "Stop Kony" and "We need to stop Kony". Oh really? And how are "we" going to do that? Post a link on your facebook wall, I'm sure that will stop it.

I also bet if you asked the majority of the people who posted **** about that Kony thing what they think about the situation now, they'd be like who? It's pathetic tbh.

Facebook is nothing but an egotistical tool that people try and use to feel better about themselves. (getting a "like" for posting a picture of their breakfast etc)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, like the Kony thing

Loads of people posting videos saying "Stop Kony" and "We need to stop Kony". Oh really? And how are "we" going to do that? Post a link on your facebook wall, I'm sure that will stop it.

I also bet if you asked the majority of the people who posted **** about that Kony thing what they think about the situation now, they'd be like who? It's pathetic tbh.

Facebook is nothing but an egotistical tool that people try and use to feel better about themselves. (getting a "like" for posting a picture of their breakfast etc)
    Or 'Like for a para' oh please, your just fishing for compliments. This is why I prefer Twitter more.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.