Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People's Lives Are Facebook

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    I've just finished Upper 6th and recently deactivated my Facebook and I much prefer not going on it (even if it is useful to speak to people on) but I'm concerned that I'll need to reactivate it when I go to uni, but then when I do it will look like I've got no friends because nobody will have put anything on my wall in months (since I had it deactivated for most of 2012).
    You could just make a new account for uni and tell people you wanted a fresh new account for uni.

But I'm not a rapper...
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    TBH TSR and Twitter is enough for me. Get all the entertainment and weird threads and trends we need. Don't need FB at all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people on here are negative about Facebook because they think being rebellious against the general accepted way of life makes them morally better. But Facebook is now a part of life. Whether people are deeply into it, or just lie on the fringes, Facebook connects somebody to someone or something in someway. And frankly everyone needs to accept it is a part of normality.

There was a time when the Internet as whole was considered in the same regard, yet it is now a vital part of everyday life.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    what annoys me is when you go out it seems to revolve around facebook... like you go out for a good time, but then out come the camera... which is fine b/c i love photos for memories... but then they're like "oh tag me in that one but don't tag me in that one, oh take a pic of me doing this then put it on fb it'll be funny, take a pic of that balloon and tag me in it hahahahahahah"... and it just feels like these people didn't come out with you for enjoyment but to add to their facebook... it's just so sad.

like there is more to life than how you appear to be a social butterfly on fb... it just annoys me, i feel half of my friends are just facebook posers and i'm obviously involved in it too otherwise you are left out... urgh.. i just hate it.. i just keep fb minimal... it's just so public, you have NO IDEA who is looking at your profile! people don't seem to care about privacy...
    - I agree.. completely. I swear I want to take photos and stuff but then my old friend used to keep asking me to take pictures of her and then she would pose and hold up a glass.. and it's like.. BUT THIS ISN'T REAL MEMORIES, THIS IS POSED... and then she'd be like "put it on facebook" or she'd be like "ewww do it again, do it again." >. I like taking photos but I wont do it to make your facebook look awesome sorry.

And then I remember I had this video from when I was small with her in it and then she was like "Oh upload that and tag me in it.. but don't tell people that I told you to tag me".. and then she pretends like she didn't tell me to upload and tag her in it by going "eww i look so gross". -_____-

I'm not your personal photographer.. :/. :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACEdwards)
    I'm a guy, 20 years old...and I do have a facebook account. However I have previously deleted it in the past, only to realise it's like not owning a mobile phone. Plus I have a lot of old friends and friends from sport I compete in and random people tag me in pictures of me in my sport which is cool. However I do not like using facebook. I don't even fill out any information about myself let alone upload pictures other than a profile picture.

It really annoys me when people upload pictures of themselves everyday, or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. It seems that people live in a 'facebook' kind of way nowadays...where it almost matters more about how they appear on facebook than how they appear to us in real life. My friends are always updating statuses when they go out places, and take photos of what they're doing. I just keep away from all that and I am also really contemplating deleting my facebook again...if it wasnt for all the old friends from my sport and the pictures then I would delete it right away. I guess i'm just the one who is rebelling against the 'modern way of living'...I almost think I should have been born in another era!

What are your views on this?
    So you're 'rebelling' against this way of living by being another sap on Facebook? A very hypocritical post. While I agree with what you are saying (I'm not on Facebook), I find it just as annoying when I hear people say "I'm on Facebook but I don't like it and don't do anything on it".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    That's cos you're not at university.
    im at uni, ain't got an account

i spend my free time feeding the ducks and tugging my hair

i also have lots of friends who i can feel if i like

This was posted to The Student Room on a Reebok trainer
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzznbass)
    People's lives now are just digital records on computer servers
    true story, bro.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. ...
    Yeah, haha. I find this really weird. It's even more so when they upload pictures of what they've been served in restaurants.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do use Facebook excessively, yet my decision to do so contradicts logic since all I see is pointless status updates, people attempting to compliment each other in stupid ways, constant photo uploading and poorly worded arguments.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    The thing I hate is the status updates like "like my status for a rate out of 10 on looks and personality" really? Then it gets 40 likes and I just think "why do you want someone who you barely know to rate you out of 10?
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy, 20 years old...and I do have a facebook account. However I have previously deleted it in the past, only to realise it's like not owning a mobile phone. Plus I have a lot of old friends and friends from sport I compete in and random people tag me in pictures of me in my sport which is cool. However I do not like using facebook. I don't even fill out any information about myself let alone upload pictures other than a profile picture.

It really annoys me when people upload pictures of themselves everyday, or pictures of the food they've just cooked etc. It seems that people live in a 'facebook' kind of way nowadays...where it almost matters more about how they appear on facebook than how they appear to us in real life. My friends are always updating statuses when they go out places, and take photos of what they're doing. I just keep away from all that and I am also really contemplating deleting my facebook again...if it wasnt for all the old friends from my sport and the pictures then I would delete it right away. I guess i'm just the one who is rebelling against the 'modern way of living'...I almost think I should have been born in another era!

I agree.

Some people need to be deported to Twitter/Tumblr/Instagram.

Some people need to get out more and just get a life.

Maybe you should do what I did - 'spring clean' your Facebook friends' list.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I agree.

Some people need to be deported to Twitter/Tumblr/Instagram.

Some people need to get out more and just get a life.

Maybe you should do what I did - 'spring clean' your Facebook friends' list.
    I don't like deleting people on Facebook, I prefer to just laugh at the stupid things people post on there.

Maybe I'm the one who needs to get a life looool
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethan0x)
    I "deleted" my facebook account a while back but it was never completely gone. I didn't feel the need to have it there.. especially when I've got bbm instead!

I've seen too much bitching, arguing and bullying on facebook and didn't see the fascination that some people have with it. My younger sisters friend who's 14 took an OD over cyber bullying on facebook, so personally I can't stand the thing.
    Omg! :zomg:

Is she okay?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    - I agree.. completely. I swear I want to take photos and stuff but then my old friend used to keep asking me to take pictures of her and then she would pose and hold up a glass.. and it's like.. BUT THIS ISN'T REAL MEMORIES, THIS IS POSED... and then she'd be like "put it on facebook" or she'd be like "ewww do it again, do it again." >. I like taking photos but I wont do it to make your facebook look awesome sorry.

And then I remember I had this video from when I was small with her in it and then she was like "Oh upload that and tag me in it.. but don't tell people that I told you to tag me".. and then she pretends like she didn't tell me to upload and tag her in it by going "eww i look so gross". -_____-

I'm not your personal photographer.. :/. :cool:
    i know i really like photos for memories... but when they take them for facebook, it isn't real memories that's exactly how i feel too... i also have a friend that REALLY annoys me when it comes to facebook... she always posts statuses to get likes, she will even make things up/lie/exaggerate to get likes... i was out with her and we saw this minor celeb (TV actor) and we didn't go up to them or anything... they just walked past (they were in a rush with small kids)... next time when i'm on facebook i see she's posted "OMG met *celeb* today he was sooooooo nice!!!"... then like 30+ likes or something... and i was just like... erm.. WHAT are you on?!?!? i just think it's so lame... she does stuff like this all the time... she wrote a status like this once when i was with her and i actually said "that didn't happen" to her and she just said "well THEY don't know that so it doesn't matter"... it' weird...
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i know i really like photos for memories... but when they take them for facebook, it isn't real memories that's exactly how i feel too... i also have a friend that REALLY annoys me when it comes to facebook... she always posts statuses to get likes, she will even make things up/lie/exaggerate to get likes... i was out with her and we saw this minor celeb (TV actor) and we didn't go up to them or anything... they just walked past (they were in a rush with small kids)... next time when i'm on facebook i see she's posted "OMG met *celeb* today he was sooooooo nice!!!"... then like 30+ likes or something... and i was just like... erm.. WHAT are you on?!?!? i just think it's so lame... she does stuff like this all the time... she wrote a status like this once when i was with her and i actually said "that didn't happen" to her and she just said "well THEY don't know that so it doesn't matter"... it' weird...
    Did you call her out on it? Should have, attention seekers SMH
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Did you call her out on it? Should have, attention seekers SMH
    no it was the next day when i saw and i am so used to her now i don't bother... i used to all the time but in the end i just feel pedantic... it just pisses me off... she is a good friend though, most people don't know she's doing it but i know her so well it's obvious.

i think she's a pathalogical liar... and she wonders why i never believe her...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous tbh. It's their own problem though if they feel the need to always update their status' and profiles with **** that no1curr about. Just let them get on with it. :closedeyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Awesome post and i totally agree, i don't really upload anything, i just have it so i can see every now and then what people that i have met in life are doing now lol

I wish i was born in the 70s or 80s so i couldve enjoyed the 90s
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have successfully disabled my Facebook account. It was taking up so much of my free time for what? I did nothing but read complaints and pointless stories about peoples lives day in day out, I don't care what people are doing, yet I was addicted.

So I have started my Facebook rehab. No Facebook for 30 days, which will hopefully kill the addiction.

I am on my 11th day and staying strong, I sometimes type it into the browser but then remember I'm staying off it! I'd really recommend a 30 day Facebook free period, I feel a lot better, happier even
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    So I have started my Facebook rehab. No Facebook for 30 days, which will hopefully kill the addiction.
    I did this in May (well, it was 31 days, but still...), and it's a really good thing to do. I felt a lot better without Facebook, and a lot of my problems just faded away (e.g. trying to impress others, getting jealous over the social lives of others). The time away really makes you think about it for a while (e.g. people are posting the most interesting parts of their lives, which is why people get jealous over other people on Facebook). Eventually, you just forget about it too!

Went back on it at the start of June. A lot of my problems were gone, but at times I just really hate it so I just talk to the people I want to talk to. Sometimes, I get overly judgemental about Facebook (e.g. people posting "OMG I HAVE NO PLANS MY LIFE SUCKS" yet they went out the night before and they're going out the night after!).

At the moment, I'm in a love/hate relationship with Instagram instead. People calling themselves "models"; people posting "OMG JUST WOKE UP" pics when they've clearly got clothes on, done their hair, and got makeup on if they're a girl; posting pics of yourself showering...these are just a few things that annoy me.

Mainly I should stop caring so much about the business of others :h:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.