Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hayfever help :/

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so this year my hayfever has been a lot worse than normal, and this is the time when the symptoms are mildest! I usually get hayfever from April to august and get symptoms of sneezing, eyes running, coughing and feeling breathless. I have an inhaler that doesn't help much but I'm seeing an asthma nurse tomorrow after bein advised to go by my gp so I should be able to sort that. I also take over the counter ceretizine which is working a lot less effectively than before, but that may be due to worse symptoms.
    I know I've left it too late this year to do anything much about it, and I have come to accept that when I get hayfever I will get, at most, three hours of sleep a night but I'm really struggling atm. I can't concentrate at sixth form or revise, all I want to do is sleep! My nose is so sore from and the sneezing and will not stop running which is stopping me from sleeping. I'm use to do exams with mild symptoms but really don't know what to do this year. I need good grades to get into uni. I spoke to my head of sixth form and she just said they'll try to seat me away from the window and I should hope there's a low pollen count that day!

I could do with some advice about what to do. I know it's my fault and I'm an idiot for mot going to the doctors but last year the tablets meant that only coughing was a problem and I know I'm not going to ever be able to get rid of that.

Lol, reading through that it sounds like a load of waffle with mo clear question, but please help? :/

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you seem convinced you can't do anything about it. Go back to your doctor and get them to prescribe you some other antihistamines. It's as simple as that, surely?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After many years of suffering, tons of tabs,eyes drops, acupuncture blah blah blah I stopped eating dairy foods especially cheese during the hay fever season I could not believe the improvement in my symptoms. I love cheese and look forward to a pizza soon as the summer is over but the distress of sore eyes, nose and ruined sleep ... I can wait.
    You should see an improvement within 24 hours watch out for dairy products hidden in packet food. Hope it works for you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joan1234)
    After many years of suffering, tons of tabs,eyes drops, acupuncture blah blah blah I stopped eating dairy foods especially cheese during the hay fever season I could not believe the improvement in my symptoms. I love cheese and look forward to a pizza soon as the summer is over but the distress of sore eyes, nose and ruined sleep ... I can wait.
    You should see an improvement within 24 hours watch out for dairy products hidden in packet food. Hope it works for you
    That actually might be good advice - my dad has a bad allergy to cats, and ages ago his doctor told him to cut down on dairy products (though it seems goat's milk/cheese are ok, no idea why though :L). I assume it's worked as he's still sticking with it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever used nose sprays? The tablets don't really do much for me (although they work for other allergies I have) but the nose spray changed my life tbh. I use beclometasone spray, you can get it cheaper from chemistdirect.co.uk but also at Boots etc. I use it twice a day as directed for the first few weeks once my hayfever starts and then usually I can cut down to 1 a day and then even less, I guess it builds up over time or something. It's been far more effective than any tablet I've used!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from hayfever, its pretty simple to cure, you don't have to put up with it. I take piriton syrup. Though you seem to suffer quite badly so I would recommend benadryl with is used and recommend by the Britsih Army
    Both of these are easy to get hold of from a local pharmacy for supermarket.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get hayfever a fair bit (and spend a lot of time outside) but I do find that every few years I have to change which type of anti-histamine I take... My body seems to build up an immuninicy to medications after a time.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to a doctor and ask them to prescribe you a different tablet/ medicine - I've found I've become 'used' to the over-the-counter tablets I used to buy, so went to the doctor who prescribed 'ceterizine hydrogenchloride' (spelling?). They may also be able to recommend nasal sprays.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    seek help from the doc immediately especially if it's affecting your sleep. there are certain more sedative antihistamines so that you can get a bit more sleep throughout the night. good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have pretty bad hayfever too, thankfully it doesn't affect my sleep though.
    My symptoms worsened a LOT last year and I went from prescribed Cetrizine Hydrochloride tablets (one a day) to some different antihistamine of a similar strength (one a day still) (I may have built up a tolerance), a nasal mild steroid spray called Flixonase (two sprays in each nostril per day) and Sodium Cromoglicate eye drops. You can buy these eye drops over the counter, and I'm amazed at how good they are, they stop my itchy, red, painful eyes within minutes.
    Ask your GP about different sorts of medication as well as different tablets maybe?
    Hope this helps and you feel better soon!
    From a fellow sufferer x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has suffered with extemely bad hayfever for most of my life, i definitely sympathise. Especially since for most of my life i was trying virtually every prescription hayfever drug to try and at least alleviate the symptoms.

Eventually nothing worked, i think it is mostly because my body built up an immunity to all of those prescription drugs and none of them really combatted the issue. I've found in recent years that more natural remedies help better than the drugs ever did. As stupid as that may sound, there is a certain logic behind nature helping to deal with problems caused by nature.

The best natural remedy for hayfever is local honey.
    I think the reason why this works, is by eating the honey produced by the bees in the area where you live, you are ingesting the pollen that is affecting you in a different form allowing your body to break it down and deal with it, which stops your body having such an adverse reaction to it when you breathe it in.
    getting hold of it however is the hard part. - you can probably find it at a local farmers market or if you find a wholefoods near you they could refer you to somewhere that has it or even carry it themselves.

edit: also taking a natural remedy means you avoid the side effects associated with the stronger medicines, and likely also means that you won't develop an immunity to antihistamines in case you need them in the future for other allergies. (not sure if the immunity thing is correct though but i found that over the years the medicines were less effective and i had to change them because of it)

hopefully this helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Todd)
    That actually might be good advice - my dad has a bad allergy to cats, and ages ago his doctor told him to cut down on dairy products (though it seems goat's milk/cheese are ok, no idea why though :L). I assume it's worked as he's still sticking with it
    Hello Todd I had allergy test before some one suggested I cut back on cheese etc and I reacted to the cat test but most violently to birch tree pollen. As leaving cheese out of your diet for 24 hours doesn't really take much effort and the improvement for me was quite dramatic, it seems worth a go.
    Best of luck hope it works for people who try.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 17, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.