The Student Room Group

Would you take this job?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
There should be some job in London. So many retail jobs and other nonsense in the food industry. Just apply for everything.
Reply 21
Original post by Mess.
You can't claim benefits before you are 18 can you?

You can but only under extreme circumstances.

(Basically because you are supposed to be in further education)
So really only something that is a valid reason for not going to college is a reason to claim...
Original post by chocolate buttons
I haven't actually been offered the job myself, it was on the job centre website and they are looking for a 16 - 24 year old Apprentice Administrator at a company that sells high end make up at a reduced price.

I'm struggling to find a job at the moment, although everyone else my age (17/18) seems to have at least some kind of job. :frown:

Tbh I would. It's valuable work experience and you get a qualification out of it. You can always quit down the line if you find a better offer.

In the Words of Muhammed Ali
"Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion"
Original post by Mess.
You can't claim benefits before you are 18 can you?

....oh yeah,that's true :P ive always found it a bit strange seeing as you can leave school and seek work at that age.
Reply 24
If this job was advertised in India, I would take it.
Reply 25
Original post by Mess.
I don't know what bus prices are like in other parts of the country (and I know the OP said there are no travel costs) but the bus for anyone over 16 in Liverpool is £2. You would have to work for about 3 hours just to take the bus in to the city centre and then come home, with having a couple of pennies spare for some sweets. Complete and utter waste of time.

As the OP clearly states no travel costs, why is your comment entirely about travel costs? Lacking imagination are we?

Original post by slylee
Get the experience, the ones who replied are most likely currently in uni and have no idea about the job market. It's better than no money at all and will give you a taste of real work.

Agreed if it is valuable experience. Not agreed if it is just a job. Those of us in uni do know about the job market as well you know... I get bored of hearing this.
Reply 26
Original post by M1011
As the OP clearly states no travel costs, why is your comment entirely about travel costs? Lacking imagination are we?

Agreed if it is valuable experience. Not agreed if it is just a job. Those of us in uni do know about the job market as well you know... I get bored of hearing this.

Are you a little bit dim? It was clearly just a way of expressing how ridiculously low the pay was in the job proposed in the OP...
Reply 27
Original post by Mess.
Are you a little bit dim? It was clearly just a way of expressing how ridiculously low the pay was in the job proposed in the OP...

Yes, I quite agree it is ludicrously low. But given practically the only piece of information given in the OP is that there would be no travel costs, I find it rather funny that you've chosen to demonstrate how low you believe the pay to be through... travel costs! Hence, lacking imagination.

I assure you I am not dim! :colondollar:
Personally I would not take the offer instead of spending valuable time earning such low pay will spend my time on something else.
If you need the experience it's better than working for nothing which a lot of people have to do to get their foot in the door

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending