Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Will there be a British Breivik?

Announcements Posted on
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you think? Will there be?

Something tells me that there may almost certainly be copycats who are anti-multiculturalism.

Nevertheless, it is important to know that Breivik is of course unique (as are we all) and this would mean that the British equivalent of Breivik will need to also have the great arrogance and execute an elaborate plan. For it to be successful and get the attention of the country (and Parliament), the British Breivik will need to make sure he isn't killed, he will need to have set reasons for why he killed, need to be fairly intelligent and have an entrenched fortitude and not crumble under pressure.

What do you think? Is there a British Breivik lurking somewhere, brave enough to shoot lots of people and get the attention of the Isles? Or is it to far-fetched that somebody will systematically shoot dozens of people in Britain in one go (as Breivik did)?

Thoughts, thoughts?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a good chance, there are enough people in britain who are anti-multicultural to have at least one brevik type. WIth more media power as well that increases the chances, the current government can change things a lot too. Really a good amount of people in Britain can be like sheep they can change views easily, stupid anti islamist views in their heads and you can easily get someone, maybe not as bad, but like brevik.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    People in places like Norway have a lot of crazed killers because they have such a restrictive, holier-than-thou social model. This is great for normal people but not so great for weirdos. Also it's really dark and that makes everyone depressed.

We British are notoriously apathetic, and pathetic, when it comes to uprisings and movements, unlike the French, who had their own madman a few short weeks ago. I don't think we will have a Breivik.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gun control in the UK, a reason why it's unlikely. Summer camps organised by political groups are not a common youth activity in the UK it seems either.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Certainly not on the same scale in terms of loss of life as in Norway.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you're mentally ill if you think shooting unarmed civilians is an act of bravery and not of extreme cowardice.

I don't know, to answer your question. I hope there isn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Breivik has completed his plan perfectly. By this I mean by doing the act and posting his manifesto so others have a reason to do something. There will be a British Breivik within the next 10 years I predict and the violence will solely take place in London or Greater Manchester.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    People may try and claim that this guy is the closest we've had already:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

But Breivik's attacks were orchestrated with vast amounts of planning. That guy just seems to have placed some crude bombs and run away.

What Copeland did was purely out of hatred. What Breivik did was more against government policy and its supporters.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be particularly brave to shoot a load of children.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    People in places like Norway have a lot of crazed killers because they have such a restrictive, holier-than-thou social model. This is great for normal people but not so great for weirdos. Also it's really dark and that makes everyone depressed.

We British are notoriously apathetic, and pathetic, when it comes to uprisings and movements, unlike the French, who had their own madman a few short weeks ago. I don't think we will have a Breivik.
    Those are just generalisations. Also, aren't you forgetting that we had a couple of madman shooting escapades (e.g. Raoul Moat) not to mention a full-scale riot in the capital last year? Those events don't seem to fit very well with your generalisations about Britain...

My own take on matters is that I believe Breivik may be the harbinger of the next main source of terrorism towards the West. Al-Qaeda may very well now be close to defeat. But it would be naive so imagine that the threat of terrorism will cease. Terrorism is usually the result of deep conflict about constitutional issues: in the case of Al-Qaeda, this concerned American policy in the Middle East, amongst other things. Breivik, unlike most other mad serial killers, based his actions on a political concept: anti-multiculturalism, anti-globalisation, nationalism - that sort of ugly stuff. Multiculturalism is a hugely divisive constitutional issue and so it may well lead to a greater number of terrorist attacks in the future, if there are more of those like Breivik who feel strongly enough about it to engage in violence. Some such attacks may well take place in Britain.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing hope not. I hope nothing like this happens again.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The key word being "hope".
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Richard" who was mentioned at the trial today apparently has the capability to.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Those are just generalisations. Also, aren't you forgetting that we had a couple of madman shooting escapades (e.g. Raoul Moat) not to mention a full-scale riot in the capital last year? Those events don't seem to fit very well with your generalisations about Britain...
    How can you possibly disagree with this kind of in-depth psychological analysis:

"Also it's really dark and that makes everyone depressed."

People are cute
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    People may try and claim that this guy is the closest we've had already:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland

But Breivik's attacks were orchestrated with vast amounts of planning. That guy just seems to have placed some crude bombs and run away.

What Copeland did was purely out of hatred. What Breivik did was more against government policy and its supporters.
    Breivik is a lot smarter than Copeland. A large portion of the Far right are pretty smart in the sense they dont just follow BBC news (left wing) they review different news sources so unlike masses of people in Britain they are not lamb to the slaughter. Breivik seems to be Pro Israel which is a minority view of those on the far right.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackAVFC)
    Breivik is a lot smarter than Copeland. A large portion of the Far right are pretty smart in the sense they dont just follow BBC news (left wing) they review different news sources so unlike masses of people in Britain they are not lamb to the slaughter. Breivik seems to be Pro Israel which is a minority view of those on the far right.
    From reading sections of his diary I would say that he's probably a lot smarter than most people. And he thinks very logically (with a few very well documented exceptions).

Copeland on the other hand, is a walking stereotype of the far right in Britain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    From reading sections of his diary I would say that he's probably a lot smarter than most people. And he thinks very logically (with a few very well documented exceptions).

Copeland on the other hand, is a walking stereotype of the far right in Britain.
    I am far right myself but within the term far right there are many different subgroups. Breivik also had a large sum of money Copeland did not.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am far right myself but within the term far right there are many different subgroups. Breivik also had a large sum of money Copeland did not.
    Yeah I saw that. He said he had about half a million euros at one point. Though he seemed to lose a lot by trying to earn more on stock markets and messing up.

You probably already know this, but announcing affiliation to the far right on TSR is rarely wise from what I've seen! I'm not going to pass judgement though. I won't agree with your views but I don't agree with most people's political views. Also I try my best to distinguish between the person and their views.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eldedu)
    How can you possibly disagree with this kind of in-depth psychological analysis:

"Also it's really dark and that makes everyone depressed."

People are cute
    :laugh:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, maybe we could get an attack of far right 'sheeps' in Britain. It seems possible from some groups.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david2457)
    Agreed, maybe we could get an attack of far right 'sheeps' in Britain. It seems possible from some groups.
    I am far right myself so will not support attacks on other people just because they are far right.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.