Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Becoming healthier

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eat a proper breakfast, cereal bars are processed gunk in most cases. Otherwise I think what you are eating is reasonable so long as your portions are

I think you need to be doing cardio to burn maximum calories. In a lot of cases just lifting is fine but since you want to loose quite a lot of fat I think cardio too. Also don't consider the gym your only exercise. You need to be making broader lifestyle changes since you managed to get so overweight in the first place. Set yourself little goals that will generally get you moving more. The more you move the more calories you are burning so every 5 mins walk adds up.

But do weights at the same time. Muscles makes loosing fat easier. Starting Strength and Strong lifts are the best bets.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you find diets difficult to stick to then the main thing seems to be to make it seem as though you're not on a diet. Try swapping snacks for fresh fruit, so instead of trying to force yourself not to eat you just eat different, healthy things.

I agree with BKs about the gym, cardio is great for shifting the initial pounds. Congrats on making the decision to sign up to the gym, the thought of wasted money can be a good motivator Depending on how easily you get bored you could do, say, 100 calories or 10-15 mins on different machines like crosstrainer, rowing, cycling - then as you do more you'll naturally find you can do more and more easily (I started by being exhausted after doing 100 cals on the crosstrainer and 2 months later I can keep it up for 40-50 mins for a good workout, just keep at it! )

I would warn you - once you start going to the gym you may find that as you replace fat with muscle your weight doesn't go down, but don't be discouraged because it's a positive change. If you've been overweight a while the body takes a while to respond but given a kickstart it will!!

Last thing about your diet - vary it as often as possible. Try not to eat a lunch and dinner that's composed of the same food groups, like pasta for lunch and then lots of bread for dinner. Carbohydrates tend to make you quite bloated as well - once you start dropping the cereal bars and picking up the fruit you'll find you feel lighter, sleep better and feel more energised in the day!

Maybe keep a note of what you eat throughout the day for about a week and post it back here? Would be interested to see what it's like.
    Good luck!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree on weight not being a good measure if you are gaining muscle. Take photos instead. Say every 2 weeks, one front and one side. That way you can track your progress and hopefully be motivating yourself but also see if something isn't working. Taking them at decent intervals allows you to see the changes that are easy to overlook when you see yourself in the mirror twice a day
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cardio cardio cardio

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eating is always a good way to becoming healthier... But, it's not all about eating.
    Try find a way to exercise - even if its just once per week besides the daily walking/cycling activities. By exercising, you're keeping your body healthy in general, you're burning fat (Even light exercise does this!) and you're strengthening your heart, plus increasing your metabolism!
    All of what increases the fat-burning rate. Try to eat low-fat meals in place of full-fat. Have variety, so to say.

Either way, it all boils down to determination... Why not check out the Health Section of the Student Room, I just had a look through it and it seems interesting, maybe it can offer some advice, if you have the time
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acceptingme)
    Try and stay away from gluten and wheat if you can (or at least limit them). They can cause bloating, indigestion and water retention. Of course, once in a while is fine, as is the case with everything, but try to limit them and you will see a difference.

Also, aiming for more vegetables than fruit is good as fruits contain a lot of sugar. While this is fine in moderation, sugar is sugar at the end of the day (be it refined or natural)... good luck
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karousel)
    Try and stay away from gluten and wheat if you can (or at least limit them). They can cause bloating, indigestion and water retention. Of course, once in a while is fine, as is the case with everything, but try to limit them and you will see a difference.

Also, aiming for more vegetables than fruit is good as fruits contain a lot of sugar. While this is fine in moderation, sugar is sugar at the end of the day (be it refined or natural)... good luck
    Ok I really like this advice! What I'm really trying to focus on is not 'dieting' but just making healthier choices - I find it SO hard to stick to diets. Whereas if I just keep swapping foods for healthier choices eventually I'll be able to diet without even realising it
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I ate this morning a cereal bar (I didn't see your comments until now - going to swap this for fruit I think).
    If you need to be on the go then fruit is a good choice. But also something like weetabix or oats is a good breakfast. Personally I need my carbs in the morning. Just watch your portion size if you do have them
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Throughout my entire life I've been overweight and struggled with my self confidence because of it. Lately though I've managed to lose a little weight (7 lbs) and it's spurred me on and given me the confidence to realise I want to go the full way and lose another 2 stone.

Currently I am 5' 10", male, 17 and I am really overweight. Losing 2 stone would make me feel much more confident about my body.

My current 'diet' is as follows (bearing in mind I tend not to have much time to cook as I am currently in school and also have 2 jobs and it's near exam time):

Breakfast: glass of water, cereal bar

Lunch: pasta bake with salad or chilli chicken and salad wrap with water

Dinner: I tend to have soup, beans and sausages, eggs ect. I vary this meal a lot but I try and keep the calories relatively low and make sure it's not 'unhealthy'.

Snacks: fruit, drink more water.

Is this ok? I try not to make my diet too strict because then I find it difficult to stick by and keep up for a long period of time.

So far I've been exercising at home by doing squats, lunges, high knees and press ups ect. but I've decided to invest in a gym membership. I plan to go to the gym 3-4 times a week.

I need advice on what I should be doing. My goal is to lose the weight in the next 14 weeks and I want to keep tone as I do it - I really want to grow my muscle so I look healthier as I am losing weight. Could anyone help me draw up a fitness plan?

Thanks for your help
    Good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ok I really like this advice! What I'm really trying to focus on is not 'dieting' but just making healthier choices - I find it SO hard to stick to diets. Whereas if I just keep swapping foods for healthier choices eventually I'll be able to diet without even realising it
    Definitely ! I'm still cutting out 'bad foods' and finding out what I like (and subsequently which 'health' foods are a con !) since turning 18 three years ago and becoming crazy health conscious almost overnight.
    There are really good corn alternatives to wheat which often taste better than 'the real thing' too. Corn cakes are a particularly good alternative to bread; they're just as filling but better for you and aren't gross like rice cakes. They sell them in Sainsbury's if you're interested. Vegan cheese is good for pasta bake and things too, as once it's melted you can't really tell the difference but it has way less fat etc. in it than dairy cheese (obviously the same can be said for all dairy alternatives such as oat milk and stuff but I know they're not to everyone's taste) X
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vegan cheese is good for pasta bake and things too, as once it's melted you can't really tell the difference but it has way less fat etc. in it than dairy cheese (obviously the same can be said for all dairy alternatives such as oat milk and stuff but I know they're not to everyone's taste) X
    This is stupid. Food with "Low fat" is not good for you. Fat is not bad for you, fat does not make you fat. You know how you said you were learning which health food products were a scam?

Anything with low fat, fat free, 1% fat, 90% fat free etc on the label, add that to your list.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    This is stupid. Food with "Low fat" is not good for you. Fat is not bad for you, fat does not make you fat. You know how you said you were learning which health food products were a scam?

Anything with low fat, fat free, 1% fat, 90% fat free etc on the label, add that to your list.
    I know that not all fat is bad for you, I'm not an idiot... but a high fat intake can contribute to weight gain if you're not burning it off as energy.

I don't know where you got the 'fat free' thing from either, something you've just assumed, but I didn't say anything of the sort. The poster wants to lose weight and replacing fattening foods such as the dairy cheese they use on their pasta bake (which contains a lot of saturated fat) with vegan alternatives is one way to help achieve this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that not all fat is bad for you, I'm not an idiot... but a high fat intake can contribute to weight gain if you're not burning it off as energy.

I don't know where you got the 'fat free' thing from either,
    Research and common sense. Light mayo is not healthy or good for you, neither is "lighter than light flora" or diet coke.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Research and common sense. Light mayo is not healthy or good for you, neither is "lighter than light flora" or diet coke.
    No, I meant I am well aware of 'diet friendly' foods being junk and I can't see what made you think I was saying otherwise...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Not all fats are good though.

Anyways, some blogs I like to read up for health include perfect health diet, Chris kresser's blog and Archevore
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Eat as much unprocessed food as possible.
    2. Eat more vegetables.
    3. Find an exercise routine you can stick to in the long term.

Good luck!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Today I ate:

Breakfast: fruit
    Lunch: chilli and wedges with salad. 450cals
    Dinner: cumberland pie with salad. 450cals
    Snacks: fruit and half a biscuit.

Had a really good day! Feel good too. Going to the gym again tomorrow morning.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You are eating like 1200 calories? I know you want to loose weight but I'd guess that's too far below maintenance to be good for you or sustainable. Since you are overweight probably better to calculated from a healthy weight

You need to eat enough calories that you get enough nutrition going into you and that you don't feel run down after a while on it. I know you want to loose weight but think marathon not sprint.

72kg would be healthy for a person your height. If you were a lightly active then you'd need to eat about 2,300 to maintain it. 500 calories below that is still healthy so 1800. If I were you I'd start with 1800, go with it for 2 weeks then check my weight to see if it were working then adjust if need be

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.