Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Diving needs to be stopped once and for all

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    After then game tonight I am still in disbelief how Drogba was still on the pitch after his pathetic diving every 2 minutes.

The rules state that "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour" which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card".

So why is this rule never upheld?

Im not just singling out Drogba here, this goes for every team. Especially Madrid and Barcelona too. It is ruining the game and quite frankly it bores me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. Diving is bringing down the whole reputation of football but unfortunately it is, and always will be, a part of the game. It is too easy for a player to fall to the pitch in hopes of drawing a game-changing free-kick or penalty, and the reward is too great
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    The rule of simulation is what causes the problem. The rule should be changed to that of the MLS which is one of 'embellishment'. This resulted in one player in the MLS who was elbowed in the face being fined because he held a different part of his face trying to embellish the foul.

This gives the authorities greater freedom to charge offending parties.
    • 25 followers

(Original post by Mess.)
    The rule of simulation is what causes the problem. The rule should be changed to that of the MLS which is one of 'embellishment'. This resulted in one player in the MLS who was elbowed in the face being fined because he held a different part of his face trying to embellish the foul.

Do you not think the players will just get smarter and start grabbing the part of of their body which might just a whiff of the opposition player's skin? :holmes:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Do you not think the players will just get smarter and start grabbing the part of of their body which might just a whiff of the opposition player's skin? :holmes:
    Even that is covered though. If the authorities do not believe the contact warranted the reaction, either rolling around, screaming in agony or staying down for an excessive amount of time, then they can be fined and banned. So it is fair enough that they will grab the contacted part but to add any embellishment would result in a charge.
    Obviously this creates a bit of a grey area but I would prefer to see excessive and heavy handed policing of this as opposed to how it is now.
    (I think but am not 100% that the rule can also result in a ban of up to 3 games)
    • 25 followers

(Original post by Mess.)
    Even that is covered though. If the authorities do not believe the contact warranted the reaction, either rolling around, screaming in agony or staying down for an excessive amount of time, then they can be fined and banned. So it is fair enough that they will grab the contacted part but to add any embellishment would result in a charge.
    Obviously this creates a bit of a grey area but I would prefer to see excessive and heavy handed policing of this as opposed to how it is now.
    (I think but am not 100% that the rule can also result in a ban of up to 3 games)
    Ah I see, in that case I think this could work out well, although tbf the heacy handed bans and fines are more common in American leagues so I'm not sure how much the penalty might be here
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    To be fair, there is a very clear difference between an incident not being clear and the rules being ignored.

Its much easier for a ref to give a free kick than take a risk and give a yellow for simulation give the vast majority of the time the player would have hid it well.

Refs have a very hard job, i find it hard to criticize them for not seeing things i dont see as a 100% decision until after multiple angles + replays.

Just to state, i believe its the post-game punishment system that needs changing, which is essentially irrelevant from what a ref sees and gives on the pitch (Get rid of the ****ing 'if the ref saw it but didnt do anything we cant do anything' **** :facepalm2: )
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Ah I see, in that case I think this could work out well, although tbf the heacy handed bans and fines are more common in American leagues so I'm not sure how much the penalty might be here
    I think just a standard 1 game ban for anyone found guilty of embellishment would stop the nonsense within a couple of weeks. Same as if every single player dissenting or holding a shirt at a corner was booked.
    As soon as a manager was having his players sent off every week he would tell his players to stop it.

I imagine the first Classico would be abandoned :rofl:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)

Never knew that about the MLS. Sounds like a good system. If games were reviewed and players were actually punished for diving then it may actually decrease!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    To be fair, there is a very clear difference between an incident not being clear and the rules being ignored.

Its much easier for a ref to give a free kick than take a risk and give a yellow for simulation give the vast majority of the time the player would have hid it well.

Refs have a very hard job, i find it hard to criticize them for not seeing things i dont see as a 100% decision until after multiple angles + replays.
    I agree it can be difficult for the referee and games should be reviewed afterwards. But in drogba's case tonight surely the referee knew he was acting most of the time yet decided to do nothing about it.
    • 25 followers

(Original post by Mess.)
    I think just a standard 1 game ban for anyone found guilty of embellishment would stop the nonsense within a couple of weeks. Same as if every single player dissenting or holding a shirt at a corner was booked.
    As soon as a manager was having his players sent off every week he would tell his players to stop it.

I imagine the first Classico would be abandoned :rofl:
    It would be :mmm:

Imagine Pepe's reaction then
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drogba was an absolute joke tonight, went to ground whenever a barca player went anywhere near him. Made the game very boring to watch.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea Defended very well but Drogba was a disgrace, constantly flopping everywhere. Not quite sure how they didnt atleast get a draw some shocking misses (Fabregas,Sanchez and Busquets), also Adriano was actually very good threated a lot more then Alves did. Still pretty confident of going through since i dont think we will have a game like that next leg where we screw up so much infront of goal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why everyone is moaning about Drogba in particular. Maybe it's just because he's a big lad. Today he did precisely what Barca do week-in, week-out. He out-Barcelona'd them. Busquets, Alves, Macherano, Cuenca, Messi et al. were simply beaten at their own game.

Also, were you not watching the Bayern-Real match yesterday? Ribery was rolling around at every possible opportunity and, what I think is considerably worse, was diving to win free kicks. Drogba was just wasting time and breaking up Barca's momentum.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc92)
    Don't know why everyone is moaning about Drogba in particular. Maybe it's just because he's a big lad. Today he did precisely what Barca do week-in, week-out. He out-Barcelona'd them. Busquets, Alves, Macherano, Cuenca, Messi et al. were simply beaten at their own game.

Also, were you not watching the Bayern-Real match yesterday? Ribery was rolling around at every possible opportunity and, what I think is considerably worse, was diving to win free kicks. Drogba was just wasting time and breaking up Barca's momentum.
    This, but not Messi!

This just emphasises how easily players go to ground!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tc92)

Because it was pathetic. I haven't seen anything like it before, he just threw himself to the ground every time someone went near him and rolled around on the floor for ages each time. Which is funny because I never seen any Barcelona player dive? And Messi? He's one of the few players who very rarely dives.

How come supporters of Chelsea think that Barcelona are a horrible diving team, yet it's okay for them to do it? Hypocrites.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    After then game tonight I am still in disbelief how Drogba was still on the pitch after his pathetic diving every 2 minutes.

The rules state that "Any simulating action anywhere on the field, which is intended to deceive the referee, must be sanctioned as unsporting behaviour" which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card".

Im not just singling out Drogba here, this goes for every team. Especially Madrid and Barcelona too. It is ruining the game and quite frankly it bores me.
    I agree, in recent weeks it's happened quite a lot. They really should get rid of it. I guess drogba today was a classic case of 'the boy who cried wolf.'
    Even I was disgraced, now thinking about it it was a scummy thing to do.

I think the law should be tougher, in the case of a blatant dive/serial diver e.g. suarez/drogba/busquetts a match ban can be held. If say a player gets 3 yellow cards in one season for diving. They should get a 1 match ban on top of whatever they would get normally.

Because it was pathetic. I haven't seen anything like it before, he just threw himself to the ground every time someone went near him and rolled around on the floor for ages each time. Which is funny because I never seen any Barcelona player dive? And Messi? He's one of the few players who very rarely dives.

How come supporters of Chelsea think that Barcelona are a horrible diving team, yet it's okay for them to do it? Hypocrites.
    Ribery did the same thing drogba did against madrid so I won't say it's only drogba who done it.
    Barca played with a lot of dignity tonight, I respect that tbh. They didn't try to get players sent off like what madrid and barca do in el classico.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

It's simply too difficult to tell whether a player has truly been hurt or not. The referee doesn't get the several angles we get and the slow-motion replays; if there is contact then that's all the referee pretty much sees. The theatrics of players has gotten to a point where medical teams assess them on the field, even if they haven't been injured, and offer some sort of assistance, which the "injured" player accepts just to maintain the ruse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

You simply must be joking saying that you've never seen a Barca player dive. End of.

It's not saying it's okay. It's just this selective outrage that people go insane when Drogba does it, but gloss over other teams' antics. And, as I said before, I think there's a difference between going down to waste time and disrupt play (also see the whole issue of Al-Habsi for Wigan at Arsenal, again the sheer insanity that Arsenal of all people complain about teams wasting time), and diving to win a free-kick and/or get your opponents in trouble. Drogba was not trying to get any of his opponents in trouble; unlike most of what happens in El Classico regularly, for example.

Just think of all the thousands of times players from absolutely every single team out there go down with "cramp" and similar things with 5/10 mins to go when they're protecting a slender lead. Or goalkeepers taking ages on goal kicks. Wasting time is so common, it's referred to as "professionalism" half the time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I was quite enjoying seeing the reaction of the barcelona players to Drogba's diving and play acting. Particularly Mascherano and Busquets, who you could see started moaning to the referee about it, which I found hilarious considering they're the biggest cheats in football

Not a chelsea fan btw

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 20, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.