The Student Room Group

Postpone my enrollment ? Need a hand !

Hi everyone !

I got myself in a weird situation where i need to choose between two MSc that have nothing to do with each other ...

- MSc in Finance at Bocconi in Milan
- MSc in Management and New Technologies at HEC in Paris

Given that I terribly want to attend both of them, i'm contemplating postponing my enrollment at Bocconi.
Do you happen to know if that's possible ? I'm not really looking forward to contacting the university to ask them directly because I fear that they would get offended or somethg... What do you think ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
As far as I know the MSc in HEC is 2 years plus something like a compulsory gap year in between so it takes 2-3 years to complete. No way Bocconi will allow you to defer your offer with 2 or 3 years. I got an offer for the same program from Bocconi and rejected it because they were so restrictive with their deposit rules. I don't think being flexible is their thing, most likely they don't allow deferrals at all.
As a side note I find the idea of spending 4 years in school to do 2 MSc's baffling. Your opportunity cost would be ridiculous. 4 years in school instead of working (4 x say 40,000 euro in salary) + roughly 40,000 in tuition= 200,000 euro.
Reply 2
Hey,

Thanks for your input !

I think my post slightly lacks of a context, though:

-> MSc at HEC is 1 year (incl. interships). It would be free for me because it would replace my final year of engineering (French engineering schools are public, thus almost free).

-> I got a scholarship at Bocconi (although it has to be renewed after the first year) so it would not be that expensive compared to other MSc.

-> I am 23 y-o and don't mind starting to work a little bit later (around 25) if I had a great time during my studies: my goal here is not to make a lot of money as soon as possible. Bocconi offers some very attractive international opportunities for the second year and that's something that really counts to me.

Now, does anyone know if bocconi accepts postponements ? I know several people who got admitted to IE (Madrid) and were able to choose their entry year (!)

I am also very interested in any kind of opinion about the aformentioned MSc and schools !

Reply 3
Just send Bocconi an email if you don't want to call them. When I told them I reject their offer and scholarship they just said OK and that's it. No one gets offended.
Reply 4
Email or call, the pb remains the same.. But thanks for your advice anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending