The Student Room Group

Circumcision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
4:20 part 2 hahaha
"I literally mourned for my foreskin"

Yeah, I felt like that a bit. Can't do anything about it, but would be nice to know the difference of feeling.

Never had any complaints, but no girl is gonna complain.

Maybe I should move to the states where cut is seen as better than uncut :P (seems to be opposite here)
Original post by Doctor.
From the article itself:

" legal challenges
alleging violations of the First
Amendment's guarantee of the
freedom to exercise one's religious
beliefs."

"A similar effort to introduce a
circumcision ban in the Massachusetts
Legislature last year failed to gain
traction."

and "International health organisations
have promoted circumcision as an
important strategy for reducing the
spread of the AIDS virus. That's based
on studies that showed it can prevent
AIDS "

A ban will never happen :h:

Right to excercise 'religious beleif' under 1st would apply to yourself, not necessarrily to a child in your care who is not given a say in the matter.

and actually there have been as many studies that show circumcision has little or no effect on hiv transmission, hence why the issue is still inconclusive - all we know for sure is hiv transmission is reduced by contraception. But we do know having a intact foreskin provides protection against some stds and infections, which is the biological purpose of a foreskin. And that circumscision has various health and surgical risks attactched without any corresponding benefit.
Just becuase Massachusetts failed , doesnt mean other states will also, there is mounting call for it california, Santa Monica , San fran etc, and i doubt thosse calls will go away either
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food

and actually there have been as many studies that show circumcision has little or no effect on hiv transmission, hence why the issue is still inconclusive - all we know for sure is hiv transmission is reduced by contraception. But we do know having a intact foreskin provides protection against some stds and infections, which is the biological purpose of a foreskin.

Can you show me some of the studies, which are published in a respectable journal? -BMJ or maybe Lancet?

Also I haven't heard of any sort of protection from STDs with having foreskin. Again, any actual medical/scientific journal to back that up? :s-smilie:

If you have links that would be awesome :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
Can you show me some of the studies, which are published in a respectable journal? -BMJ or maybe Lancet?

Also I haven't heard of any sort of protection from STDs with having foreskin. Again, any actual medical/scientific journal to back that up? :s-smilie:

did you not learn in medical school the biological purpose of having a foreskin, or do you just disagree with it?
Were you going to afford the same respected research findings to backup your view too :smile:
Reply 164
I was circumcised at the age of 4, I still remember it like it were yesterday :frown: Painful to say the least...

Urm I don't think its useless, like someone typed earlier it does make the area look a lot more neat and tidy, ex-girlfriend approved of it lol

There are benefits in terms reduced risk of infections/diseases developing in that region etc, most of the guys I know who have done it, it was purely for religious reasons, I don't know were you stand there, but yeah lol
Reply 165
Not everything in the human body has a biological "purpose", so that argument is pretty tenuous.

I'd guess that the reason some religions encourage circumcision in their holy texts is similar to (what some think) is the reason they also discourage eating certain meats and shellfish - it's healthier and safer. I'm not saying it's unhealthy or unsafe to have a foreskin, nor am I saying it's unhealthy or unsafe to eat certain meats and shellfish (though I am of this opinion); rather that the societies which made contributions to those holy texts had experienced problems with such things.

The "trauma" argument some are using isn't valid. You will not find a single person who was circumcised as a baby and can remember it.
Reply 166
Original post by Electronica
Then it should be the NHS that performs it. Not some religious nut with no qualification...

Oh, and this guy is talking rubbish
Reply 167
Original post by Doctor.

How is protection against STDs in any way relevant to a baby? If that's the reason for getting circumcised it can wait until they are older, when they are sexually active and can make the decision for themselves.

Or even better, use a condom.
Reply 168
did you not learn in medical school the biological purpose of having a foreskin, or do you just disagree with it?
Were you going to afford the same respected research findings to backup your view too :smile:
Didn't know there was a real purpose to be honest. Not all parts of our bodies have a function ie Appendix.

My 'findings' are stated in the above quote from the source YOU provided.

So again, link me the article? :smile:

Original post by Psyk
How is protection against STDs in any way relevant to a baby? If that's the reason for getting circumcised it can wait until they are older, when they are sexually active and can make the decision for themselves.

Or even better, use a condom.

It's not relevent to the baby. The person I was responding to believes having foreskin has some form of protection?
I was mearly asking for which medical even possibly scientific journal he read that from and if possible provide a link.
Original post by Doctor.
Didn't know there was a real purpose to be honest. Not all parts of our bodies have a function ie Appendix.

My 'findings' are stated in the above quote from the source YOU provided.

So again, link me the article? :smile:

what findings, that article offerred no proof or conclusive study results, i assumed you would have access to those yourself, otherwise why would you hold such an opinion?

Didnt you know that the foreskin offers protection from various infections via enzymes produced? Perhaps you should obtain some inital knowledge on this subject before replying to this post :smile:
Hehehehe. Threads where the circumcised search desperately for a justification. It's not your fault they didn't ask you.

I mean c'mon, it might not hurt anymore, but unless you have a medical condition it's ridiculous
Reply 171
what findings, that article offerred no proof or conclusive study results, i assumed you would have access to those yourself, otherwise why would you hold such an opinion?

Didnt you know that the foreskin offers protection from various infections via enzymes produced? Perhaps you should obtain some inital knowledge on this subject before replying to this post :smile:

Then why post an article which has not based on any form of scientific knowledge. Ie its crap.

I'd like to see this whole 'protection' stuff you're talking about though. I haven't heard of that tbh.

Asking for a link to wherever you've read that from? (Again) :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending