Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pressure of uni really getting to me

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

I have depression and I have already dropped out of uni and started again once. Uni pressure is really getting to me. I don't notice it until deadlines come up, obviously. I have three essays due in at the same time in two weeks, and after that I have exams in two weeks so there is just no break.

I'm on the edge of dropping out, but I know there is nothing else for me and I also know that in about a month I will have first year under my belt. It's just so hard..

It is hard to cope with university pressures in general, let alone with depression!

Any advice and experience?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only one thing you can do :/ Give up
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have depression and I have already dropped out of uni and started again once. Uni pressure is really getting to me. I don't notice it until deadlines come up, obviously. I have three essays due in at the same time in two weeks, and after that I have exams in two weeks so there is just no break.

I'm on the edge of dropping out, but I know there is nothing else for me and I also know that in about a month I will have first year under my belt. It's just so hard..

It is hard to cope with university pressures in general, let alone with depression!

Hi,
    I often have similar experiences when dealines and exams are looming, often feeling that I really havent done very well. But I just tell myself that I only need to pass (at least in the first year) which helps me deal with the anxiety. Also, youve managed to get this far so Im sure you are intelligent and hardworking
    I hope this helped you out and feel free to PM if you ever want to talk about your problems
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't notice it until deadlines come up, it might be helpful to sit down, look at what work exactly you have to do and break it down into sections day-by-day (and then do a section each day) This way you know that you won't get caught out suddenly in deadline week with a ton of backed-up work or stuff you've forgotten about and having day by day targets is a bit less dispiriting than trying to rush through it all at once without any way of checking how far you've got. It works for me anyway hope this helps and good luck

(Original post by Anonymous)

Hello! I know how you feel. I took a temporal withdrawal from uni because of depression.

If you really really know there is nothing else for you to do, then don't drop out, just stick to it and at least get a degree to your name But it is harder than it sounds I know.

With regards to the deadlines, personally I actually know there is pressure, but I push it away and pretend it isn't there because the deadlines are so far away. Maybe that is the same for you? If so, I find putting aside one day, making a list of the stuff you have to do and dividing them into small parts for each day to be helpful. This way, you can look at -just- that specific day stuff to be done and not be overwhelmed by how much there is to do.

Do you have supportive housemates/coursemates/friends? Would working with them help?

Do take care, and you can do it!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.