Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I the only one who really couldn't care less about the Olympics?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People train hard, go to the Olympics, take part in whatever race or match or whatever else they trained for. Get 1st, 2nd or 3rd place . . . Or don't. And woop, that's it.

And the opening ceremony? How are we supposed to do better than the home of
    fireworks? That silly little red bus will make all the differece . .

Yeah it brings different countries together, unites us all as one, blah blah blah. But the same will be said for any Olympics, regardless of the country where it takes place

So. Anyone else bored of it already?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care much for the summer olympics. I like the winter sports better... skiing, snowboarding, etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the olympics is basically for sports rejects
    the only sports which actually matter are those involving a ball of some sort
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it's a waste of taxpayer's money.

I don't care if we make the money back through tourism, etc., the fact is the UK was not in a good position to host the games in the first place, we were in a recession, and it has prevented the government from spending money on more important things. That foregone expenditure would have helped pick the economy up again. Thankfully now the games are actually approaching, that should help.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meow444)
    I don't care if we make the money back through tourism, etc., the fact is the UK was not in a good position to host the games in the first place, we were in a recession, and it has prevented the government from spending money on more important things. That foregone expenditure would have helped pick the economy up again. Thankfully now the games are actually approaching, that should help.
    Erm no we were not in 2005.

And 10bil really would not have changed anything economically in the big picture so don't worry.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Erm no we were not in 2005.

And 10bil really would not have changed anything economically in the big picture so don't worry.
    Why specifically 2005? I was just saying that when then bulk of the spending was going on, we were in a recession. I didn't mention the date of when we first got awarded the Olympics.

It just annoys me when they cut spending on areas like the NHS and it literally makes the difference between life and death for somebody, or increase tuition fees and it makes universities more inaccessible to the poor, yet they have money to spend on sports. Seems like skewed priorities to me.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why specifically 2005? I was just saying that when then bulk of the spending was going on, we were in a recession. I didn't mention the date of when we first got awarded the Olympics.

It just annoys me when they cut spending on areas like the NHS and it literally makes the difference between life and death for somebody, or increase tuition fees and it makes universities more inaccessible to the poor, yet they have money to spend on sports. Seems like skewed priorities to me.
    You can't get awarded the Olympics and then pull out unless you want your country to become a complete and utter joke on the world stage.

It's a one in a generation thing, the NHS gets hundreds of billions every year. People always moan this country is miserable and yet when we do something which should be fun everyone moans about how many hospital beds it could buy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    You can't get awarded the Olympics and then pull out unless you want your country to become a complete and utter joke on the world stage.

It's a one in a generation thing, the NHS gets hundreds of billions every year. People always moan this country is miserable and yet when we do something which should be fun everyone moans about how many hospital beds it could buy.
    But I don't want my taxes to go on fun. I want them to save my loved ones' lives or send my child to uni for free. Fun can come from somewhere else, I can produce my own fun without the government's help. I can't get a liver transplant without them though.

Yes I suppose we couldn't really have pulled out. But then I would have preferred it if we had never volunteered to host it in the first place. I wouldn't even mind if they didn't spend so much blimming money on the opening ceremonies.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    But I don't want my taxes to go on fun. I want them to save my loved one's lives or send my child to uni for free. Fun can come from somewhere else, I can produce my own fun without the government's help. I can't get a liver transplant without them though.

Yes I suppose we couldn't really have pulled out. But then I would have preferred it if we had never volunteered to host it in the first place. I wouldn't even mind if they didn't spend so much blimming money on the opening ceremonies.
    Well quite a lot of people in this country do like sport and do want the Olympics.. All who pay tax.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care.

The further away from London you get, the less people care. Unfortunatly the BBC are obsessed in London so we have to put up with it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am certain that there is still time to remarket it as a sporting celebration of the Queen's jubilee.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really hope it does well, but since it's England, it'll probably be mediocre.

I mean, just look at that incredible logo, and those adorable mascots.

Holy ****ing hell...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cuts to the NHS don't make the difference between life and death. If you are in a critical condition they do all they can do. Cuts just go on waste. And fees don't make it more inaccessible because you dont pay them up front.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Well quite a lot of people in this country do like sport and do want the Olympics.. All who pay tax.
    yes sport not pansies jumping in a pool or going for a jog
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dutifully plant myself in front of the TV with a miniature Union Flag and a bag of crisps, and root for Team GB right the way through.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to some of the events. Your lack of interest is I am sure not unique.
    • 87 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    the olympics is basically for sports rejects
    the only sports which actually matter are those involving a ball of some sort
    So ball in a cup is acceptable?

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPerson)
    People train hard, go to the Olympics, take part in whatever race or match or whatever else they trained for. Get 1st, 2nd or 3rd place . . . Or don't. And woop, that's it.

And the opening ceremony? How are we supposed to do better than the home of
    fireworks? That silly little red bus will make all the differece . .

Yeah it brings different countries together, unites us all as one, blah blah blah. But the same will be said for any Olympics, regardless of the country where it takes place

So. Anyone else bored of it already?
    Actually sky sports did a survey and 53% of people didn't care.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are against the Olympics, if you are for the Olympics, facts either way will not change your views.
    I could go on about the number of tickets sold, people applying to be Torch Bearers , applying to be Volunteers, but it will not change your mind either way. But as we live , thankfully, in a country that allows us, we should let everyone to join in or reject.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    Cuts to the NHS don't make the difference between life and death. If you are in a critical condition they do all they can do. Cuts just go on waste. And fees don't make it more inaccessible because you dont pay them up front.
    Ummm yes cuts do, investing money in the NHS is going to help save peoples' lives, if it's done right. Obviously if you are in a critical condition they do all they can do, I'm not saying they don't. However, if the NHS has a bigger budget and it is put to good use, then obviously there is going to be more that they can do for people in the first place.

For example, my my mum had breast cancer. She told her doctor about her breast pain, but they didn't want to scan her initially to diagnose her because resources were limited. If she hadn't pushed the matter, god knows how long it would have taken until she did get scanned, and then she might have died. If they had the staff and the equipment (so basically the money) then scans would be available quickly to everyone who might need them. That is just one example as well. What about waiting times for operations? People die all the time because the NHS doesn't have the resources to treat them fast enough. If you doubt this then you are being naive. And it's not just about death. I had to wait 5 months for an operation on my knee. If the waiting list hadn't been so long, I would be back to doing the things I love by now, like rock climbing, but I had to wait.

As for the fee increases at uni, they do make a difference, even though you don't have to pay them back immediately. They put poorer people (who's parents don't help them pay for uni) in a worse position when they graduate than richer people. The high fees put poorer people off going to uni. I'm sure of this - I've met people who aren't going to uni for this reason. If uni was free and then I think it would be more accessible to people from all backgrounds.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.