Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for Moslems who pray towards Mecca

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All off-topic posts will be reported to moderators.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering the Student Room has a large number of Moslem users, I'd like to pose them a question regarding their tendency to pray towards the city of Mecca.

Post-Koran science has taught us that gravity acts upon objects with mass, such as balls. If I rolled a ball towards Mecca (and let's assume there's nothing to stop it or slow it down like objects, wind resistance, friction, etc) then it would reach Mecca, and gravity would make sure it stays on the ground.

Prays, however, do not have mass. This means that, unless I'm already very close to Mecca, getting down on a rug and aiming a prayer at the city will result in it eventually going through Earth's atmosphere and shooting off into the blackness of space, rather than reaching its intended target.

If Allah is the all-knowing creator of the world, he'd have known about gravity, so why didn't he instruct Moslems to take this fact into account when praying towards Mecca?

Armed with this knowledge, will Moslems cease wasting their time praying towards Mecca when their prayers (certainly if you're in the United Kingdom) will not get there anyway?

Thank you, and remember, this is not a thread for bashing the beliefs of others, be they Moslem, Christian, atheist, etc. This is simply a place to discuss this one issue.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This genuinely made me lol.

I know this is likely a trollish thread, but it does pose an interesting question though. If your meant to face towards mecca should you be perhaps praying on an inclined floor so that your facing in the direct direction of mecca? Really lolworthy if you happen to live on the opposite side of the earth.

I suppose there is the easy answer of 'god understands your intentions' in the same way when we point towards north we don't point 'through' the earth towards the north pole but in the direction that we'd follow to get there as people would understand our intentions too.

Then again, to humour you further, no-one knows the exact 'science' behind praying either. For all you know we could have the gravitational equivalent for prayers. Just no-ones discovered it...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not a muslim. However science and religion have always had problems, so to speak, because alot of stories in the quran/bible ect.. seem debatable using the known laws of nature. So not to insult or hurt anyone but i think an old pope said it best that science and religion should be kept seperate.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would assume it is some sort of sign of respect. Why do Christians get on their knees to pray when those prayers are directed at heaven? Surely standing up with bring you closer?

Personally I don't think one can discuss religion in terms of science. Realistically only one of the two can be correct, well in my opinion anyway. Therefore... I deny gravity.

:2euk48l:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ann Widdecombe)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering the Student Room has a large number of Moslem users, I'd like to pose them a question regarding their tendency to pray towards the city of Mecca.

Post-Koran science has taught us that gravity acts upon objects with mass, such as balls. If I rolled a ball towards Mecca (and let's assume there's nothing to stop it or slow it down like objects, wind resistance, friction, etc) then it would reach Mecca, and gravity would make sure it stays on the ground.

Prays, however, do not have mass. This means that, unless I'm already very close to Mecca, getting down on a rug and aiming a prayer at the city will result in it eventually going through Earth's atmosphere and shooting off into the blackness of space, rather than reaching its intended target.

If Allah is the all-knowing creator of the world, he'd have known about gravity, so why didn't he instruct Moslems to take this fact into account when praying towards Mecca?

Armed with this knowledge, will Moslems cease wasting their time praying towards Mecca when their prayers (certainly if you're in the United Kingdom) will not get there anyway?

Thank you, and remember, this is not a thread for bashing the beliefs of others, be they Moslem, Christian, atheist, etc. This is simply a place to discuss this one issue.
    Hey, interesting question. The prayer is not meant to reach Mecca, it is meant to reach God, and the the link is between oneself and God, not a tangible object but a state of belief and faith. The main purpose of praying toward Mecca is firstly for the unity that is created between Muslims, as Mecca is like a core for Muslims. Second of all, to reduce to possibility of prayers being directed toward an image which that Muslim could come to worship instead (a great sin in Islam).

The direction is, in reality, so inconsequential that if you are travelling Muslim or someone without knowledge of in which direction Mecca is, then your prayer is still accepted where ever (so long as it is clean) and in whichever direction you decide to pray in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ann Widdecombe)

Ill overlook the fact that this might be a troll. It is used only as a focal point for prayer (not worshiped) and simply signifies a direction, imposed by God to maintain unity and uniformity among worshipers. Oh and next time type the word Muslims not Moslems.
Updated: April 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.