Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

AS Chemistry doubt

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exams are around the corner and I was flicking through the Chemistry AS revision guide when I came across this:

When electrons are shared, the situation is more stable than when there are two separate atoms (four attractive forces between positive nuclei and negative electrons instead of two).
    I'm afraid I didn't quite understand that statement. I may come off as thick but I'd rather be made to look foolish for a few minutes than live in foolish ignorance. So, can anybody clarify what these four/two attractive forces are? I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Suppose there are two atoms, A and B.
    Firstly, if the two are bonded together.
    the nature of a covalent bond is the attraction force between the shared electron pair and two nuclei, positive and negative, electrostatic force. The attraction force between A and bonded pair, attraction between B and attracted pair. So two forces.
    However between non bonded two atoms, I don't quite understand either because I think this should be the case when van der Waals force comes in. I guess the statement in your revision guide could mean that, the attraction between the nucleus of A and the electrons of B, attraction between the nucleus of A and the electrons in A, and so forth. Therefore, there are four attractive forces, possibly. But personally, I think this will just perplex students a little bit, well, a large bit, as the case of two non bonded atoms resembles that inside noble gas. Eg, Two He atoms.
    Hope that will help.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Initially I too was in possession of the same reasoning but it seemed too simple. Now that you look at it though, it seems to be the only rational explanation. So, thank you for putting my mind at ease!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.