Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are they giving Breivik a platform???

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have seen at least three news stories in the last week on Breivik's trial, and they all mention his defiance of the justice system;

1. His white power salute.
    2. His refusal to recognise the judge's authority.
    3. Him crying over his own video.

The list goes on. Why are they doing this? It doesn't take a psychologist to work out that the man is a chronic attention seeking deluded fantasist - this is exactly what he wants. He doesn't care about his punishment, he wants to make even more of a name for himself. The worst punishment for someone like that is to label them insane or put them somewhere they and their strange views will be forgotten about.

What do you think? Is there a case for having the trial in secret, or do we have a right to know what is going on?

EDIT: Wow, in three posts you have actually convinced me to change my mind - I didn't really think about the implications of a secret trial. Okay, how about not making him the centre of every news story then? Feel free to discuss.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think its neccesary for people to realise just how extreme white people can be as opposed to the common view of black muslims being extremists.

Its also neccesary for Norway to heal itself. They may be giving him a platform, but I think it works against him more than for him.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    I have seen at least three news stories in the last week on Breivik's trial, and they all mention his defiance of the justice system;

The list goes on. Why are they doing this? It doesn't take a psychologist to work out that the man is a chronic attention seeking deluded fantasist - this is exactly what he wants. He doesn't care about his punishment, he wants to make even more of a name for himself. The worst punishment for someone like that is to label them insane or put them somewhere they and their strange views will be forgotten about.

What do you think? Is there a case for having the trial in secret, or do we have a right to know what is going on?
    He was found to be sane and Norway prides itself on being one of the most open societies in the world. Having trials in secret can set a very dangerous precedent
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The right to a public trial is very important. There is nothing to be gained by holding his trial in secret - people who sympathise with him will decry the justice system and see it as a violation of his human rights or proof that the trial is "rigged", and those (sane) people who know that what he did was terrible aren't going to listen to him anyway.

His human rights are more important than denying him attention.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rennit)
    I think its neccesary for people to realise just how extreme white people can be as opposed to the common view of black muslims being extremists.
    What? The fault is with the individuals who are parochial enough to impute the behaviours of a terrorist to unrelated individuals, simply because they are in the same category of ethnicity. A terrorist represents themselves and anybody who aligns with their views, not anyone else; he isn't 'white people', he is himself.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

We as Brits don't, but the Norwegians do, especially the families of those killed. Not having lost anyone to murder myself, I wouldn't know, but many I've seen appeal on TV for the answer to why their family member was killed. Letting him have his say is part of that (as well as his 'defence' if he should so choose to make one). I agree that the media here are giving him too much attention though.

(Original post by HJFSS)
    The right to a public trial is very important. There is nothing to be gained by holding his trial in secret - people who sympathise with him will decry the justice system and see it as a violation of his human rights or proof that the trial is "rigged", and those (sane) people who know that what he did was terrible aren't going to listen to him anyway.

His human rights are more important than denying him attention.
    The fair trial thing is a farce, as Breivik said himself either acquit him or kill him since he clearly did it. The maximum of 21 years in prison is absolutely appalling, and that's after I'm used to our country letting murderers out in less than 15 years. 21 years for 77 murders is less than 4 months per murder, wtf is that?

Having said that, if you are going to insist on fair trials for everyone then he's got to have one too, not just because people who agree with him will think a secret one's rigged though.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    What? The fault is with the individuals who are parochial enough to impute the behaviours of a terrorist to unrelated individuals, simply because they are in the same category of ethnicity. A terrorist represents themselves and anybody who aligns with their views, not anyone else; he isn't 'white people', he is himself.
    You've missed the point... :facepalm2:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Its also neccesary for Norway to heal itself. They may be giving him a platform, but I think it works against him more than for him.
    Anybody can be an extremist, of any creed or colour.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)

The fair trial thing is a farce, as Breivik said himself either acquit him or kill him since he clearly did it. The maximum of 21 years in prison is absolutely appalling, and that's after I'm used to our country letting murderers out in less than 15 years. 21 years for 77 murders is less than 4 months per murder, wtf is that?

Having said that, if you are going to insist on fair trials for everyone then he's got to have one too, not just because people who agree with him will think a secret one's rigged though.
    I agree on the sentencing thing. He should get 77 life sentences.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Anybody can be an extremist, of any creed or colour.
    If you would read what I said carefully...

I was merely suggesting that it is in effect anti-racist. We are used to seeing terrorists as black male muslims. It is good that the public get the view that terrorists are people of any race or creed rather than the norm. (Not everyone who listens to the media is educated to an extent which one would like)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you would read what I said carefully...

I was merely suggesting that it is in effect anti-racist. We are used to seeing terrorists as black male muslims. It is good that the public get the view that terrorists are people of any race or creed rather than the norm. (Not everyone who listens to the media is educated to an extent which one would like)
    I'm sure, "black male muslims" are falling over themselves to thank this vile murderer who hates them for reminding everyone (after the IRA, unabomber and the shootings carried out by white Christian males in America) that white terrorists are a real problem.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure, "black male muslims" are falling over themselves to thank this vile murderer who hates them for showing reminding everyone (after the IRA, unabomber and the shootings carried out by white Christian males in America) that white terrorists are a real problem.
    There are organizations such as the EDL who naturally associate terrorism with black male muslims. If you asked some of these people if they thought Mr Breivik was a terrorist, I bet you the majority would say no.

I view the trial as an education to Europeans in general, that Islamic extremists aren't the only threat to western society.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are organizations such as the EDL who naturally associate terrorism with black male muslims. If you asked some of these people if they thought Mr Breivik was a terrorist, I bet you the majority would say no.

I view the trial as an education to Europeans in general, that Islamic extremists aren't the only threat to western society.
    Obviously, the EDL is based on Islamophobia.

I view the trial as the culmination of Breivik's true plan, the murder rampage was just his way of creating a platform to help him air his views.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously, the EDL is based on Islamophobia.

I view the trial as the culmination of Breivik's true plan, the murder rampage was just his way of creating a platform to help him air his views.
    Well precisely, do you understand the point I was making now then?

To be honest, it does have a few hints of a documentary style programme (Which is quite worrying). If he airs his views people will be more aware of the anti-islam sentiment there ACTUALLY is in Europe.

Is this Islam's 9/11?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)

Don't worry, he'll be in prison for life.. People are misunderstanding the whole 21 years thing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well precisely, do you understand the point I was making now then?

To be honest, it does have a few hints of a documentary style programme (Which is quite worrying). If he airs his views people will be more aware of the anti-islam sentiment there ACTUALLY is in Europe.

Is this Islam's 9/11?
    Well yeah, but the EDL is a tiny band of loonies who hold views far removed from the mainstream.

The media doesn't care about Islam/raising awareness about Islamophobia they just want viewers, the best thing to do is not give him any credibility by pretending his views are maintstream which is what the media is doing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't take a psychologist to work out that the man is a chronic attention seeking deluded fantasist
    It always amuses me when people say things like this. "It doesn't take an [expert] to see that [casual conclusion about hugely complex matters]"

No, it just takes one stupid lay person. The expert/psychologist would have far more to say on the matter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because his white.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    It always amuses me when people say things like this. "It doesn't take an [expert] to see that [casual conclusion about hugely complex matters]"

No, it just takes one stupid lay person. The expert/psychologist would have far more to say on the matter.
    Um, thanks for the input. This being a students' discussion forum and all, I'll stand by my assertion that he is looking for a platform to air his views.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because if all the sane people see this they can't get away from it and they have to stand up and address it. This isn't some Taliban attack, this is, as one Norwegian stated, 'one of our own'.

So by giving him a platform everyone sees this white christian educated middle class guy and cant avoid the facts of what he has done. This forced awareness will enable people to combat and move against people like this.

And to be fair they are giving him a fair trial, they are showing everyone that despite what he has done, freedom of speech, the justice system, transparency and laws aren't going to be changed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.