The Student Room Group

Girls, do you prefer men to call you 'babe' or 'darling'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nikstar95
that doesnt make sense... it means darling love in english.... :confused: he is calling you both!!! :hmmmm:

It means (as in the sense of it is): my darling that I love :biggrin:
And I put it ironically
Reply 41
Neither really. "Love" is ok, but if you know me, I'd prefer my name.

It depends on who is saying it and how it is being said. If someone calls me "darling", but obviously means it in a friendly, affectionate manner, that's fine. But if some guy, whilst giving me any form of pervy look, says "alright, darling" or "alright, babe", it's just creepy and patronising.
Reply 42
Original post by seanfromtheblock
I think 'bitch' always comes across well, especially in formal situations, or when you are meeting someone for the first time.

Couldn't agree more, sometimes I think it could come off as a little too formal... so that is when I would revert to 'slut', pretty general greeting, always receives a good response
Reply 43
I'd rather have someone call me by my name
Reply 44
I accept darling if said in a sufficiently posh voice. Otherwise, my name works just fine.
Neither. But if I feel like being patronising I'll call someone dear. :mmm:
Babe all the way! Darling sounds like some percy uncle trying to chat you up!
Reply 47
Original post by Ophelie_m
It means (as in the sense of it is): my darling that I love :biggrin:
And I put it ironically

Ohhhh!!!! :biggrin: :tongue:
I hate it when females call me those terms as I am not in an emotional commitment with them... I prefer my name!
Reply 49
Neither. I hate babe, it sounds so sleazy and darling sounds like something a family member would say.
Reply 50
Babe is ok but darling is cheesy and prostitutish.. but I'd prefer my name or something.. cause yknow...its my name :L :biggrin: X
After been reading these reply, I think its depend on the person's background and experienced. I come across this post is because my 57yrs old boyfriend(i am 47),we known each other for over 1.5year, but in relationship nearly a year..he used to called me darling and follow by my name, two weeks now he started to call me 'love' and text me 'love' instead of darling, honey, beautiful. I personaly dont like my man call me 'dear, love,hun' it make me feel that he doesnt have much of a good, deep feeling for me, and he call everyone the same, so its nothing special when he calls me.I've just asked my boyfriend why he change.He doesnt answer me yet, but I assume that 'love' easier,quicker for him to type, its Thursday so he just send the text as a routine but he doesnt have much of a feeling to do so (sort of boring, keep sending every day).
Reply 52
I've never heard a male call a female any of these things whilst been at work

I have seen however females calling men those names [ive been called them]

I think these days what with metoo etc etc most men are afraid to say it
Original post by ANM775
I've never heard a male call a female any of these things whilst been at work

I have seen however females calling men those names [ive been called them]

I think these days what with metoo etc etc most men are afraid to say it

I'm not sure how a term of endearment has anything to do with sexual harassment.
by my name . i only like to be called darling and babe by girls .
Reply 55
Original post by Lilligant22
I'm not sure how a term of endearment has anything to do with sexual harassment.

This is the most recent example I can think of

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5228379/Anger-Virgin-Trains-sexist-response-complaint.html

But as a man in 2019 I would absolutely not call a woman any of these names at work because you just never know these days. Literally anything women seem to take as sexual harassment these days and I wouldn't want to end up loosing my job or even [on the extreme side] getting some sort of criminal caution or something

It is already a criminal offence to wolf whistle at women in some parts of the UK and tbh from looking at further articles it seems like even trying to chat a woman up in these areas could be deemed as harassment and get a man arrested

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5154115/Wolf-whistling-branded-hate-crime-police-trial.html
Original post by ANM775
This is the most recent example I can think of

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5228379/Anger-Virgin-Trains-sexist-response-complaint.html

But as a man in 2019 I would absolutely not call a woman any of these names at work because you just never know these days. Literally anything women seem to take as sexual harassment these days and I wouldn't want to end up loosing my job or even [on the extreme side] getting some sort of criminal caution or something

It is already a criminal offence to wolf whistle at women in some parts of the UK and tbh from looking at further articles it seems like even trying to chat a woman up in these areas could be deemed as harassment and get a man arrested

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5154115/Wolf-whistling-branded-hate-crime-police-trial.html

I think it's one's own interpretation. As a female, I do not find it particularly offensive for a random man to say that to me. It depends on the context, but I don't think that if someone said it neutrally I'd find it offensive.
dont really care if they use it for everyone/their way of talking but problems when from pervy/desperate men
okay call me weird or strange all u want but ive never being called babe or baby, idk what it is. boo is nice, it seems lighthearted, but DARLING....oh my god i love that word and IDK WHAT IT IS. my bf called me that and i went bright red lmaooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending