Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£60 goes missing after a small gathering: who took it?

Announcements Posted on

Friend A - A girl friend of mine, we rarely hang out because she's always going clubbing (I'm not much of a clubber). I don't trust her all that much, she once stole a guy's iPhone in a club after he left it unsupervised and would't hand it in when I told her she should. She loves the alcohol that went missing.

Friend B - A friend of mine who I've known for a long time. He and I have never argued and he's a genuinely nice person. I don't really think he would have taken it as he doesn't like jager all that much and can't stand vodka.

Friend C - A close friend of friend B's. I don't know him all that well, but he has a good-paying job and didn't bring a bag with him, so it would've been difficult to take all that alcohol with him.

Close Friends - We've all known eachother for around 5 years and often drink together at mine. Nothing has ever gone missing and we were the ones who paid for the alcohol that went missing anyway.

The Story

On Saturday I held a small gathering at my flat with myself, my boyfriend (whom I live with), 4 of our close friends from college, and 3 of my friends who I don't see very often (A B and C). It was my boyfriend's birthday so we stocked up on alcohol - however, we put £30 of it aside (jager and vodka) as it is one of our close friends' birthdays this coming weekend and we planned to drink that next week. Myself, my boyfriend and the 4 close friends put our money towards this. It was kept on the kitchen side, unopened.

As the night progressed we order pizza, and my boyfriend paid for his share, as did we all, and he left a £20 note (from the change) on the side in my bedroom - which no one was allowed in for the duration of the night (no alcohol stains in my bed thanks! )

The morning after, the 4 close friends and friends B and C left together around 11am. One of my friends stayed a bit later as she works nearby and had work at 2pm. She left around 1.30pm and then I went into the kitchen to clear up.

I noticed that someone had taken all the unopened alcohol from my kitchen, and the £20 in the side of my bedroom was gone. No one slept in my room, it's too small, and the only person who'd been in there was my boyfriend and friend A who stayed later, as she used my room to get changed for work into.

My close friends and I all know it has to of been either A B or C, but we've approached them all and no one is owning up. Friend A blamed friend B, friend C genuinely had no idea and friend B was shocked that anyone had gone through my things.

What can I do? We don't have any money or drinks for my other friend's birthday now, and plus I don't really want to invite the person who did it again.

Who do you think it was? Any suggestions of what action I should take? I feel really betrayed.

Sorry, £40* of alcohol not 30. 2 large vodka bottles and 2 jager bottles.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friend A.

When reading this, I pretended I was playing a real version of Cluedo, but without the murder.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bring it up casually in conversation with Friend A and see how she reacts. Works best in person
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    what do you think we are CSI?
    Sorry, you have to sort it out yourself.. what do you expect us to do about it?

(Original post by Coolkat)
    what do you think we are CSI?
    Sorry, you have to sort it out yourself.. what do you expect us to do about it?
    Just asking for opinions, don't get your knickers in a twist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Definitely sounds like friend A :unimpressed:

(Original post by cgraham15)
    Friend A.

When reading this, I pretended I was playing a real version of Cluedo, but without the murder.
    Haha I do think it was her to be honest but she won't ever own up to it. :/ Plus she's going to a house party this Friday so it'd make more sense for her to take it so she can bring it to that. Sigh

(Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Bring it up casually in conversation with Friend A and see how she reacts. Works best in person
    As I said, I don't see her very often, so that'd be hard. I'd have to meet up with her just to ask her. :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's obviously friend A, I think you know that though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Invite everyone again, cover £10 in UV ink, see who has UV ink all over their hands if the money goes.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it was friend A.

(Original post by BritGirl)
    Definitely sounds like friend A :unimpressed:
    I don't know what to advise though. I would say phone the police but I don't think they would be interested.
    One of our friends says we should call their bluff by asking if they'd be willing to write a statement about it all as we're taking it to the police, and maybe then they'd own up. But that's a lot of effort tbh and they'd probably know we're not actually going to the police...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a way you're lucky to have this happen to you with a relatively small amount of money. People steal. Always. Some more than others. And those who do, always will, no matter who you are to them.

You'll have to speak to all the suspects in person and see how they react. Don't expect any to admit it, or if they do then they might just flatly refuse to return the items and tell you to **** off and stop "harassing" them about it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friend a.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you've laready made up your mind that it was 'Friend A'. :rolleyes:

Something similar happened at a party my sister went to, where the host ended up inviting a few too many people, including some he didn't know very well. There was one girl in particular (similar to 'Friend A, in fact) that they all had their suspicions about but of course they couldn't prove it was her.

(Original post by Callum828)
    It's obviously friend A, I think you know that though.
    Yeah I did think it was her, I just don't know if I'm overthinking things or not. She's the only one who was around at the right time, had bags to take it in, actually liked the alcohol and was in the rooms the things were in.

But how do I get her to own up?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP, the thread title is really, really confusing. You say £60 goes missing, then say something about he can't have done it as he doesn't like Jager and I'm left thinking "SO? He could've spent it on something else".

Anyway I think it's quite obvious friend A took it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    know anyone who's going to this house party friend A is attending on Friday? Because they could tell you if she ends up bringing a bottle of vodka and jager.

Oh my gosh that made me laugh so much. THANK YOU
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Think it is fairly obvious - "friend A" but without proof you can do nothing and if you go around accusing B and C you will have ZZZero friends.

Chalk it down to learning a harsh and expensive lesson. But no-one died and you are a little wiser.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.