Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£60 goes missing after a small gathering: who took it?

Announcements Posted on
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Good Manners)
    If trials were held like this thread, Ian Huntley would currently be on holiday in Barbados and the Big Issue seller would be doing 30 years instead
    This. From what you've said, it's obviously A, but we don't really have unbiased facts as you have already made up your mind.

I don't think you should leave it, (though honestly thieves will be theives and I doubt she will change), but you should be sure it's her. For fun, if nothing else, pretend you've forgotten it and then do something like theronkinator suggested. Here are some ideas;

Bait

1. Get some empty alcohol bottles from a recycling bin / skip and fill them with water and dye so they look full.
    2. Old credit card with a fake PIN number casually left next to it.
    3. 'winning' lottery ticket, photoshopped.
    4. Broken phone that looks like it works.

Trap

1. Mark bait with something that will stain her hands (UV ink / certain vegetable dyes), and recreate a similar scenario.
    2. Set up CCTV / a camera on a tripwire.
    3. Bear pit.
    4. Hidden tape recorder that randomly comes out with incriminating phrases ("I can seeee youuuu". Won't catch her, but may scare her into not doing it again.
    5. Box full of spiders set to open when bait is moved.
    6. Egg catapult set to fire when bait is moved.
    7. Key fob that allows you to find object when you press a button.

I'll leave it to you (don't injure her though). Make sure you don't put it somewhere she could move it by accident. Of course, you could be surprised...
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Friend A.

In my opinion, you don't need friends that are going to steal from and be dishonest with you, I'd just let it go, but break off contact with her, if she cared about you that much, she would never have taken it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    pitch the idea to channel 5.

No doubt they'll use it for a one off drama/crime feature.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you forgot to lock a window or two and a small leprechaun jumped through the window during the middle of the night and stole it all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with others, friend A sounds like the guilty person in this!

I had a similar thing happen to me. I went to a friend's gathering last year, I knew most people apart from a few who were friend's of my friend. Found out as I was about to leave (one of the last to go), that a £20 note had been taken from my purse and £5 from one of my friend's purse. Still have no idea who took it.

Definitely made me less trusting and I now keep my bag with me/in eyesight whenever I go somewhere. Lesson learnt I suppose!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have added a poll to this thread.

'Friend' A definitely
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As the night progressed we order pizza, and my boyfriend paid for his share, as did we all, and he left a £20 note (from the change) on the side in my bedroom - which no one was allowed in for the duration of the night (no alcohol stains in my bed thanks! )
    £20 note change from pizza? You were paying with 50s?

Your story does not add up darling. Where were YOU on the night in question? Because it would appear it was in YOUR room that the money went missing, and lets not forget that you state yourself that you are a regular drinker. Clear motive for the theft.

:curious:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    This. From what you've said, it's obviously A, but we don't really have unbiased facts as you have already made up your mind.

I don't think you should leave it, (though honestly thieves will be theives and I doubt she will change), but you should be sure it's her. For fun, if nothing else, pretend you've forgotten it and then do something like theronkinator suggested. Here are some ideas;

Bait

1. Get some empty alcohol bottles from a recycling bin / skip and fill them with water and dye so they look full.
    2. Old credit card with a fake PIN number casually left next to it.
    3. 'winning' lottery ticket, photoshopped.
    4. Broken phone that looks like it works.

Trap

1. Mark bait with something that will stain her hands (UV ink / certain vegetable dyes), and recreate a similar scenario.
    2. Set up CCTV / a camera on a tripwire.
    3. Bear pit.
    4. Hidden tape recorder that randomly comes out with incriminating phrases ("I can seeee youuuu". Won't catch her, but may scare her into not doing it again.
    5. Box full of spiders set to open when bait is moved.
    6. Egg catapult set to fire when bait is moved.
    7. Key fob that allows you to find object when you press a button.

I'll leave it to you (don't injure her though). Make sure you don't put it somewhere she could move it by accident. Of course, you could be surprised...
    LMAO bear pit.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've already made your decision on who is guilty and this will influence the way you inform us of how events unfolded. We're not here to confirm your bias.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't really tell because you seem very biased towards thinking it was friend A. Your bias would have made you write more things about her than others. I would need to be in the party to decide who did it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ooh cluedo
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    x
    phone all of them "only 3 people could have done it and youre one of them, im not going to stop until i get my money.... put the money in an envelope and post it back to me (no return address), that way i wont know who did it...so if it was you, i wont find out... so give it back.... otherwise i will find out... theres only 3 people involved in this, you wont get away with it..."

next time, hide your things if youre going to invite people who you dont absolutely trust....
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well if Friend A was the only person that went in your bedroom, surely you know it was her that took the money?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    The butler did it!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Often drink together but don't see each other often?

Your story does not add up darling. Where were YOU on the night in question? Because it would appear it was in YOUR room that the money went missing, and lets not forget that you state yourself that you are a regular drinker. Clear motive for the theft.

Often drink together as in with her close friends - they are different people; not A, B or C. She clearly mentions that - "4 close friends and 3 others".

You do have a point about the £20 change though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Often drink together but don't see each other often?

The OP clearly states that she drinks often with her close friends, and hardly see's the other three.

I think you misunderstood what she wrote.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by echeee)
    The OP clearly states that she drinks often with her close friends, and hardly see's the other three.

I think you misunderstood what she wrote.
    Yea you're not the first to point out that error. The rest stands though, who gets £20 note change from buying a pizza? EH? Answer that smart guy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Yea you're not the first to point out that error. The rest stands though, who gets £20 note change from buying a pizza? EH? Answer that smart guy
    Maaaaaaaybe, they bought a number of pizzas and it came to £30 and so they paid with a £50? because... everyone has £50s instead of a £20 and a £10.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I admit it, I took the £60 whilst you had your gathering. I creeped in when no one was looking and used my cat like skills to quickly grab the money and went off into the dark of the night and no one was any the wiser. I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just kidnap person A and threaten to cut her boobs off if she doesn't confess to stealing the booze. Then she confesses under duress, and you have the crime solved!!

Hey.. it works for the US anti-terrorist guys.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.