Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Greatest Football Match You Have Ever Seen?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have recently re-watched Arsenal's 5-3 victory at Chelsea earlier this season; what a fabulous game that was, with goals galore, some fantastic football, a great atmosphere, plus it helped Arsenal reach their current position (3rd, at this match they were behind Chelsea!!)

This superb game got me thinking: what is the best game of football people have ever seen, either live at the stadium, on Match of the Day one Saturday evening, or on a DVD? Or in any other form for that matter!! And why? For the football? One moment of genius? Was it a title-decider? Was it the atmosphere, was it somebody's final game, or was it something else?

For me, that 5-3 game at Chelsea will be hard to beat. But then, with the top clubs, there have been so many fantastic games - I remember Arsenal's 7-0 walloping of Prague in the Champions League a while back. Now, that was quite some game!!

Please post your thoughts below. Go!!
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the Champions League final 2005 which was obviously tense, another great game was a few years ago when liverpool played Arsenal in the champions league 2008 when it was 4-2. Excellent game.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Aside from the Champions League final 2005 which was obviously tense, another great game was a few years ago when liverpool played Arsenal in the champions league 2008 when it was 4-2. Excellent game.
    Humph!! You were jammy in that 4-2 win!! I prefer our 4-2 win over you in the 2003/4 Invincible season!! But that 2005 final was very good. The 2006 Final was good too, just a shame about the crappy decision to send Lehmann off and that Valdez was having the game of his life, cos that final was Arsenal's for the taking!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    2010, world cup final
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    2005 Champions League Final.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummdhibun)
    2010, world cup final
    Hmmmmmm... I must say I personally disagree, I thought it was fairly average. And DeJong ruined it with all his fouls. But fair enough if you enjoyed the culmination of Africa's first World Cup!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J10)
    2005 Champions League Final.
    Yes. I remember that being very very entertaining!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

:coma:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    Hmmmmmm... I must say I personally disagree, I thought it was fairly average. And DeJong ruined it with all his fouls. But fair enough if you enjoyed the culmination of Africa's first World Cup!!
    Yeah, clearly, i haven't seen a foot ball match in such a long time, but i can't remember the match i actually liked, i think it was Chile vs. Argentina, or something - can't remeber. Whatever, i personally didn't like the south africa world cup - they did somethin retarded to the ball.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's two great games that stand out to me: both of which are excellent examples of both teams attacking from the start, desperate to win.

Liverpool 4 - 3 Newcastle. The first of these is pretty bitter-sweet, as it was one of the defining moments in our collapse in 1996. The image of Collymore scoring in the final minutes and Keegan's head hanging has become pretty iconic in Premier League history, but I appreciate this match for the attacking talent on display throughout. End-to-end, loads of goalscoring opportunities and some terrific saves from both keepers too. This is the best match that I've seen in English football and one of the best ever. Just a shame about the result.

Czech Republic 3 - 2 Netherlands. From Euro 2004. Anyone that watched Euro 2004 knows how good the Czech team really were. They were the best team in that competition, certainly from an attacking perspective. Just looking it up, there were 36 shots on goal in the game, 21 of these on target. The Czech Republic were 2-0 down after 20 minutes but came back to win in the later minutes of the game. Again, non-stop attacking football and a joy to watch.

There's also a host of Turkey matches from Euro 2008 that were some of the most entertaining I've ever seen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bath City FC v Ebbsfleet United. 0-0
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whey aye Cabaye)

:coma:
    Owch. Painful. I still cannot work out how we lost a 4-0 lead!! Damned entertaining match though!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal was a pretty good match! And Tiote's goal that got Newcastle level (as somebody posted above) was awesome.

As for the best i've seen live, the 2009/10 League Cup semi-final Villa v Blackburn second leg. Finished 6-4 to Villa! The occasion and the score made sure it was probably the best game i've ever been to. There was despair (when Blackburn were 2-0 up pretty early on, and ahead on aggregate), and pure joy (when we levelled it up before halftime, and then second half scored 4 more!)
    Even Heskey got in on the act, taking it around the keeper and slotting it home!
    We made it to our first cup final in years, everyone got on the pitch, it was awesome.
    • 136 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the contenders:

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool PL 2003
    Bolton 0-2 Chelsea PL 2005
    Chelsea 4-2 Barcelona CL 2005
    Chelsea 5-0 Man Utd PL 1999
    Chelsea 6-0 Man City PL 2007
    Chelsea 8-0 Wigan PL 2010
    Liverpool 3-3 AC Milan (Liverpool win on pens) CL 2005
    Man Utd 2-1 Bayern Munich CL 1999
    Man Utd 1-6 Man City PL 2011
    Man Utd 8-2 Arsenal PL 2011
    Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal PL 2011
    Motherwell 6-6 Hibernian SPL 2010
    Turkey 1-1 Croatia (Turkey win on pens) EC 2008
    Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid LL 2010
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    France vs Brazil 2006, I think it was the quarter finals of the world cup.
    Epic match, Zidane was amazing in that match
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me as a Liverpool supporter it has to be 2005 champions league final in Istanbul!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    There's also a host of Turkey matches from Euro 2008 that were some of the most entertaining I've ever seen.
    Was it Turkey that came from 2-0 down against Czech Republic at Euro 2008?

Think they scored 2 goals around the 88th minute mark, amazing game!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff City vs Liverpool FC. Carling Cup Final 2012 @ Wembley.

Best match I have seen live, by far.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's loads to choose from!! Check this out..

http://www1.skysports.com/20seasons
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    2005 Champions League Final :yep:

As for ones that I've been there for.. I'd say Liverpool's 3 - 1 over Olympiakos in the 04/05 CL group stages. They scored first and we needed 3 goals to go through. Lo and behold, in the dying minutes of the game, Stevie G scored a boomer to put us through.
    I was 10 at the time, and was sitting in the Kop with my dad. When we scored the third goal, everyone went absolutely mental. My dad turned around to pick me up and celebrate, but a random man on my other side had already picked me up. I ended up being passed along the row and then back to my dad :lol:
    I consider it to be the best match purely because of that memory.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 22, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.