Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to build a computer, where to start?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So after a good 2 years with my current laptop, it's making its way to inevitable death. I'm looking to get a computer. I know I definitely don't want to get a pre-built one but I haven't got a clue where to start with building my own. :confused:

I'm a heavy gamer so gaming capability is a must, I also create animations/videos, etc, so I need top speeds to render them out.

My budget is about £1000, I can go a little over if necessary but that's just my baseline price.

I know which parts I need to buy, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, Case, Fan, PSU, etc, but I don't know which types are best or what is compatible with each-other.

Any tips on where to start, or even a quick guide?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    you need a monitor
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    and a keyboard
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    you need a monitor

and a keyboard
    'I know which parts I need to buy, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, Case, Fan, PSU, etc'

I know that, they come under the above highlighted part, along with an OS.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    'I know which parts I need to buy, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM, Case, Fan, PSU, etc'

I know that, they come under the above highlighted part, along with an OS.
    you need to buy pc games if u want your computer to be a gaming computer
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Start with which processor you want.

Then select a motherboard which is compatible with that processor (socket).

Then you buy all the other components which are compatible with the mother board.

Or you could just use this

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    you need to buy pc games if u want your computer to be a gaming computer
    Already have games on Steam.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binaryman)
    Start with which processor you want.

Then select a motherboard which is compatible with that processor (socket).

Then you buy all the other components which are compatible with the mother board.

Or you could just use this

http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles
    Thanks, that's actually really helpful
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are planning on building your own, then it's a good idea if you watch how people have assembled their computers on youtube.

You need to buy all the essential parts.

A good place to buy them will be from:

www.ebuyer.com
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.microdirect.co.uk
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As said above, Scan is a fantastic website with some great bundles. Be careful though some of their bundles are not pre-assembled (not sure if you want that though OP anyway!)

Make sure you get a decent PSU so that you can accomodate for any upgrades you should choose to get.

Do a good deal of information into everything, and make sure that if you're unsure ask on TSR or a tech forum ;-) It is not worth spending money, realising you're not happy and then realising you can't take it back! Believe me...been there....

The HD Radeon Graphics series is nice, and for a £1000 plus budget you can get a nice GPU but perhaps even a 7970 or something depending on how much money the rest of your parts are!

I'd spend some time looking around www.scan.co.uk or www.dabs.co.uk for parts, make sure they're compatible and then buy!

(make sure you get an antistatic wristband ect, better safe than sorry!)

Are you thinking of going Intel or AMD for Processor? Both have their advantages and at the moment the high end Intel processors seem to run a bit better on Win7 than the AMD ones.

Hope I've helped a bit and not confused.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Id say unless you can afford something more powerful (i7), get the i5 2500k CPU.. by far the best performance for the price atm and can overclock very well so if your happy to do that it should be pretty future proof.

Like binaryman said, you'l then want to pick a motherboard that is compatible with the processor, think about how much RAM you want (probably just get 8gb, its cheap and i doubt you need more than than, but if you do can always just get another 8gb) also if you pick the i5 2500k and want to overclock, the mobo cant be H61/67/77 chipset it needs to be P or Z im pretty sure. (e.g. Z68 or P67).

You probably dont want to do sli or crossfire for the GPU tbh looking at your budget, its definitely worth looking at some comparisons/benchmarks of graphics cards, but perhaps look at something like the hd6870? (unless you want more power - just take a look at the comparison charts to see what beats it and then take a look at the prices)

Some good websites for bits are: www.pixmania.co.uk, www.novatech.co.uk, www.scan.co.uk, www.ebuyer.com,
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just george)
    Id say unless you can afford something more powerful (i7), get the i5 2500k CPU..
    He said he has £1000 which is more than enough for a new i7 2700k as long as he spends wisely on the other parts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylegg)
    He said he has £1000 which is more than enough for a new i7 2700k as long as he spends wisely on the other parts.
    But if that includes things like monitor and windows it can go down pretty quick, sure he could afford an i7 2700k, but then he would need a cheaper graphics card. Unless the animation/video stuff OP does is very heavy on the system, he wont notice the difference between the i5 and i7 (especially not for gaming) and the money would be better spent on the gpu..

edit: although saying that, the price has gone down a lot since i last looked, sorry - i thought the i7's were still over £300.. - perhaps your right and that is a better option
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go with the standard:
    1155 socket motherboard (P8P67 pro or evo)
    Intel i5 2500k
    An after market cooler (not really sure about the newest models, shope around and look for reviews)
    8GB RAM (CL9-9-9-24) - G skill ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance are what the cool kids get nowadays (they're both good sticks of RAM, I have the low profile Corsairs because of my after market cooler)
    1TB HDD of your choice (I'm a fan of the Western Digital Caviar Black personally, Seagate do good HDD too)
    Graphics card is where you have the most choice really, GTX 580 should just about fit in your budget, or you could always for a new generation one, up to you.
    Best bet is to buy a monitor on offer, they're all much of a muchness really if you go for a decent brand. I have a 23" LG Flatron which does me nicely.

Then you just a need a case, a keyboard (MS sidewinder seem to me to be the best value for money with good usability) and a mouse (personal preference again really, but I love my Razer Abyssus)

That's a quick overview. The i5 rigs are the most popular in your budget range for good reason. Mine runs like a dream and I feel that if I spent any more I'd have wasted money (think mine ended up costing around £800 with some shopping around and a cheaper graphics card than the GTX 580)

Have fun!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    If you are planning on building your own, then it's a good idea if you watch how people have assembled their computers on youtube.

You need to buy all the essential parts.

A good place to buy them will be from:

www.ebuyer.com
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.microdirect.co.uk
    Yeah, I will do, thanks for the advice and the useful websites

(Original post by mikeylegg)
    As said above, Scan is a fantastic website with some great bundles. Be careful though some of their bundles are not pre-assembled (not sure if you want that though OP anyway!)

Make sure you get a decent PSU so that you can accomodate for any upgrades you should choose to get.

Do a good deal of information into everything, and make sure that if you're unsure ask on TSR or a tech forum ;-) It is not worth spending money, realising you're not happy and then realising you can't take it back! Believe me...been there....

The HD Radeon Graphics series is nice, and for a £1000 plus budget you can get a nice GPU but perhaps even a 7970 or something depending on how much money the rest of your parts are!

I'd spend some time looking around www.scan.co.uk or www.dabs.co.uk for parts, make sure they're compatible and then buy!

(make sure you get an antistatic wristband ect, better safe than sorry!)

Are you thinking of going Intel or AMD for Processor? Both have their advantages and at the moment the high end Intel processors seem to run a bit better on Win7 than the AMD ones.

Hope I've helped a bit and not confused.
    Nah mate, not confusing at all, crystal clear
    I'm most likely be going with Intel, know a bit more about those than I do about AMD.
    Thanks for the advice.

(Original post by just george)
    Id say unless you can afford something more powerful (i7), get the i5 2500k CPU.. by far the best performance for the price atm and can overclock very well so if your happy to do that it should be pretty future proof.

Like binaryman said, you'l then want to pick a motherboard that is compatible with the processor, think about how much RAM you want (probably just get 8gb, its cheap and i doubt you need more than than, but if you do can always just get another 8gb) also if you pick the i5 2500k and want to overclock, the mobo cant be H61/67/77 chipset it needs to be P or Z im pretty sure. (e.g. Z68 or P67).

You probably dont want to do sli or crossfire for the GPU tbh looking at your budget, its definitely worth looking at some comparisons/benchmarks of graphics cards, but perhaps look at something like the hd6870? (unless you want more power - just take a look at the comparison charts to see what beats it and then take a look at the prices)

Some good websites for bits are: www.pixmania.co.uk, www.novatech.co.uk, www.scan.co.uk, www.ebuyer.com,
    Yeah, I'm going away with the army and will get about £1600 from that, which is pretty much my budget for a new computer since I'm desperate. Wanting to stay around the grand marker though so I have some cash spare.
    Like you said about just getting more RAM if I need it, I'm just gonna start off with the essentials and if I need anything else get that later on.

Yeah, I'll look into the GPUs now

Thanks for the advice and links!

Any recommendations for a case?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    go to reddit.com/r/buildapc for help with parts choices and support
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd get a nice fulltower case if I were you, they're around £100 + But a Coolermaster or some other similar brand could get you a very nice one. As for RAM I'd reccomend probably 8GB Of Corsair vengance (1600) as it's only about £40 for that ;-) You might have to get the low profile RAM if you need a big CPU cooler for Overclocking though.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Go with the standard:
    1155 socket motherboard (P8P67 pro or evo)
    Intel i5 2500k
    An after market cooler (not really sure about the newest models, shope around and look for reviews)
    8GB RAM (CL9-9-9-24) - G skill ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance are what the cool kids get nowadays (they're both good sticks of RAM, I have the low profile Corsairs because of my after market cooler)
    1TB HDD of your choice (I'm a fan of the Western Digital Caviar Black personally, Seagate do good HDD too)
    Graphics card is where you have the most choice really, GTX 580 should just about fit in your budget, or you could always for a new generation one, up to you.
    Best bet is to buy a monitor on offer, they're all much of a muchness really if you go for a decent brand. I have a 23" LG Flatron which does me nicely.

Then you just a need a case, a keyboard (MS sidewinder seem to me to be the best value for money with good usability) and a mouse (personal preference again really, but I love my Razer Abyssus)

That's a quick overview. The i5 rigs are the most popular in your budget range for good reason. Mine runs like a dream and I feel that if I spent any more I'd have wasted money (think mine ended up costing around £800 with some shopping around and a cheaper graphics card than the GTX 580)

Have fun!
    Awesome round up man! I owe you some rep.

I'll look into each of those parts now and chop and change for personal preference.

Thanks
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axhdn)
    go to reddit.com/r/buildapc for help with parts choices and support
    I'm afraid if I venture onto Reddit I may never come back :lolwut:

Thanks for the advice!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Yeah, I will do, thanks for the advice and the useful websites

Nah mate, not confusing at all, crystal clear
    I'm most likely be going with Intel, know a bit more about those than I do about AMD.
    Thanks for the advice.

Yeah, I'm going away with the army and will get about £1600 from that, which is pretty much my budget for a new computer since I'm desperate. Wanting to stay around the grand marker though so I have some cash spare.
    Like you said about just getting more RAM if I need it, I'm just gonna start off with the essentials and if I need anything else get that later on.

Yeah, I'll look into the GPUs now

Thanks for the advice and links!

Any recommendations for a case?
    Unless you go on an absolute mad one and get a pc that can play all games at ten thousand fps then i doubt you will go over £1000 But i guess im more used to looking at lower budget pc's :L

For the case, i'm not normally bothered by the look - but i dont know about you. Do you want the case to be small (micro atx) or happy with standard size (atx)? i tend to look through novatech's range of cases, but again thats just personal preference perhaps something like http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...l800m1w2n.html ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.