Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was the Titanic love story a true story?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am fascinated by the history of the Titanic disaster and have seen the Titanic film. I was just wonderin if anyone could answer this question - was the love story in the Titanic a true story? Did Jack and Rose really exist? We know the Titanic is based on a true event, but I was wondering about the love story, was their love affair actually real, did those people actually sail on the ship or was it just made up for the film?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just a Hollywood fairytale.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jack and Rose didn't exist.

A lot of the characters in the film did though, e.g. a lot of the crew, the designer, the director of the company and Molly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misty_miss)
    I am fascinated by the history of the Titanic disaster and have seen the Titanic film. I was just wonderin if anyone could answer this question - was the love story in the Titanic a true story? Did Jack and Rose really exist? We know the Titanic is based on a true event, but I was wondering about the love story, was their love affair actually real, did those people actually sail on the ship or was it just made up for the film?
    I'm sure it was only for entertainment purposes.. but no doubt they probably were people like that,,
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Jack and Rose were just made up to add interest but there might have really been two young people who fell in love whilst aboard... who knows? :moon:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol, no.

There was a crewman called Joseph Dawson.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nucleolus)
    ok
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't true, it was just for drama. However, many of the characters were real, historic people such as Margaret 'Molly' Brown and J. Bruce Ismay.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    From http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/titanic.php:

Were Jack and Rose based on real people?
    No. Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater, portrayed in the movie by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, are almost entirely fictional characters (James Cameron modeled the character of Rose after American artist Beatrice Wood, who had no connection to Titanic history). The movie's love story is also fiction. It was created by Titanic screenwriter and director James Cameron. In addition to Rose and Jack, a handful of other characters associated with them are fictional as well. They include Rose's fiancé Caledon 'Cal' Hockley (Billy Zane), her mother Ruth (Frances Fisher), Cal's valet Spicer Lovejoy (David Warner), and the third class passengers, who include Jack's friends Fabrizio (Danny Nucci) and Tommy (Jason Barry). Some of the third class passengers were modeled after real people.

I heard there was a J. Dawson on board the Titanic, is that true?
    Yes. A man who signed his name J. Dawson did board the Titanic. However, the J. stood for Joseph, not Jack. Born in Dublin, Joseph Dawson was a member of the Titanic crew. He worked as a coal trimmer (it was his job to even out the piles of coal that were shoveled into the ship's furnaces). James Cameron said that he was not aware of Joseph Dawson until after finishing his Titanic screenplay. Still, lovestruck fans of the 1997 movie ventured to J. Dawson's grave in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where they left cinema stubs, personal photos, and pictures of Leonardo DiCaprio (the exact burial location is Grave 227 in Fairview Lawn Cemetery, Halifax, Nova Scotia). Another coincidental character created by James Cameron was Jack's Irish friend Tommy Ryan (Jason Barry). The ship's manifest lists a Thomas Ryan, a 27-year-old steward from third class whose body, if recovered, was never identified.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    I'm sure it was only for entertainment purposes.. but no doubt they probably were people like that,,
    Oh right, ok. I thought the point of making a movie about the Titanic was to portray the real events, seems odd they'd make up a love story as part of it lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It was a one night stand gone miserably wrong. Its all for entertainment purposes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, the love story with Rose and Jack isn't true, but there are some characters who are based on real people who were actually on the Titanic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off-topic, but some people didn't actually know that the movie Titanic was based on real events :lol:

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/20...tanic-was-real
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's Hollywood not many real stories come from Hollywood

But for all we know there could have been a couple that did fall in love on the titanic
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympus123456)
    It was a one night stand gone miserably wrong. Its all for entertainment purposes.
    Eh, how did their 'one night stand' go 'miserably wrong'. I know he drowned in the end, but I mean their actual love affair was pretty passionate I thought.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, ok. I thought the point of making a movie about the Titanic was to portray the real events, seems odd they'd make up a love story as part of it lol.
    If they didn't have some story to go with it people would lose interest and it would seem more like a documentary than a film. The audience needs a main character(s) to relate to/focus on so they can become engrossed in the movie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ra Ra Ra)
    Slightly off-topic, but some people didn't actually know that the movie Titanic was based on real events :lol:

http://www.complex.com/city-guide/20...tanic-was-real
    Lol there are some very docile people out there.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of documentaries that show the true events of the Titanic, as is the case with many films that there are based on true events. A vast majority of films take artistic licence and exaggerate or twist certain parts to make it more interesting, off the top of my head I can think of several films/tv series that don't show things in an accurate portrayal.

The Tudors
    Inglorious bastards
    Pocahontas
    Shakespeare in Love
    Braveheart
    Gladiator

These are just some off the top of my head that take liberities with history, exaggerating, adding things, inaccuracies etc made to add more drama. Titanic is just another in a long line of such shows.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is a Hollywood film, the point of making Titanic was to make money and it was extremely successful. Sex sells and the heartfelt love story appeals to a lot of audiences, something Hollywood was looking to do at the time.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.