Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Repeal Amendment Proposal

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    My point relating to activity logically assumes that bills may become prohibitive at around the same time as last time, hence if it is the case then it may be logical to set some ground rules as suggested.
    Why though?

What if it doesn't?

It's no extra work to decide this stuff in the future when we have more of the 'maybes' known.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    Why though?

What if it doesn't?

It's no extra work to decide this stuff in the future when we have more of the 'maybes' known.
    If we put it off, when it comes around it will be a partisan issue. Parties will try to score points and one up each other, and this should be a neutral issue. In order for this to be a neutral issue, then it should be put in the Constitution. I say it's better we prepare for the future now than got caught with our metaphorical trousers around our ankles.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    If you were to say it is tedious for older members, I'd agree. However, how many current MPs have been active in the House longer than 4 years? I'd argue it is a small number, and I'd say that the number of MPs who would benefit from being able to discuss a wider range of material would outweight the number of MPs who have to endure a re-run of some bills.
    There would have been more veteran MPs in the Model House of Commons if the Great Repeal Act (GRA) had not been passed. I for one no longer have an interest in debating Bills. It effectively destroyed all of the historical progress of this Model House of Commons game dating back several years. As someone who strongly resisted, let me tell you that the GRA failed to achieve what it set out to do whilst ruining the good game that we already had in place.

Again I have in the passed dealt with this nonsensical argument that new members cannot discuss issues that have already been dealt with. Of course they can discuss them! It doesn't matter how much legislation regarding taxation has been passed already: anyone can come and propose their own taxation policy. All issues are open to discussion no matter what legislation has previously been passed. Ask yourself this: do you have a policy matter in mind that you can't discuss because of previous legislation?

Another myth is that GRA increases activity by encouraging new members to join. This is utterly false and a total misunderstanding of why people join and post in the first place. There is nothing in the Model House of Commons which suggests that people don't join or post because of old TSR legislation. To the contrary, people like the idea that this is a game with its very own laws created by the very people who participate in it. The whole point of this place and what distinguishes it from any other debating forum is that we pass laws after we debate them. This becomes a completely pointless exercise if you reset the game.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    There would have been more veteran MPs in the Model House of Commons if the Great Repeal Act (GRA) had not been passed. I for one no longer have an interest in debating Bills. It effectively destroyed all of the historical progress of this Model House of Commons game dating back several years. As someone who strongly resisted, let me tell you that the GRA failed to achieve what it set out to do whilst ruining the good game that we already had in place.

Again I have in the passed dealt with this nonsensical argument that new members cannot discuss issues that have already been dealt with. Of course they can discuss them! It doesn't matter how much legislation regarding taxation has been passed already: anyone can come and propose their own taxation policy. All issues are open to discussion no matter what legislation has previously been passed. Ask yourself this: do you have a policy matter in mind that you can't discuss because of previous legislation?

Another myth is that GRA increases activity by encouraging new members to join. This is utterly false and a total misunderstanding of why people join and post in the first place. There is nothing in the Model House of Commons which suggests that people don't join or post because of old TSR legislation. To the contrary, people like the idea that this is a game with its very own laws created by the very people who participate in it. The whole point of this place and what distinguishes it from any other debating forum is that we pass laws after we debate them. This becomes a completely pointless exercise if you reset the game.
    Oh Mouse, you are dreamy at times.
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Oh Mouse, you are dreamy at times.
    You flirt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    You flirt.
    This is turning into a Graham Greene novel!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 1, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.