Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RTS fans, suggest me a game...

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey RTS fans of tsr, suggest me a game?

Basically the situation is that I'm looking for a (probably older) strategy game to play on my laptop. The fact I'm on a laptop should explain to you why the game will probably have to be older, or at least not too demanding.

I'm currently playing Rome Total War, and I think it's a brilliant game. I can play online and actually have someone join my game in a few minutes or so at peak times. I'm trying to convince my mate to buy it as well so I can play with him.

Anyway, Rome doesn't have the community it used to (the game is like 6 years old) so I was wondering if anyone knows anything worth playing? I'm considering Starcraft 2, or at least giving it a go and seeing what it's like. Not sure whether there is a demo around?

I'm aware of AoE, LoL etc but they don't really appeal to me. My mate is lending me Age of Mythology however, do people still play that? I know it's pretty ancient so I doubt it but who knows. Alternatively I can stick with the very much still playable, but lacking a large player base, Rome.

Cheers

Edit: I shall attempt to post specs but I'm awful at computers:

Intel Core i3 CPU
    m 350 @ 2.27 GHz 2.27GHz
    2.74 GB usable
    64 bit operating system

My laptop is decent, but really falls down with the graphics card. That said, I can run RTW absolutely fine when I drop some of the settings down, and can host 1v1 online games without any lag at all (not tried hosting more than a 1v1 but I have played 2v2 fine off other people's host)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wololo

You're now into AoE
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Wololo
    Not even sure what this is

You're now into AoE
    Eh, doesn't appeal to me particularly, just the whole era doesn't really do much for me. Will check out some other videos though
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Not even sure what this is

Eh, doesn't appeal to me particularly, just the whole era doesn't really do much for me. Will check out some other videos though
    You'd know what it is if you play AoE 1
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'd know what it is if you play AoE 1
    I've never played AoE, but like I said, will have Mythology soon.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously because of the laptops specs I can't recommend SupCom, though tbh I don't know how the community is doing there anyway.

Starcraft 2 is good and obviously it has a large community. Only thing I'd say is it's VERY fast paced, using a laptop pad for the cursor might be too much of a hindrance, so connecting a mouse would likely be very useful. The game is too fast for me, I like to watch my units fighting..then I forget to multi task and actually have other units building, expanding my base etc. I could get away with this flaw most of the times in the Command and Conquer series of games but...SC2 is unforgiving.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are into total war play medieval total war, i've played both rome and medieval, i do think rome is probably better but if you are getting bored of it this would be a good game, and it won't put any strain on your laptop.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never played AoE, but like I said, will have Mythology soon.
    The Age of Mythology 'Cat and Mouse' games were ****ing sick.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Obviously because of the laptops specs I can't recommend SupCom, though tbh I don't know how the community is doing there anyway.

Starcraft 2 is good and obviously it has a large community. Only thing I'd say is it's VERY fast paced, using a laptop pad for the cursor might be too much of a hindrance, so connecting a mouse would likely be very useful. The game is too fast for me, I like to watch my units fighting..then I forget to multi task and actually have other units building, expanding my base etc. I could get away with this flaw most of the times in the Command and Conquer series of games but...SC2 is unforgiving.
    Oh definitely, I always play games with a mouse, it's absolutely impossible with a touchpad I too had the wish to watch small battles while playing RTW, and then I would totally lose grasp of the overall battle. Best thing to do for me is to finish the game, save a replay, and then go back and watch an epic fight one particular unit had

(Original post by Jedleh)
    If you are into total war play medieval total war, i've played both rome and medieval, i do think rome is probably better but if you are getting bored of it this would be a good game, and it won't put any strain on your laptop.
    I played the M2TW demo, and wasn't that keen for various reasons:

- I much prefer the Ancient period to the Medieval period, just more interesting to me personally

- Rome seems to be a faster game overall, arguably meaning you need better micro

- Rome runs better due to its age, but I think it's generally a much better game, at least for me personally

Cheers for posting though guys, Starcraft is the most likely one to try at the moment if I can find a demo.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:

Basically the situation is that I'm looking for a (probably older) strategy game to play on my laptop. The fact I'm on a laptop should explain to you why the game will probably have to be older, or at least not too demanding.

I'm currently playing Rome Total War, and I think it's a brilliant game. I can play online and actually have someone join my game in a few minutes or so at peak times. I'm trying to convince my mate to buy it as well so I can play with him.

Anyway, Rome doesn't have the community it used to (the game is like 6 years old) so I was wondering if anyone knows anything worth playing? I'm considering Starcraft 2, or at least giving it a go and seeing what it's like. Not sure whether there is a demo around?

I'm aware of AoE, LoL etc but they don't really appeal to me. My mate is lending me Age of Mythology however, do people still play that? I know it's pretty ancient so I doubt it but who knows. Alternatively I can stick with the very much still playable, but lacking a large player base, Rome.

Cheers

Intel Core i3 CPU
    m 350 @ 2.27 GHz 2.27GHz
    2.74 GB usable
    64 bit operating system

My laptop is decent, but really falls down with the graphics card. That said, I can run RTW absolutely fine when I drop some of the settings down, and can host 1v1 online games without any lag at all (not tried hosting more than a 1v1 but I have played 2v2 fine off other people's host)

starcraft 2 and 1 are amazing
    there is lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 and a rise of the witch king expansion pack
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    The Age of Mythology 'Cat and Mouse' games were ****ing sick.
    I'm going to borrow the game, but I'm more looking for something to play online with a decent community

(Original post by getoom)
    starcraft 2 and 1 are amazing
    there is lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 and a rise of the witch king expansion pack
    As a big LotR nerd, I should check this out, do people still play it mate? There was a LotR mod for Total War, but sadly it was only for Medieval (on top of that I think it was the Kingdoms expansion as well) so I couldn't play it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Download various mods for Rome total War and then buy Medieval 2 and do likewise

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=214

Hours and hours more entertainment without buying a new game. I'd recommend:
    Europa Barbarorum (EB)
    Roma Surrectum
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patriot Rich)
    Download various mods for Rome total War and then buy Medieval 2 and do likewise

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=214

Hours and hours more entertainment without buying a new game. I'd recommend:
    Europa Barbarorum (EB)
    Roma Surrectum
    Ahh, TWC forums, lurked there in the past aha

I've heard about Barbarorum, looks like the most in depth mod out there, but I'm not sure people will play it online?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wololo

You're now into AoE
    +rep for AoE.

OP AoE2 should work too. It is better than 1 and 3 in my opinion.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to borrow the game, but I'm more looking for something to play online with a decent community

As a big LotR nerd, I should check this out, do people still play it mate? There was a LotR mod for Total War, but sadly it was only for Medieval (on top of that I think it was the Kingdoms expansion as well) so I couldn't play it.
    the server was shut down actually but i still play it coz' i too am a huge LOTR nerd btw hv u joined the lotr society on tsr? its pretty dead at the moment but im trying to recruit
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's an amazing LOTR mod for Total War 2.

Not sure if it'd run on your laptop though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can check out starcraft before you buy it.

www.teamliquid.net

Look at the streamers with [sc2] next to their name on the right hand side. If you like it, get it. It's a good game. Idra is streaming right now. ( http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/IdrA )
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getoom)
    the server was shut down actually but i still play it coz' i too am a huge LOTR nerd btw hv u joined the lotr society on tsr? its pretty dead at the moment but im trying to recruit
    Ahh, that sucks. And no I haven't noticed it before, will check it out some time.

(Original post by ForensicShoe)
    There's an amazing LOTR mod for Total War 2.

Not sure if it'd run on your laptop though.
    If you mean Shogun 2, then definitely not. If you mean M2TW, you are probably referring to the same mod as I am (Third Age) in which case my laptop probably could run it if I lowered some of the detail, effects, don't use the biggest scales etc. I ran the Medieval 2 demo just fine when I altered some settings

(Original post by RyanT)
    You can check out starcraft before you buy it.

www.teamliquid.net

Look at the streamers with [sc2] next to their name on the right hand side. If you like it, get it. It's a good game. Idra is streaming right now. ( http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/IdrA )
    Cheers mate. I actually saw Idra play when I was looking through gameplay; he seems like a great player but he is one of the worst losers I have seen in a long time. Great player, bad at taking a loss it would seem.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, TWC forums, lurked there in the past aha

I've heard about Barbarorum, looks like the most in depth mod out there, but I'm not sure people will play it online?
    You're right. Mods aren't great for online, you'll only really find that in Vanilla. Barbarorum does have an amazing and challenging campaign experience which is really polished so it might be worth a go even if you're more of a multilayer man.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:

Cheers

Intel Core i3 CPU
    m 350 @ 2.27 GHz 2.27GHz
    2.74 GB usable
    64 bit operating system

AOE 3 in particular the Asian dyntasy expansion....I think AOE 3 with the 2 expansion is like £25 or something.
    Though their on-line games do go up to 4 vs 4.

What about the barbarian expansion for RTW.....Age of Mythology is very good just Age of Empire with the mythical twist............look at Warcraft the original RTS.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.