Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Landlord cheated?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think my landlord has made a mistake with my rent and deposit but I just needed to double check with you guys before I confront him.

I pay my rent on the 1st of every month and moved in on 13th September last year.

My rent is £285 a week which I believe is £1235 per month. However on my contract it says £1238. I didn't realise it until months later so I ignored it as it wasn't even that much difference to begin with.

My deposit was 6 weeks rent = £1710. I paid that amount together with the rent from 13th to 30th Sept which totalled £2443. That means rent for that month was £733.

I just moved out on 12th April so the rent for this month was deducted from my security deposit. He returned £1180 which means this months rent was £530.

Now I'm not sure how he counted that, but if it is counted per day, September and April rates don't seem to match up.

Did he calculate it wrong or am I missing something here?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippobluecampe)
    I think my landlord has made a mistake with my rent and deposit but I just needed to double check with you guys before I confront him.

I pay my rent on the 1st of every month and moved in on 13th September last year.

My rent is £285 a week which I believe is £1235 per month. However on my contract it says £1238. I didn't realise it until months later so I ignored it as it wasn't even that much difference to begin with.

My deposit was 6 weeks rent = £1710. I paid that amount together with the rent from 13th to 30th Sept which totalled £2443. That means rent for that month was £733.

I just moved out on 12th April so the rent for this month was deducted from my security deposit. He returned £1180 which means this months rent was £530.

Now I'm not sure how he counted that, but if it is counted per day, September and April rates don't seem to match up.

Did he calculate it wrong or am I missing something here?
    seems pretty steep, even for London :erm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's cheap considering the fact that through an agent I would've needed to pay over £350
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    nah... it's still hella expensive
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    FOARK ME that's expensive.

I pay £350 a MONTH let alone £250 a WEEK :lolwut:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    That rent is genuine bankrape.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he's charged you for an extra day. Going by the £1238 rate (though you're right, it should be £1235), your rent is £40.70 per day. That's £733 for the 18 days you were in there for September, so he got that right. Should therefore be £488 for the 12 days you were in there this month, but he's charged you for 13. Did you return the key on the same day you moved out?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Yeah, he's charged you for an extra day. Going by the £1238 rate (though you're right, it should be £1235), your rent is £40.70 per day. That's £733 for the 18 days you were in there for September, so he got that right. Should therefore be £488 for the 12 days you were in there this month, but he's charged you for 13. Did you return the key on the same day you moved out?
    Excuse me if I don't understand simple calculations, but care to share what you did to get those figures? Also bear in mind that this year is a leap year so there's an extra day, but I'm not sure if that counts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippobluecampe)
    Excuse me if I don't understand simple calculations, but care to share what you did to get those figures? Also bear in mind that this year is a leap year so there's an extra day, but I'm not sure if that counts.
    Daily charge is ((£1238 * 12) / 365) = £40.71. (You get the leap day free )

In September, you were there from the 13th through the 30th, that's 18 days, so 18 times the above is £732.86 - rounded up to £733.

In April, you were there from the 1st through the 12th. 12 times the above is £488.57. Looks like he was calculating based on 13 days instead, as 13 times the daily charge is just under £530.

By the way, I realised why your monthly charge is £1238. It's because there aren't 52 weeks in a year, there are 52 weeks and a day. ((365 / 7) * 285) is £14860.71 per year; divide by 12 gives you £1238.39 per month.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where are you living?

Buckingham Palace?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your rent is £235 per week then its:

£285 * 52 weeks / 12 months = £1235 per month
    £285 / 7 days = £40.80 per day

So he has charged 13 days for the last month since £40.80 x 13 = £530.40.

Also this is very standard rent for London - this will barely get you a 2 bed flat in a reasonable area of Zone 3, and a small 1 bed in Zone 1.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Where are you living?

Buckingham Palace?
    Haha no, South Kensington
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Daily charge is ((£1238 * 12) / 365) = £40.71. (You get the leap day free )

In September, you were there from the 13th through the 30th, that's 18 days, so 18 times the above is £732.86 - rounded up to £733.

In April, you were there from the 1st through the 12th. 12 times the above is £488.57. Looks like he was calculating based on 13 days instead, as 13 times the daily charge is just under £530.

By the way, I realised why your monthly charge is £1238. It's because there aren't 52 weeks in a year, there are 52 weeks and a day. ((365 / 7) * 285) is £14860.71 per year; divide by 12 gives you £1238.39 per month.
    That's what I thought! Thanks it makes more sense now. I've sent him an email early in the week but still no reply

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.